Windows 10: Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed

Discus and support Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; While docked to a Dell WD15 USB-C Monitor Dock with 2 peripheral monitors everything functions normally. When I close the Laptop however, I lose the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by John Slack (jslack), Nov 6, 2018.

1. Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed

While docked to a Dell WD15 USB-C Monitor Dock with 2 peripheral monitors everything functions normally. When I close the Laptop however, I lose the ability to interact with my taskbar and open/closed programs and windows. They are not 'unresponsive' in terms of actual error status but I cannot interact with them as if they were unresponsive.

I have tried Power cycling the dock itself which has been known to fix several obscure issues. I have checked every aspect of the physical layer for loose connections, I have also tried resetting windows explorer.

Any ideas on a possible/sure fix?

Dell Latitude 7490
    Windows 10 Pro 64
    8th Gen Intel Core i7 vPro 8650U (Quad Core, 8MB Cache, 1.9GHz, 15W)

16GB, 2x8GB, DDR4 2400MHz

M.2 256GB Sata Class 20 Solid State Drive

:)

John Slack (jslack), Nov 6, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

internet explore 11 on my laptop (win 10) is crashing and unable to restore

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I would suggest you to run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter which would tell us the reason behind the issue.

Follow these steps to run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select View all on the top left corner.

• Run Internet Explorer Performance troubleshooter.

I would also suggest you to refer to the following article and follow the steps given except resetting Internet Explorer. It has various steps to resolve the issue related to Internet Explorer performance.

What to do when Internet Explorer stops working.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-crashes-stops-working#ie=ie-11

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 6, 2018
  3. Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed

1. Windows Explorer Stops Functioning W/Laptop Closed - Similar Threads - Explorer Stops Functioning

2. Immediate closing of Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Immediate closing of Windows Explorer.: When I try to open Windows Explorer running Windows 10 the file opens for a few seconds and then closes. I have turned off / on with and without unplugging everything. I have run sfc/scannow . The computer is a couple of years old and I have not had any problems like this...
  3. W and 2 keys not functioning.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W and 2 keys not functioning.: I recently purchased an Acer swift laptop and everything started smoothly until recently It's started mapping the W and 2 keys to windows and fn respectively. So when I press the W key when trying to type it suddenly performs every windows function under the sun lock,...
  4. W and 2 keys not functioning.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W and 2 keys not functioning.: I recently purchased an Acer swift laptop and everything started smoothly until recently It's started mapping the W and 2 keys to windows and fn respectively. So when I press the W key when trying to type it suddenly performs every windows function under the sun lock,...
  5. Explorer "Close all windows" completely stopped working

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer "Close all windows" completely stopped working: All of a sudden, when I have multiple File Explorer windows open, right clicking the "Close All Windows" button does nothing at all. This started about two weeks ago. I've run SFC full and it found no errors to speak of (I replaced a lock screen image that I hated, so the...
  6. Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer stops interacting with Windows and closes: I wonder if anyone can help? Since yesterday, one of my PCs has effectively frozen where Windows Explorer is concerned. It takes several minutes to perform the simplest task, such as a file transfer. In addition to this, the Windows taskbar and start menu freeeze. Windows...
  7. Windows File Explorer randomly stops functioning properly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File Explorer randomly stops functioning properly: I experienced an issue today which I sometimes used to experience on my old computer but I'm now using a completely new computer (new install) and just experienced it again. I don't know how replicate it or why it seems to happen so I guess it's just happening at random? The...
  8. Windows Explorer not functioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer not functioning: How can I repair my windows explorer? I recently installed latest version of Windows but not the windows explorer file explorer does not work. When i open it and click on a file, it just shows the little sand timer thingy and that goes on forever, until i have to close...
  9. Close lid functions malfunction

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close lid functions malfunction: I have a HP 2018 Elitebook 840 G1 14 inch and I've tired multiple times to set up the close lid function so i can close the lid and still have my windows open on another screen. But no matter what i do or change it still goes straight to shut down after i close it. How can...
  10. Accidentally closed Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Accidentally closed Windows Explorer: I accidentally close windows explorer. Everything turned black in the bacround. I know you are supposed to hit control-alt-delete but I can't do that. I shut down my PC with the button and now when I restart this: http://imgur.com/a/82KKX4W comes up. I can't even get onto the...