Windows 10: Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

Discus and support Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by aliskander, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder.
    Not a big deal but annoying.
    Can anyone help me please?

:)

aliskander, Jan 24, 2018
  2. FaZERCARA Win User

warning message when startup

When start the system a warning message says windows is not linked to policy system files. As a likely consequence, the system is slow. For example when I try to open a browser or a folder in the exploration, it takes ages and sometimes don't open. Please
    anyone can help me?

FaZERCARA, Jan 24, 2018
  3. JDGoodwin Win User
    Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

What I did to solve this problem is that I open file explorer as soon I start my computer and keep the folder on "Local Disk" until I need to use file explorer. I found this out because every time I would restart my computer to see if it was still slow,
    it wasn't, but when I turn it on the next day, after a while of doing other stuff, I try to open file explorer and it's slow again, restarted it and file explorer worked just fine. Sure, it's not a permanent solution, but it works for me. Once you make a habit,
    it's easy to do.

Hope this helps

JDGoodwin, Jan 24, 2018
  4. hiphopper Win User

Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

So many questions. Is this an internal t external drive. Have you started sharing the folders? Did you turn on the option to show folder sized in tooltips?

hiphopper, Jan 24, 2018
  5. Thank you for your answer.
    1. it happens with internal drives (no USB or NAS drives)
    2. I do share a folder but I always did even before the problem occurred
    3. I didn't turn on the option to show folder size

aliskander, Jan 25, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    When did this start happening? Did you install any 3rd party software since then? Have you tried a System Restore to a time before this started happening?
    Try doing a Clean Boot. If that works, add one startup item or service and reboot until the behavior returns, then you will know with the problematic program is.

spunk, Jan 25, 2018
  7. Thank you.
    I am certain I installed 3rd party software but I can't remember when the problem started so a System Restore may be difficult.
    But a Clean Boot is certainly an option.
    Thank you very much: I'll give it a try and post the result (not today but probable next week)

aliskander, Jan 25, 2018
  8. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

As it happend it was my anti-virus program Malwarebyte that proved the culprit.
    Now I am running only Windows Defender.
    My PC is faster than ever.
    Has anyone else know of this behaviour?

aliskander, Jan 27, 2018
  9. Kimiluch Win User
    @aliskander. Hi, some time ago, I noticed that my laptop became sluggish as I began experiencing the same behavior you mentionned. Mouse pointer truns busy when browsing disks and folders in Windows Explorer, web browsing slow, app lauch slow, etc. I tried everything: registry cleanup, system cleanup, acronis backup restore dating 2 months ago... nothing helped! I couldn't suspect that MBAM 3 could be the problem. I have been using MBAM for 3 years now w/o real issue. I uninstalled it and waou: my laptop is now lightning fast. I went to MBAM forum and found out that this is an issue for others users and that MBAM team is aware of that. I now have to wait for a fix since MBAM seems to be the best securtiy tool IMO. Check this link:
    High RAM usage kills my computer - Malwarebytes 3 - Malwarebytes Forums

Kimiluch, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

1. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders - Similar Threads - Explorer slow opening

2. Win10 File Explorer is very slow to open some folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 File Explorer is very slow to open some folders: File explorer will often list one file every 2-3 sec when opening a folder. This happens even if I just closed it but this is not happening every time I open a folder. This is happening on all three of my computers but this, my video work is the worst.My system:Windows 10...
  3. Slow folders in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow folders in File Explorer: I am running a desktop with Win 11i9 Processor64 Gb Memory1TB SSD Primary Drive2 TB SSD Secondary DriveI have audio files WAV, MP3 etc stored on the secondary drive in 2 unique folders. When I access these folders it is taking as much as 8 seconds to deliver a listing of...
  4. Slow folders in File Explorer

Slow folders in File Explorer: I am running a desktop with Win 11i9 Processor64 Gb Memory1TB SSD Primary Drive2 TB SSD Secondary DriveI have audio files WAV, MP3 etc stored on the secondary drive in 2 unique folders. When I access these folders it is taking as much as 8 seconds to deliver a listing of...
  5. File explorer slow opening folder containing shortcuts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer slow opening folder containing shortcuts: I have a folder lets call it folder AP that contains approximately 30 shortcuts to other folders located in a separate folder call it folder CJ; all of these folders are located on the same drive. The folder AP has a few files in it but it primarily contains shortcuts to...
  6. File explorer slow opening folder containing shortcuts

File explorer slow opening folder containing shortcuts: I have a folder lets call it folder AP that contains approximately 30 shortcuts to other folders located in a separate folder call it folder CJ; all of these folders are located on the same drive. The folder AP has a few files in it but it primarily contains shortcuts to...
  7. File explorer slow opening folder containing shortcuts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. File Explorer opening folders slow/right click delay?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer opening folders slow/right click delay?: Happened to me on almost every Windows installation I've used, despite average specs it almost feels like a curse. File Explorer keeps taking ~2 seconds not responding when I try to open any folder (regardless of contents), and sometimes a minute not responding when I right...
  9. File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer slow in opening folder with shortcuts: Recently a change occured (after an update?). I have a folder containing only 6 shortcuts, linking to devices or to drives, connected to devices, in my home network. Opening this folder takes about 30 sec. It has to do with those shortcuts that link to drives, connected to...
  10. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...