Windows 10: Windows explorer slow file search

Discus and support Windows explorer slow file search in Cortana to solve the problem; The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by VinnyMS, Sep 10, 2020.

1. VinnyMS Win User

Windows explorer slow file search

The search file option on windows explorer is very slow and basic. Basically it has to be rebuilt and made more powerful, like some third party file search software full of options.

:)

VinnyMS, Sep 10, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Sep 10, 2020
  3. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Sep 10, 2020
  4. razghost Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows explorer slow file search - Similar Threads - explorer slow file

2. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  3. file explorer search running slow/ not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer search running slow/ not working: When I try to search a drive, folder or anything using the "quick search access" it doesn't seem to be working. It gets stuck just before the end, and no search result is given. I have tried the fix tool to no avail. It seems with older versions it was a matter of a few...
  4. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  5. File explorer search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer search: Whenever i search for files and I type ‘ash’ it only returns results for file names starting with ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ etc. Is there a setting I can change so that when i search for ‘ash’ it returns any file name containing ‘ash’ like ‘Ashes.docx’ ‘Crashing.docx’ ‘Call me...
  6. File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Search: Running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041 The search in File Explorer does not work well. It defaults to "All subfolders" and will not let me select "Current Folder". I notice others have the same issue, but I have not seen a solution. Anyone know...
  7. Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything"

in Windows 10 Support
    Alternative to Windows slow explorer search - "Everything": I've been using this for years: voidtools It is virtually instantaneous and searches all your drives at once. 161697
  8. Windows File Explorer Search

Windows File Explorer Search: I used to always search for a file with a name or subject and could get a large list of items. Now, the search will only search the recent month even when I have no dates chosen. I even tried to choose dates and modified for last 5 years and will only bring up items from the...
  9. Windows Explorer and searching files

Windows Explorer and searching files: Normally when I open an explorer window and lets say click DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS, the display quickly and automaticatcally displays whatever I click on. Occationally when I click on DESKTOP or DOWNLOADS or any other folder for that matter, I see the Quick Access green bar...
  10. Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Why "green line" slow with File Explorer searching?: Can't remember what I did when tweaking indexing. But now I note that when I search on iExplorer, I've got to wait a rather long time for the green line to complete its course before the search is completed. Now, I generally do use and have been using Everything for my...