Windows 10: Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2

Discus and support Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem with windows explorer after updating my PC to 20H2 When I search using the search box it requires a lot of time to get the result or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sahand21, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Sahand21 Win User

Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2

I have a problem with windows explorer after updating my PC to 20H2

When I search using the search box it requires a lot of time to get the result or even sometimes it doesn't show anything at all
    Tried to rebuild the windows search indexing but it didn't work nor windows clean installation

I have another pc that runs windows 8.1 pro and it worked perfectly there without any problem, I used an external HDD too that isn't even indexed it worked as well too!

what is the problem? any suggestion?

Thanks.

:)

Sahand21, Apr 22, 2021
  2. sh1_996 Win User

File explorer/search very very very slow

Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!!

Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the culprit. Tried Microsoft - reinstall the whole OS ... great. Did this, not better. Have tried several options including

1. stopping network connection

2. stopping cloud access/services - OneDrive

3. clearing search registries

4. rebuilding search index

5. disabling windows search in system config ...

6. Clearing File Explorer History

7. other 'tweeks' for suggestions

PS Have 100+Gb free on disks; 64G RAM; Xenon Quad processor - system is powerful

.... any other suggestions or anyone else having such issues without resolution?

sh1_996, Apr 22, 2021
  3. Xi Zhuang Win User
    File explorer search box history dispears after click Quick access

Windows 10 version 20h2

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open file explorer

2. type something in search box

3. clear search box

4. click search box again, you will see a drop down list showing recent search history

5. click the Quick access which is located at the top of file explorer Navigation pane

6. click search box again, it does not show the history list anymore

I have to close file explorer and open it again to get the search history back.

Xi Zhuang, Apr 22, 2021
  4. Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 22, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2

1. Windows Explorer Search Massively slow after updating to 20H2 - Similar Threads - Explorer Search Massively

2. Slow to a crawl after 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow to a crawl after 20H2: I updated Windows 10 a week ago to 20H2 and I have had a host of problems including: disk usage always at 100%, startup taking 10-15min consistently, web based programs (chrome, discord) take AGES to open, wifi dropping/cutting out. I've seen other people mentioning BSODs but...
  3. Update 20H2 slows down the Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update 20H2 slows down the Windows: Hi Team, I have recently upgraded my OS Version from 1909 to 20H2 but now my system is slows down and performance is degraded as it was in previous version of windows i.e. 1909. Could you help me to figure out the steps I should take to restore the performance of my...
  4. Laptop getting slow after the 20H2 Update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop getting slow after the 20H2 Update.: It is a shame that, Windows, who boasts itself as supreme operating system can't handle updates. I can tell you for sure that Windows 10 is slower than its predecessors. My laptop is a HP Pavilion x360 with i5-8th Gen and a 8GB RAM with 4GB DDR. It is just 2 years old and...
  5. Windows is laggy and slow after 20H2 update

Windows is laggy and slow after 20H2 update: Hi, I've recently decided to update my windows 10 machine to 20H2 in order to use some WSL 2 features. I have noticed, however, that my PC gets annoyingly laggy when using the Windows Terminal, WSL, Chrome or just by opening any other program. Has anyone ever had this problem...
  6. After updating to 20H2, Programs are loading slow.

After updating to 20H2, Programs are loading slow.: I searched the sub-reddit and didn't see if anyone else is having this issue, so if this is a repost I apologize. But essentially. I updated to 20H2, and anytime I go to launch a program, Chrome, Discord, Game, whatever. They are taking an extremely long time to load up. I...
  7. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  8. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  9. Windows explorer slow file search

in Cortana
    Windows explorer slow file search: The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file search software full of options....
  10. Extremely Slow System After Massive Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extremely Slow System After Massive Update: Ever since my Windows 10 installed a big update a week or two ago, my PC has been acting very strange. The simplest commands take forever to load the picture viewer seems to be the biggest offender. Today, when I turned on my PC, I was met with just a black screen and a...