Windows 10: Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears

Discus and support Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm using Win10 Anniversary Update. After getting the Anniversary Update, I noticed that the drop-down list in Windows Explorer no longer appears... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mwidunn, Nov 19, 2016.

1. mwidunn Win User

Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears

I'm using Win10 Anniversary Update.

After getting the Anniversary Update, I noticed that the drop-down list in Windows Explorer no longer appears when one clicks on it under "Details View." Please, see the image below:

Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears [​IMG]

For example, let us say that I wanted to organize the files only by .PDF. There is now no way to see only those files, since no matter how much one clicks, the list will not appear.

This occurs for ALL of the sort lists: File Name, Date, etc.

Can anyone advise or help?

Thanks!

:)

mwidunn, Nov 19, 2016

2. File Explorer - Auto Sort

In previous versions of Windows when I renamed a file, File Explorer resorted the file list so that the file you renamed appeared in the proper location based on your sort settings. In my case sorted by name.

This in no longer happening in Windows 10. When you rename the file it just stays in the previous location until you manually tell File Explorer to resort.

Can I get this functionality back?

MichaelMantkowski, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Catbill Win User
    Can't we sort Quick Access items?

In File Explorer, I want the items appearing under Quick Access to be sorted alphabetically. However, "sort" is grayed out.

Further down the list in the sidebar, items under "This PC" can be sorted. Why in the world is this not possible for Quick Access?

Catbill, Nov 19, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 19, 2016
  5. tcebob Win User
    Works on my rig but try this:
    If you right click on one of the headers a drop-down menu will appear showing possible headers. Pick More. . . and scroll down to find File Extension. Highlight it and the file extension column will be created at the far right. You can drag this to any position you wish (I put it right after Name). Being old-school, I don't use Type, so it's off to the side. You can save the new setup by clicking View/options/Change folder and search options/View and select Apply to Folders. Now you can sort by extension.

tcebob, Nov 20, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    It was renamed to File Explorer back in Win8/8.1. There are drop-down menus on mine in the Details view but are rather limited in scope. The menu choices are a lot predicated by the contents of a Folder. The clicking of the column heading remained the same as in Win7 on my computers.

Berton, Nov 20, 2016
  7. mwidunn Win User
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, but I've never really been able to know what to call the various "parts" of the box/window/folder/etc. in Windows (and, there's nothing built in to tell the user what something is, either). Anyways, . . .

What I'm referring to are the FILTERS for each Heading/Column in Details View. Before the Win10 Anniversary update, if I clicked on the little upside-down arrow to the right of the Heading/Column, a drop-down list box would appear in which there would be choices that I could select in order to further organize the Folder's contents. For example, if I only wanted to see all of the PDF files, then I could have checked the empty box for "PDF."

After the Anniversary update, this no longer happens. I click on the arrow, and . . . nothing. The Pointer does its little "circle thing" for a split-second and, then, nothing happens.

Any help?

mwidunn, Nov 20, 2016
  8. mwidunn Win User

Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, but I've never really been able to know what to call the various "parts" of the box/window/folder/etc. in Windows (and, there's nothing built in to tell the user what something is, either). Anyways, . . .

What I'm referring to are the FILTERS for each Heading/Column in Details View. Before the Win10 Anniversary update, if I clicked on the little upside-down arrow to the right of the Heading/Column, a drop-down list box would appear in which there would be choices that I could select in order to further organize the Folder's contents. For example, if I only wanted to see all of the PDF files, then I could have checked the empty box for "PDF."

After the Anniversary update, this no longer happens. I click on the arrow, and . . . nothing. The Pointer does its little "circle thing" for a split-second and, then, nothing happens.

Any help?

mwidunn, Nov 20, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    Guess I'm not seeing the same issue, my AU 14393.447 seems to work like my Win7 w/SP1.

Berton, Nov 20, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Repeat- do you have the same problem in Safe Mode?

dalchina, Nov 20, 2016
  11. mwidunn Win User
    Yes, I have the same problem in Safe Mode.

mwidunn, Nov 23, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Ok, that suggests some sort of Windows corruption. Whether it's fixable is another question. Without some precedent - which I've not seen- it's a matter of trying the basics first.

Start with from an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

then from an admin command prompt
    SFC /SCANNOW
    & post summary result.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2016
  13. mwidunn Win User

Checking file system on C:The type of the file system is NTFS.Volume label is Windows.A disk check has been scheduled.Windows will now check the disk. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 413696 file records processed. File verification completed. 8558 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 488938 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...Cleaning up 6668 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.Cleaning up 6668 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.Cleaning up 6668 unused security descriptors.Security descriptor verification completed. 37622 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34014432 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.No further action is required. 486872071 KB total disk space. 268317968 KB in 159051 files. 120720 KB in 37623 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 533827 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 217899556 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 121718017 total allocation units on disk. 54474889 allocation units available on disk.Internal Info:00 50 06 00 db ff 02 00 3c d7 05 00 00 00 00 00 .P......<.......dd 33 00 00 9a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .3..............Windows has finished checking your disk.Please wait while your computer restarts.

PROBLEM PERSISTS. SEE PICTURE:

mwidunn, Nov 25, 2016
  14. mwidunn Win User
    SCANNOW came back clean, too.

mwidunn, Nov 25, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that only seems to leave some sort of conflict with something installed, although we've eliminated most possibilities, including programs that hook onto explorer and add features. You've already tried safe mode, though, which should eliminate that possibility.

Normally I'd say try an in-place upgrade repair install. Not sure that will help if you've just done the anniversary upgrade which amounts to much the same thing in principle.

You could try restoring the previous build if you've upgraded in the last 10 days, but about all that might offer is confirmation as to whether explorer then worked normally again, and a chance to redo the upgrade.

So I'm unsure what next to suggest.. sorry.

dalchina, Nov 25, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer Sort List No Longer Appears - Similar Threads - Explorer Sort List

2. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  3. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  4. Network List No Longer Appears

Network List No Longer Appears: When I click on the WiFi menu, it does not show any networks. There is only a link to Network & Internet Settings. The WiFi button the one that turns it on and off is not even there. The airplane mode button is there, however. I have an HP 15-dy1074nr. This started occurring...
  5. No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want

No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want: I like using the List view in File Explorer. Also, in one directory, I like to sort by date, but have the sub-folders still in my view first. When I was updated to Ver 1909, that option seems to be missing. If I want the sub-folders first, I need to sort by name. If I want...
  6. Force Explorer to list "Type" in Sort By

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Force Explorer to list "Type" in Sort By: Anyone know a way to get the Type option to always appear in the Sort By list? I don't need it as a default, but it's annoying that whenever I want to sort by type I have to go to "More..." and add it to the list. submitted by /u/Avigorus [link] [comments]...
  7. File Explorer Sorting

File Explorer Sorting: I have one folder in File Explorer that sorts by 0 -9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z. All other folders sort by folders are on the top, files on the bottom, sorted by alpha. How do I change so it's sorted by folders, files in alpha? Thanks....
  8. Sorting with File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting with File Explorer.: Just been doing a job for a client and got frustrated. Been downloading many files and folders and wanted to sort by date order. FE sorts files by date and folders by date but sorts them separately so I had to keep scrolling up and down. I want it like below:- Name Date...
  9. Jump Lists No Longer Appear

in Windows 10 Support
    Jump Lists No Longer Appear: After the uninstallation of some software yesterday, I no longer have jump lists in my taskbar icons. I right click on them, and there's no response whatsoever. Right click functionality on the taskbar itself and in all other places appears to be normal. I'm hoping there will...
  10. Sorting the all apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting the all apps list?: OK. I know how to "go to file location" and some of the other basic tips, but I am still having two issues with the Windows 10 start menu after several hours of searching reading and pulling hair out. 1) A few of my apps (programs I installed, not apps from the store) were...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. eplorer no longer appears in app list