Windows 10: Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

Discus and support Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I do a Windows File Explorer search of my D: drive where I keep all of my documents, photos, etc., the results that appear are not from the D:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by whbecker, Oct 20, 2018.

1. whbecker Win User

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

When I do a Windows File Explorer search of my D: drive where I keep all of my documents, photos, etc., the results that appear are not from the D: drive but rather the backup copies that I have in my F: drive. How can this happen? I am running 1803 will all current updates, - Build 17135.345.

I really need to have the search function search the correct drive and folder!

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive! af1c17e6-4691-44a6-a2d0-062162bb8a43?upload=true.jpg

:)

whbecker, Oct 20, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 20, 2018
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive! :p

Frick, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

1. Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive! - Similar Threads - Explorer Searching Wrong

2. Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong usb pen drive icon in file explorer: hi, I see the wrong pen drive icon, like that of an exe file. the problem only appears in the file explorer, because in the disk management I see the right icon....
  3. Windows Explorer Search in Google Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Search in Google Drive: Hello All, I've noticed when I do a keyword search in Windows Explorer that it fails to find files that match my search. I'm using Windows Explorer to search Google Drive. Any suggestions ?...
  4. Windows Explorer Search in Google Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Search in Google Drive: Hello All, I've noticed when I do a keyword search in Windows Explorer that it fails to find files that match my search. I'm using Windows Explorer to search Google Drive. Any suggestions ?...
  5. something wrong with search in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    something wrong with search in File Explorer: I usually using search in file explorer, file name and content inside files. Since this early morn, the result show only folder can't search in file name or file content anymore. Try using troubleshooter, it's detect "windows search is not working" then fixed it, but the...
  6. Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!

Windows Explorer Searching the Wrong Drive!: I see this question was asked in 2018 but I see no fix. I have exactly the same issue. My SSD system was copied from a HDD. I replaced the HDD and copied the SSD to the new HDD which I now use as a backup.SSD and HDD have system partition and data partition. Searching in SSD...
  7. Wrong Search Results

in Cortana
    Wrong Search Results: Hello Somedays ago I opened a pdf file from the internet in ms edge.today i saw that in windows search the pdf was showing up.there were option like manage disconnect network drive open[when i click the it,it open the windows file explorer ,this pc srcreen] open file...
  8. Searching for touchpad driver in the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Searching for touchpad driver in the wrong drive: I have a Lenovo Yoga 900. It's several years old now and was getting a bit slow. Eventually the touchpad stopped working. I recently factory reset the computer and the touchpad still doesn't work. When I click on additional mouse options in settings, it comes up with a...
  9. File explorer search is looking in the wrong place

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer search is looking in the wrong place: When I download a file to my Windows 10 (Version 1903) PC it saves it in C:/Users/username/downloads which is as it should. But when I try to search for something in a file explorer window it isn't linking to files in the C drive downloads folder, instead it is linking to...
  10. Windows Explorer refuses search of external drive

Windows Explorer refuses search of external drive: Tearing my hair put with Windows 10. I use an external hard drive. I have a new machine (Lenovo Think Pad carbon) with a fresh Windows 10 install. The external drive (4TB ssd) works on other machines. The drive is being successfully indexed, explorer just refuses to search...