Windows 10: Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive

Discus and support Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all - I have an internal HDD with ~7gb of used space, but Windows Explorer (and 'Settings > Local Storage') both report the drive as being totally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Celerity, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Celerity Win User

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive

Hi all - I have an internal HDD with ~7gb of used space, but Windows Explorer (and 'Settings > Local Storage') both report the drive as being totally free (see screenshot below)

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive PFC6X1S.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Similarly, in Properties:

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive qKs0lmn.png

It's odd that Windows is apparently aware that there is ~7gb of data on the drive (as you can see that the Used Space is being reported correctly), yet it incorrectly shows the drive as completely free

I looked around online and didn't find anyone with this specific problem, though I did have trouble refining a precise enough search for this issue (most of the results being returned were for the "opposite" problem, wherein Windows would over-represent the used space rather than the free space for various reasons)

Notes:
    - I am able to access the data on the drive just fine; it's mostly videos & there are a few other small things.
    - (CWindows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive :) is an SSD
    - I tried plugging in an external HDD to see if it would be represented correctly, and it was; as you can see Windows is also showing correct figures for the USB drive
    - Shutting down / restarting makes no difference
    - Windows 10 Home, Asus.

Any help is much appreciated - I would really like to get it to show the correct amount of free space!

:)

Celerity, Oct 13, 2018
  2. abrogard Win User

Internal SATA drive show on Device Manager But not on Explorer listing

I used up all the allowed space in the title there - couldn't put a question mark on the end.

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive :)

Wonder why I can't see the WD hard drive I just hooked up to a SATA port on my H170 board?

There are currently two seagate drive SATA connected and the DVD drive. And an external Seagate on USB.

I put the WD in and I can see it in device manager but nowhere else.

I have a couple of screenshots:

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive [​IMG]

Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive [​IMG]

Can anyone help?

abrogard, Oct 13, 2018
  3. Windows 10 - Incorrect disk space bar in Explorer, network storage incorrect and copies C:

Hi,

Files explorer showing the incorrect level of free space on different drives could be due to a recent update or system files that got corrupted. To resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below:

• When did the issue start to occur?
    • Were there any changes made or updates installed prior to the issue occurring?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted?
    • Which version and build of Windows 10 is installed on your device?

As an initial recommendation, you can run the troubleshooter on this
    link
    to Automatically diagnose and repair Windows file and folder problems.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive - Similar Threads - Explorer showing incorrect

2. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  3. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer showing false free space in drive: I have 299gb of disk space available on D drive and the files present on it have size of 187gb including system files but the free space shows just 39.4gb.While opening the properties of drive D, it shows 260 gb used but when I look inside the drive, there is no way it could...
  4. File explorer showing false free space in drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!: Dell Inspiron 3501OS: Windows 11 22H2OS Build: 22621.2283Total Storage: 256GBIssue: Selecting all folders and seeing their properties shows me that they are of 26.8 GB out of 100GB that means 73.2 GB is free but when checking the 'drive' properties it shows 15.2 GB is free...
  6. INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INCORRECT FREE STORAGE SPACE SHOWING!!!: Dell Inspiron 3501OS: Windows 11 22H2OS Build: 22621.2283Total Storage: 256GBIssue: Selecting all folders and seeing their properties shows me that they are of 26.8 GB out of 100GB that means 73.2 GB is free but when checking the 'drive' properties it shows 15.2 GB is free...
  7. Secondary hard drive showing incorrect available space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Secondary hard drive showing incorrect available space: I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363.1256 on a laptop with two separate drives. One is the 256GB boot drive the other is the 1TB storage drive. Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage, Disk Management, Drive Properties in File Explorer, This PC, Defraggler,...
  8. External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Drive Size / Free Space Not reported in Explorer: My desktop PC has v1909 Build 18363.900. I just noticed using Explorer in tile view that the disk size & free space of Drive G: which is Seagate Expansion drive is not reported. The details are there if I right click on the drive. I have another Expansion Drive which is...
  9. Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer showing incorrect free space for internal drive: Hi all - I have an internal HDD with ~7gb of used space, but Windows Explorer (and 'Settings > Local Storage') both report the drive as being totally free (see screenshot below) [ATTACH] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Similarly, in...
  10. Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer suddenly not showing free space for one partition.: This has suddenly happened, explorer is missing the 'space' information from the display. The build up to this was simply creating a Windows disk image using W10's own utility. Mysteriously the space bar on the problem partition showed some usage, about 1.7Gb but nothing...