Windows 10: Windows Explorer search functionality not working

Discus and support Windows Explorer search functionality not working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Cannot get result when we do a simple file search. Some times it keeps loading and sometimes get blank result... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnBruce2, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer search functionality not working

Cannot get result when we do a simple file search. Some times it keeps loading and sometimes get blank result

:)

JohnBruce2, Nov 11, 2018

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Nov 11, 2018
  3. Search Function on File Explorer is not Working

Hi,

In response to your questions:

1. Did you make any changes to your PC prior to this issue?

Not that I am aware of.

2. Can you type in the search bar when you do not click on the Start button?

The search button on the task bar works - it is the search box on file explorer that is not functioning

Windows Explorer search functionality not working c2c1fe5f-5306-4cb2-9dc7-b2a07fe3713b.png

3. What troubleshooting steps have to tried to fix the issue?

Confirmed file explorer options are set to default

Indexing Options - the only exclusion is against OS(CWindows Explorer search functionality not working :) and that is Data; AppData; AppData

4. Does the issue occur when you are performing or running certain specific in the background?

The issue occurs even when only 1 File Explorer Window is open and task manager is not showing other programs running.

Re Method One - the search box in the control panel does not work. I opened via viewing as icons

and used both the default Files don't appear in search results and Search Function on File Explorer is not working as both a user and an administrator which led to explore additonal information which led to this website.

Re Method Two - response was

• Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Windows Updates show the device is up to date.

Previously, as I typed into the search box, it would start searching at the first keystroke and now nothing.

Any more help will be appreciated.

Dragonfly171, Nov 11, 2018
  4. Abe07 Win User

Windows Explorer search functionality not working

Proxy Explorer window search function does not work

Yeah I have known about this. However programs are allowed to register their file type used to generate a global list, which the index program uses. I am guessing that it is related to that, or alternatively the file type dialog in the Open Explorer window, which seems to be generated by the particular program that uses it.

There is an open ticket for file association in Windows 10 in the MPC HC forums, although none about search function.

Does the "media files..." options in the file type dialog of Open for VLC work when you try to search? I am referring to the option highlighted in red BTW.

Windows Explorer search functionality not working [​IMG]

Abe07, Nov 11, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer search functionality not working

1. Windows Explorer search functionality not working - Similar Threads - Explorer search functionality

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  6. Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work

in Cortana
    Search Function in Windows 10 File Explorer Does Not Work: I get zero results from any search done directly in the search box in Windows file explorer. If instead I use the search box on the task bar to search for documents, that action copies the search into the search box in file explorer. The search then begins, but because it is...
  7. Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in File Explorer is not working correctly: step to reproduce: 1, in any folder, create a file named "ConfigurationManager.txt" 2, search "manager" 3, result is nothing how can I fix this?...
  8. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  9. Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning: My windows search has stopped working. It cannot find any files. For example, if I go to C:\Temp and try to find a file called example.txt it cannot find the file nor any other file. If I go to Index Options, the dialog is blank and although it says waiting to receive...
  10. Proxy Explorer window search function does not work

in Windows 10 Support
    Proxy Explorer window search function does not work: As the title implies, the search function on the Explore window does not work but only when Explore is being used by another program to open a file. That is a if I were to open Explore by itself I can search just fine. If on the other hand I open up a program and the program...