Windows 10: Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix

Discus and support Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone. I was having an issue where Windows Explorer kept freezing if I chose "open with" in the context menu. I disabled the Windows Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by r1ck14, Feb 15, 2021.

1. r1ck14 Win User

Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix

Hello everyone. I was having an issue where Windows Explorer kept freezing if I chose "open with" in the context menu. I disabled the Windows Search Service and while at first it seemed to help, it didn't really resolve the issue. I then started experiencing thumbnails not loading, entire folder contents not loading, the explorer being slow the green bar at the top never completing and I tried pretty much everything short of a full Windows reset.

I ran system checks, used registry cleaners, deleted the thumbnail cache, etc.

After browsing around online for quite a while, I saw that others had similar problems and while some of the above fixes worked, not everyone's issue resolved like mine.

Then it dawned on me that explorer worked fine until I opened the "downloads" folder which I use a lot. I tried deleting everything in there and it would freeze on trying to calculate what was to be deleted. I narrowed it down to a single file and that individual file refused to be deleted. I eventually got Windows into safe mode with command prompt and was able to delete the file. I rebooted normally and the offending file was gone from the downloads folder and also didn't appear anywhere in the recycling bin. Seems there must have been something corrupt with the file.

Removing the file seems to have completely resolved the issued I had. Every folder now opens buttery smooth and the thumbnails appear almost instantly.

I wanted to post this here as I never found this as a proposed solution and the other threads were locked. Hopefully this will help someone.

TL;DR

If windows explorer is slow and often freezes, a corrupt file may be to blame. Try to isolate which folder has the offending file and once you locate it it will refuse to be normally deleted boot into safe mode and delete it with the command prompt.

:)

r1ck14, Feb 15, 2021

2. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Feb 15, 2021
  3. Frick Win User
    Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix :p

Frick, Feb 15, 2021
  4. Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix

Internet Explorer is slow, crashing, freezing

Hi Albert,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue and check.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Click on search and type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

Method 2: Follow the steps suggested in this link and check if it helps.

What to do when Internet Explorer isn't working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Reset Internet Explorer disclaimer: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature
    might also reset parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Method 3: I would suggest you to run
    System Maintenance Troubleshooter
    and check if it helps:

• Press Windows + X key. 
    • Select Control panel.
    • In the search box, type Troubleshooter and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Under System and Security,
    • Click on System Maintenance and Click on Next button.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Feb 15, 2021
Thema:

Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix

1. Windows Explorer Slows and Freezes fix - Similar Threads - Explorer Slows Freezes

2. Windows 11 file explorer is very slow, hangs, freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer is very slow, hangs, freezes: Windows 11 file explorer is extremely slow to open files, lags and says "Working on it"I often have to resort to Task Manager to End Task as the file explorer window won't even close.It is time consuming and extremely frustrating that such a basic function of windows doesn't...
  3. Windows 11 file explorer is very slow, hangs, freezes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer is very slow, hangs, freezes: Windows 11 file explorer is extremely slow to open files, lags and says "Working on it"I often have to resort to Task Manager to End Task as the file explorer window won't even close.It is time consuming and extremely frustrating that such a basic function of windows doesn't...
  4. W10 is extremely slow/freezing, same for File Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    W10 is extremely slow/freezing, same for File Explorer: Good afternoon fellow friends!I just got home from holiday yesterday, and my PC which is on 24/7 had rebooted. I booted it up again, noticing it was rather slow, during the boot. When i got into the desktop, and tried to use it as usual it became the slowest operating desktop...
  5. Fix for file explorer loading slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for file explorer loading slow: I found a new way, Just simply press Windows key+R and type in exactly this without the dot: %appdata%. Boom, it's open, then just go to any folder you want to :...
  6. Windows Explorer slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer slow: Hello, so, my windows explorer search bar is really slow. I have a folder with 300 videos, and only want to search for a specific title, but the search doesn't conclude, the green bar moves and stops at 99%, then nothing happens. When I tried opening the indexing thing under...
  7. Windows Explorer slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer slow: I'm experiencing problems with explorer on version 1809 build 18312.1001. The explorer is generally slow, if I try to open certain folders it will take a few minutes. If I try to move files it'll take a several minutes. Searches in folders are even slower. This problem have...
  8. Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows: How to: Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows How to Fix Slow or Freezing Right Click Context Menu in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10 A context menu is a graphical user interface (GUI) that appears when you right click or press and hold on an item...
  9. User Account Control dialogue slow to load, explorer window freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    User Account Control dialogue slow to load, explorer window freezes: I have noticed recently, often when I am trying to open an exe files from my desktop or a folder from my desktop (or from a DVD drive), the folder sort of freezes and I can't really move it or do anything with it as the User Account box also lags to open. After it opens, the...
  10. Windows Explorer Freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Freezes: Hi Everyone, I am experiencing random freezing of a Windows Explorer (file manager) window. What this means, is that I cannot click on a file, I cannot minimize, close the window etc. However, I can open another instance (or more) of Windows explorer, that I can open...