Windows 10: Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing

Discus and support Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1903 build 18362.657. on a Dell Laptop and also a custom built desktop computer. Both are sometimes stucks when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MustafaYatağan, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing

Hi I'm using Windows 10 Pro 1903 build 18362.657.

on a Dell Laptop and also a custom built desktop computer.

Both are sometimes stucks when thumbnailing. Explorer stops responding. And context menu doesn't work. Also When stucked. I can't reach the files being thumbnailed. I think thumbnailing; because explorer says: "Working on it" and never stops working unless i restart computer. After restart evertyhing works fine. Until this error happens again.

That is an issue randomly occurs. This happnes for any kind of media file image or video. There is no custom thumbaniler installed. like psd viewer etc. Just native widows thumbnailer is working.

When this issue happens, I can't reach this files in ay way. Either from Command Prompt or powershell I can see them there but can't interact with them in any way. Any kind of copying, moving or deleting operation doesn't work and shows no errors. When trying to delete with command pormpt. I don't get any error message but file still stays there. When trying to copy or move this files Command prompt seems working but nothing it does in the background. Windows event logger has no entry about the error. First I've thought it's a disk issue. But I purchased an nVMe PCI-e disk but this still happens. And it's a little bit annoying. Because If it happens when i'm working, to have to restart computer is really becomes annoying.

Is there anyone experienced this error?

Is this a bug or somtehing?

It's not realted to Windows Version. I've been expreiencing this issue since 1703.

And also I'm using Bitdefender Total Protection.

:)

MustafaYatağan, Feb 27, 2020
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Feb 27, 2020
  4. Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing

Thumbnail support for Adobe Applications within Windows Explorer

There is an option in File Explorer that allows icons to change in thumbnail view in Windows 10. To enable thumbnail view, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + E to open File Explorer.
    • Click the View tab of File Explorer.
    • Click Options.
    • In the Folder Options, click the View tab.
    • Make sure that the Display file icon on thumbnails checkbox were enabled.
    Let us know if you can now view Adobe program icons.

Johann Eva, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing

1. Windows Explorer Sometimes Stops Responding while Thumbnailing - Similar Threads - Explorer Sometimes Stops

2. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  3. Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop/Windows explorer stops responding: Im experiencing an issue where after using file explorer or relocating photos/files around on my laptop, window's explorers randomly stops responding and I am forced to restart. I am running on windows 11 right now. Any help with this?...
  4. Windows stops responding sometimes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stops responding sometimes.: Hello.I have had issues for a while on both Windows 10 and 11 where suddenly the system goes gradually more unresponsive until it freezes completely. When it starts I will notice for example a website not loading or a Youtube video stops to make some examples. If I then try...
  5. Windows stops responding sometimes.

Windows stops responding sometimes.: Hello.I have had issues for a while on both Windows 10 and 11 where suddenly the system goes gradually more unresponsive until it freezes completely. When it starts I will notice for example a website not loading or a Youtube video stops to make some examples. If I then try...
  6. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  7. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  8. windows explorer stops working sometimes?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows explorer stops working sometimes?: quick windows explorer restart in task manager fixes it, but this is a frequent problem and is quite annoying, this is kinda new pc and had this since the start, my old pc never had such problems submitted by /u/Mat1kz [link] [comments]...
  9. why windows explorer stop responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    why windows explorer stop responding: explorer displays not responding and hangs. this happens when I highlight a few files or as I scroll to look for files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-windows-explorer-stop-responding/559c8e39-d164-4abd-83ae-9028bd294661"
  10. Windows Explorer stopped responding and hang

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer stopped responding and hang: Source Windows Explorer Summary Stopped responding and was closed Date ‎07-‎Dec-‎18 11:22 AM Status Not reported Description A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows. Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event...