Windows 10: Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders

Discus and support Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Desktop: Windows 10 Prof version 2004 (OS build 19041.572) Laptop: Windows 10 Prof version 1903 (OS build 18362.1139 (LG Gram 2018 i7 with a 1 T flash... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mlg, Nov 1, 2020.

1. MLG
    mlg Win User

Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders

Desktop: Windows 10 Prof version 2004 (OS build 19041.572)
    Laptop: Windows 10 Prof version 1903 (OS build 18362.1139 (LG Gram 2018 i7 with a 1 T flash drive and 16 GB ram both of
    which I installed).

I have three users on my desktop: they all have my name and they are all Administrator; they also have the same photo I created originally on my desktop. All have the same outlook.com email I had to create at some point. I never use it but it is active if I wanted to.

I have one user on my laptop with the same picture and email address as on the desktop. This user is also Administrator.
    Since I only have two Windows devices I don't know why three of the same administrators are shown on my desktop. The only thing I can imagine is that it's the result of a major Windows disaster on my laptop when it was quite new. The laptop completely froze in the middle of a windows update and no longer knew I was the owner, no longer knew I'd upgraded from Home to Professional and many other problems. In a fury I brought it to the Microsoft store essentially saying your update broke this brand new computer -- you fix it! They did fix it but they did it their way and no effort was made to clean up everything they left behind.

One day I wasn't paying attention and somehow allowed my desktop windows to sync with my laptop. As a result both share the same Admin along with a third on the desktop whom I've never met Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders :)

I did find the setting to turn off sync and it is now turned off on both computers. But I still have three of the same person and email Admins listed on my desktop. One of them is probably the laptop but why a third?

In Windows Explorer on the desktop AND on the laptop I have two complete sets of Desktop, documents, downloads, favorites etc, AFTER these two complete sets I have This PC, desktop, downloads etc. and that accurately reflects what is on the disk of the computer. Sometimes I can't find a file because it's in one of the other subsets of folders.
    I don't understand any reason to sync Windows on the two computers. Is this correct? I do sync most of Chrome and Google Keep - but I think these are the only things it seems to me that I'll benefit from syncing.

Is there any way to figure out which of the three Admins on my desktop doesn't belong there and remove it without causing chaos on the laptop? Next why do I have two extra copies of all the folders (desktop, documents etc) on both computers? Might there be some way to fix this?

I like to run a reasonably clean, logical and organized computer. This is beginning to drive me crazy and I'm also concerned that it may provide some open back door.

Would greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

:)

2. idigweeds Win User

add a top level folder to My PC in Windows 10

Not exactly what I was looking for. When you open File Explorer, the program shows two areas... one is the smaller Navigation pane on the left side of the window. On the right is a larger area divided into two categories, what I choose to call 'top level'
    folders for the lack of a better name, and then a group of drive icons. What I want to do is add additional top level folders to this view. I created several additional folders at the same location on the hard drive as the existing top level folders, but
    these do not appear in the top level folders area as displayed in My PC in File Explorer. Is there any way I can get the folders I created to appear here?

idigweeds, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

How to make vista display same icon size for all opened folders in explorer ?

Some suggestions

Kreij, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer shows three users and three sets of top level folders - Similar Threads - Explorer shows three

2. three random user profiles showed up on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    three random user profiles showed up on my desktop: Title. All of them were named DESKTOP/string of numbers and had nothing in them besides the base stuff like when you first make a profile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/three-random-user-profiles-showed-up-on-my-desktop/1ec0d92d-f651-4692-aebd-c0dced4bf2a3
  3. three random user profiles showed up on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    three random user profiles showed up on my desktop: Title. All of them were named DESKTOP/string of numbers and had nothing in them besides the base stuff like when you first make a profile https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/three-random-user-profiles-showed-up-on-my-desktop/1ec0d92d-f651-4692-aebd-c0dced4bf2a3
  4. Setting up three displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting up three displays: Hi I have a bit of a frankenstien setup. I have one actual monitor, a tv, and them my display drawing tablet. I have all three screens displaying and working but the tv is not showing in my list of monitors as a third display and it doesn't extend the display only duplicates...
  5. Setting up three displays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting up three displays: Hi I have a bit of a frankenstien setup. I have one actual monitor, a tv, and them my display drawing tablet. I have all three screens displaying and working but the tv is not showing in my list of monitors as a third display and it doesn't extend the display only duplicates...
  6. Three Columns in Windows File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Three Columns in Windows File Explorer: I can not figure out how I have a new Column in File Explorer. I just started getting it yesterday. Was this part of a Update or did I somehow accidently make the third Column appear? Is there a way to remove and replace the third Column at will? [IMG]...
  7. Three questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Three questions: 1. I use Firefox but have installed Chrome too. In the advance setting, there are two provisions a Restore security to the original defaults. b Clean up the computer. My question is why Google controls Windows? 2. I have a Yahoo mail account. It is operated by me and...
  8. Windows 10 three 3 Program folders!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 three 3 Program folders!?: Hey there! I'm a film and video producer and I'm supposed to be using my computer mostly for editing, but it seems that I'm spending more time trying to make it work than anything else. So what is my problem? First off: non of the Windows topics matched my problem, as...
  9. Three errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Three errors: I keep getting this three errors repeatedly. First one is memory management Second one is bad config info The third one is kmode exception not handled (ntfs.sys) Please help i need to fix my laptop soon...
  10. Make a folder a top level library in explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a folder a top level library in explorer: I was able to do this in Win 7 however not having it anymore I can't figure out how I did it. In explorer the library icons on the left pane have the actual folder as a submenu item, that is if you expand a library you have to expand the actual folder to see the subfolders. I...