Windows 10: Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive

Discus and support Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I was encountering a strange problem where I was in File Explorer trying to eject a plugged in USB device. I tried to right click the device,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Tom Rinkel, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive

Hello,

I was encountering a strange problem where I was in File Explorer trying to eject a plugged in USB device. I tried to right click the device, and it stopped responding and crashed. After it started doing this every single time, I realized there was a bit of a problem.

I have been using an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 for the last few months to scan documents for my college work, and without exception, every time I take out the USB device after everything is completed and put it into my computer, the computer says the USB device needs to be scanned for errors. I always say yes, and it never finds anything.

Today, I'm not sure what changed, but I have encountered some new issues. After I had my scanned files on the drive and put it in the computer, I tried to right click the file while inside File Browser so I could preview it and make sure it was correct. My computer automatically tries to go to the CCleaner browser. File Explorer crashed.

After this, I thought the issue may have been with the browser, and sure enough, it wouldn't open. I had to go into Task Manager and shut down the process and reopen the browser, then it worked. But when I tried to right click the file in File Explorer under the USB drive, File Explorer still crashed.

I went ahead and simply dragged the file from the USB into the documents so I could review it later, then I right clicked the USB drive icon so I could eject the USB drive. File Explorer crashed again. I reopened it, it crashed again. I tried ending the File Explorer task in Task Manager, and reopened it, but it still crashed.

I unplugged the USB drive after closing everything and restarted the computer. I also tried using a different USB drive. And sure enough, File Explorer was still crashing, every time, without exception.

It did not do this before today and I am not sure why, though I am suspecting the printer may have something to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is getting a bit frustrating.

Thanks,

Tom

:)

Tom Rinkel, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Zero Ice Win User

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

So, I open up My Computer, open my F Drive and boom: "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close". It is really annoying! I am fine everywhere else in explorer, but something just screws up when I try the external HDD (USB) or my thumb drive.

Can anyone help?

Zero Ice, Mar 27, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer crashing due to large files

thats wierd... iv never had a large file crash explorer before....

and i have files ranging upto 80GB...

slyfox2151, Mar 27, 2020
  4. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive

1. Windows Explorer specifically file explorer Crashing when Attempting to Eject a USB Drive - Similar Threads - Explorer specifically file

2. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  3. Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer Crash constantly when attempting to open explorer window: When clicking the explorer icon, explorer.exe crashes and restarts.Attempted the context menu regedits, sfc scannow, dism online commands all to no avail.Also tested deleting the automatic destinations using powershell commands, it ran and deleted the folder but issue...
  4. Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer keeps crashing when attempting move or copy files: Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exeProblem signatureProblem Event Name: APPCRASHApplication Name: Explorer.EXEApplication Version: 10.0.19041.1110Application Timestamp: e86d289eFault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dllFault Module Version: 10.0.19041.1110Fault Module...
  5. File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera

File Explorer crashes when attempting to copy files from camera: I have been trying to copy files from my digital camera but when I attempt to paste in a local folder, File Explorer crashes and refuses to allow me to make the transfer. This has happened several times recently over multiple days I have restarted the computer several times....
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer Eject

Windows 10 File Explorer Eject: When I select "Eject" in the drive tools menu of File Explorer I do not receive the safe to remove message. The message at one time would display but stopped working after an update as usual....
  7. File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer crashes when right clicking on a drive in explorer: I'm trying to format a USB drive but whenever I right click on it in explorer, file explorer crashes. Any tips on how to fix this? submitted by /u/barkafas2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kf1qtn/file_explorer_crashes_when_right_clicking_on_a/
  8. File Explorer not responding when browsing one specific drive

File Explorer not responding when browsing one specific drive: Hello, I have several drives on my Windows 10 computer. But when I'm browsing through one of these drives, E:, it get's incredibly laggy. Sometimes it gets unresponsive or takes up to one minute to just rename a folder. I have no problem with File Explorer in any other HDD...
  9. Explorer Folder/File Handle Leak? (USB Eject)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer Folder/File Handle Leak? (USB Eject): I am experiencing a problem regarding ejecting USB devices that may indicate a more fundamental issue with Windows/Explorer within Windows 10. In the last one to two weeks (possible updates?) it has become increasingly difficult to eject USB devices. Process Explorer...
  10. File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer crashes attempting file operations, on network drives: Hi This is another FileExplorer crash post - however this one slightly different than others I could find, and the solutions for the others has not provided a solution either. Long story short - upon attempting file operations on mapped network drives - e.g. rename...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb drive files show in explorer but then closes explorer