Windows 10: Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases

Discus and support Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am having an issue on my home PC where Windows Explorer in the task manager is using between 8-10% CPU and RAM increases at a steady rate, I've let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jim0001, May 23, 2020.

1. Jim0001 Win User

Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases

I am having an issue on my home PC where Windows Explorer in the task manager is using between 8-10% CPU and RAM increases at a steady rate, I've let it get to 3GB's before I "restarted" it right now hovering at 8% cpu and 1,384.6 ram. This just started within the last week, before it would use about 64mb's with little to no cpu usage so I thought I would start the "fix-it" try and finally gave up and ended up here.

What I have done thus far is: Virus/Malware Scan both windows and malwarebytes came up clean, CCleaner temp files deletion, reg fixes and such, disc optimizations, driver/windows update shows up to date installs & restarts of machine, device manager is clean no driver update icons, nor error'd items, researched up to 2 years ago worth of "related problems / fixes", unplugged various usb attached items, made sure no missing pictured icons on desktop, deleted "sticky" posts, and cleared action center stuff. That's what I remember doing thus far, there may have been a couple steps i forgotten.

Specs: Windows 10 home, I9-9900k, 32 gb's ram, geforce rtx 2070 if that matters.

Please keep in mind this just started recently and only thing installed was an Xbox Beta game in the last 3 weeks other than driver / program updates.

:)

Jim0001, May 23, 2020

2. RAM leaks and high CPU usage

Sorry to seem so negative, folks, but am I the only one who thinks it's disgraceful that the onus seems continually to be on users to fix the ridiculous RAM leaks and high CPU usage problems that were caused by the Fall 2017 Creators Update?

I received the Creators Update for Windows 10 Pro near the end of the year -- not surprisingly, since I'm currently living in eastern Europe. Installation went smoothly, but from the outset, I began experiencing significantly higher RAM and CPU usage. These
    were issues that I'd not experienced before. I did a bit of research, and discovered that the errors don't really seem to depend on system hardware or idiosyncratic configurations. Instead, the problems appear to lie clearly with the update itself.

I'm lucky enough to have a very robust system: i7 Haswell-E 5820, factory overclocked and liquid-cooled; 32 GB of RAM; GTX-980; fast SSD as my program drive, etc. I also have a Rainmeter skin that shows me RAM and CPU usage in real time. On boot, I used
    to see only about 2.25 GB of RAM being used; CPU would settle to 1-2%. Since the Creators Update, RAM usage on boot is routinely from a low of about 4.25 GB to as much as 7.5 GB, and CPU usage regularly shows prolonged inexplicable intervals of 20 - 35% usage,
    and occasionally even more.

I've tried the various suggested measures to alleviate the problems, with minimal (and only temporary) success at best. I've had no success at all in trying to get information directly from Microsoft through Support. It's worth noting that all the various
    suggestions to deal with these problems involving taking steps to cripple Windows functionality in order to reduce system overheads, thereby depriving users of some of the very benefits the OS is supposed to provide. Microsoft doesn't seem to be bothered by
    that; in fact, it seem quite content to allow users to flounder around in the mess created by the update.

Does anyone have a definitive solution for the RAM leakage and CPU usage problems (short of turning to an alternative OS)? Is there any word as to whether Microsoft will address these problems soon?

Moved from: [Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings]

FlatPicker, May 23, 2020
  3. Windows Explorer high CPU Usage in Windows 10

Hi Andrew,

Usually, too many background processes can boost your CPU usage. Since you already disabled the apps that are not necessary on startup,
    we suggest checking the applications running once you have successfully boot Windows 10. To do this, simply follow the steps below:

• Click on the Start button and type Task Manager on the search box.
    • On the Task Manager window, you should see the programs running.
    • Click on the More details drop-down button to see the total number of apps running and their real-time CPU usage.

From there, you should see what applications are running on high CPU usage. You can also
    restart the Windows Management Instrumentation service and see if your CPU performance will improve. Follow the instructions below to restart the service:

• Click on the Start button and type Services.
    • Scroll down the list and look for Windows Management Instrumentation.
    • Right click on it and select Restart.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, May 23, 2020
  4. iangie Win User

WIN10 1703 update cause Explorer.exe high CPU usage

I am using Surface Pro 3 (i5, 8G RAM)

After WIN10 v1703 update, Windows Explorer uses ~30-40% CPU.

If I uncheck "Show thumbnails instead of icons" in the Performance Options, the CPU usage of Windows Explorer reduces to ~0%

Any suggestion why showing thumbnails cause so high CPU usage in v1703?

Thanks!

iangie, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer steady 10% CPU usage high RAM usage increases - Similar Threads - Explorer steady 10%

2. High cpu and ram usage low gpu usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High cpu and ram usage low gpu usage: Hello, I have got my girlfriend a rx 580 8gb with her i3 10100f, which is pretty good. However, games are performing worse than when she had a gt 710. Even Mimecraft goes on low fps. Besides that, she got only 1x8 of ram, which pc only uses 6gb as max dk why, When I open any...
  3. High cpu and ram usage low gpu usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High cpu and ram usage low gpu usage: Hello, I have got my girlfriend a rx 580 8gb with her i3 10100f, which is pretty good. However, games are performing worse than when she had a gt 710. Even Mimecraft goes on low fps. Besides that, she got only 1x8 of ram, which pc only uses 6gb as max dk why, When I open any...
  4. High cpu and ram usage low gpu usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Explorer High RAM Usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer High RAM Usage: [ATTACH] All of a sudden my explorer is using a questionable amount of ram. I've seen it go up to 4GB. I do use a custom theme patcher (SecureUXTheme) aswell as StartIsBack with my Windows but I've never had this issue before with it and the last update for the patch tool...
  6. Windows Explorer high RAM usage

Windows Explorer high RAM usage: Hi. I've had this issue before but it resolved itself after a windows update came along. I'm experiencing explorer.exe Windows Explorer incrementally increasing its RAM usage upwards of 5GB's and constant cpu usage around 10%. The norm is a steady 49mb's when it's acting...
  7. Ram and CPU usage is very high

Ram and CPU usage is very high: Task Manager shows that My account is using 2GB while in Performance Tab Its telling me I'm Using 9GB of 12GB Please help. I tried restarting but it never works. While the CPU usage is DOUBLED, I use 20% it tells me im using 40% im using 50% it tells me 100% and crashes all...
  8. High cpu and ram usage

High cpu and ram usage: pc lags and my cpu usage is on 90 precent while just watching youtube vids when i open task manager it slowly drops down when i close it it happens again wtf is going on can anyone help me? submitted by /u/nika105 [link] [comments]...
  9. High CPU and ram usage

High CPU and ram usage: pc lags and my cpu usage is on 90 precent while just watching youtube vids when i open task manager it slowly drops down when i close it it happens again wtf is going on can anyone help me? submitted by /u/N_1_K_A [link] [comments]...
  10. Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer High CPU and Increasing Memory Usage: Hi, I have an issue with my clean 1809 install (and also it happened before the clean install, and i decided to try a clean one due to it). After a few minutes, the Windows Explorer process starts increasing its memory usage and also CPU is around 10%; i'm up to 2gb usage...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 low cpu but slow high memory usage 2020