Windows 10: Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

Discus and support Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning in Cortana to solve the problem; My windows search has stopped working. It cannot find any files. For example, if I go to C:\Temp and try to find a file called example.txt it cannot... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by OpusOne96, May 10, 2019.

1. OpusOne96 Win User

Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

My windows search has stopped working. It cannot find any files. For example, if I go to C:\Temp and try to find a file called example.txt it cannot find the file nor any other file.

If I go to Index Options, the dialog is blank and although it says waiting to receive indexing status it never returns with any values after several hour. If I click on the "Advanced" button the dialog locks up and I need to kill the process in task manager or reboot my PC.

Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning 9b1667d2-d4cf-402a-95bc-1eed6cab80d7?upload=true.jpg

The registry looks like this Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning e6805afd-ee5e-4bc2-beea-8a1be5a219e6?upload=true.jpg

It there a way to blow away the WSearch process and completely reset it so that it rebuilds all its files? I have been searching for solutions but have not found any that worked. BTW, sfc /scannow returns nothing. The troubleshooter also returns nothing. To me, the troubleshooter is NOT looking at everything that could be wrong nor does it have a way to reset search WHICH it should.

Looking for help, anyone have any possible solutions?

When I try to delete all the search files, it fails. Should I be shutting down the WSearch service first? Is there a command line command(s) to make this easy to do in a batch?

:)

OpusOne96, May 10, 2019

2. WINDOWS EXPLORER SEARCH FUNCTION

Just a follow up to my original question. None of the suggestions have helped. Explorer Search function still just searches forever with no results. Thanks, Harry

HarrySwihart, May 10, 2019
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, May 10, 2019
  4. Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, May 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning

1. Windows Explorer Search no longer functioning - Similar Threads - Explorer Search longer

2. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  3. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function in Explorer: When I search in Explorer for something, i get a list of the files which contain that search item. However, I need to know in which folder those files are and I can't see any way of establishing that without actually opening the files. I want to be able to establish in which...
  4. Search function in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explore search powered by windows search is missing functions: [ATTACH] Why are these functions from the old search missing? Why are we forced to use the ribbon? Instant search. Have to press enter now. Dropdown for kind, size options, date range calendar... Completely missing. Blue coloring for kind, size, date syntax... Its only...
  6. Windows Explorer search box not functional

in Cortana
    Windows Explorer search box not functional: This is slightly different to the error reported by others. Most of the time, even earlier today, I could type something into the search box in Windows Explorer. I’m a little annoyed that I now have to click an extra button to get it to search, but that’s not the error....
  7. The recent change to the search function in explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    The recent change to the search function in explorer?: So up until what I assume is one of the most recent windows updates (didnt catch it until now) i used the explorer search function quite extensively. It allowed for wrapping something in double quotes to narrow down particular words, or leading with ~= to get an exact...
  8. File folder search function no longer works

in Windows 10 Support
    File folder search function no longer works: As I was looking for files it suddenly stopped being able to find files. I have attached a few screenshots to show how it does not find anything; for example "OV" or with ".pdf". I have tried every of the following suggestions from the following website: Fix File Explorer...
  9. Search functionality within File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search functionality within File Explorer: I read a post from 2017 stating that the functionality to default search preference to "current folder" within the File Explorer is not possible. Has this since changed as it has now been 2 years and it is actually very frustrating to navigate through endless files or have...
  10. Windows Explorer search functionality not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer search functionality not working: Cannot get result when we do a simple file search. Some times it keeps loading and sometimes get blank result https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-explorer-search-functionality-not-working/d81249cd-84b1-40db-98c1-561d30d0537c