Windows 10: windows explorer search shows only one character

Discus and support windows explorer search shows only one character in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; i cant click on the explorer search bar, to access it i click on the folder address to then click TAB and i can type in... but it shows only one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JK-Tech, Jul 26, 2021.

1. JK-Tech Win User

windows explorer search shows only one character

i cant click on the explorer search bar, to access it i click on the folder address to then click TAB and i can type in... but it shows only one character, and when i click backspace it shows a blank rectangle character ... and about the taskbar search bar i cant even click in it nor open it with TAB, the area gets selected but i cant type in, what can i do? i already have tried thiswindows explorer search shows only one character :Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealthDism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealthand this:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"}

:)

JK-Tech, Jul 26, 2021

2. windows explorer search won't show any results

Windows explorer search won't show any results. I've tried the 10 step method listed in the web search. no luck.

Jim Ampulski, Jul 26, 2021
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Jul 26, 2021
  4. windows explorer search shows only one character

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

windows explorer search shows only one character

1. windows explorer search shows only one character - Similar Threads - explorer search shows

2. Font is installed but it only shows up in Character Map

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font is installed but it only shows up in Character Map: Windows version: 24H2I installed a font via Windows font viewer, but it only appears in Character map, the font is there, but it can only be used in browsers....
  3. Font is installed but it only shows up in Character Map

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font is installed but it only shows up in Character Map: Windows version: 24H2I installed a font via Windows font viewer, but it only appears in Character map, the font is there, but it can only be used in browsers....
  4. File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11: Hi Team, When I want to search my file in File Explorer I notice some of the characters are deleted. It only happens in the search File Explorer only....
  5. File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer search characters deleted while typing in windows 11: Hi Team, When I want to search my file in File Explorer I notice some of the characters are deleted. It only happens in the search File Explorer only....
  6. Windows Search only shows grey overlay

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search only shows grey overlay: Hi!Whenever I've used my PC for a longer period of time, it tends to fall back to the same problem, of the search results being covered by a grey overlay as shown in the pictures that goes away after I clicked on it.This isn't really a problem since it disappears after...
  7. Windows Search only shows grey overlay

in Cortana
    Windows Search only shows grey overlay: Hi!Whenever I've used my PC for a longer period of time, it tends to fall back to the same problem, of the search results being covered by a grey overlay as shown in the pictures that goes away after I clicked on it.This isn't really a problem since it disappears after...
  8. windows 10 - windows search is not working - allows only one character

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows 10 - windows search is not working - allows only one character: In Windows 10 PRO, I'm not able use windows search option. I have indexed all my PC drives. I have mapped many external servers, there also not able to do the windows search option. I'm able to enter only one character in the cell....
  9. Keyboard enters random characters in File Explorer only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard enters random characters in File Explorer only: [ATTACH] Before I go buy a new keyboard, wanted to check if anyone has any ideas. That random text should be \"hello\" This issue happens in File Explorer when trying to upload files in the browser. Only Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox are affected. For some...
  10. Searching for special characters

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching for special characters: Hi all! I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 10. I had a Dell with Windows XP SP3 for ages, and when I made the mistake of updating one of my drivers... Well, it was getting to be time to update... I've a few more grey hairs now. Anyway, in my old machine, when I...