Windows 10: Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

Discus and support Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195). I mean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Paultx, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Paultx Win User

Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types

What file types Windows Explorer is capable of showing thumbnail previews of in the latest Windows 10 versions? Today mine is 1809 (17763.195).

I mean all kinds of files: documents, images, videos, etc.—without the need of third-party programs, plug-ins, extensions, etc.

Can someone provide a list or a source where I can find it? TIA.

:)

Paultx, Jan 5, 2019
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jan 5, 2019
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    "This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Jan 5, 2019
  4. Anne Fuj Win User

Preview pane (file explorer) not always working on OneDrive files

Thank you for keeping us posted. We apologize for the delay as we are checking this case thoroughly.

Since the above troubleshooting steps did not work, let us try a different method to fix this.

It's possible that the thumbnail cache becomes corrupted. Resulting your thumbnails to display incorrectly and some files may not show as thumbnail preview, or sometimes preview is not available at all.

Recreate the thumbnail cache using Disk Cleanup

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the left pane, click This PC.
    • Right-click the C: drive where Windows 10 is installed, and select
      Properties.
    • Click the Disk Cleanup button.
    • Check the Thumbnails option, and uncheck all the other options.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Delete Files to confirm and to complete the task.

You may also recreate the thumbnail cache using Command Prompt just in case the above steps did not work.

• Open Start.
    • Search for Command Prompt.
    • Right-click the result and select Run as administrator.
    • Type the following command to stop File Explorer and press Enter:
      • taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
    • Type the following command to delete all the thumbnail database files without asking for confirmation and press
      Enter:
      • del /f /s /q /a %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\thumbcache_*.db
    • Type the following command to start File Explorer and press Enter:
      • start explorer.exe
    • Close Command Prompt to complete the task.

Let us know how things go.

Anne Fuj, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer thumbnail preview file types - Similar Threads - Explorer thumbnail preview

2. Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures not displaying thumbnail previews in File Explorer: I recently bought a laptop with Windows 10, having decided to move away from Apple MacBook. This has proven to be a disaster. I use my laptop as I edit photos and graphic design content. However it is proving an impossible task to do this as all of my saved files won't...
  3. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  4. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 News
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer: [ATTACH]In Windows 10, the File Explorer shows us tiny previews for videos and images that are stored on our system’s hard disk. Most of us […] This article Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in Windows 10 File Explorer first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Thumbnail Preview Spacing: Greetings, I've recently switched from Windows 7 to 10 and I've noticed a behavior that I was curious about. If possible, I'd like to remedy it, but Google searching doesn't really yield any meaningful results. Here's the issue I'm seeing. If I set Windows to show thumbnail...
  6. Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnail Previews on File Explorer aren't showing: I've tried everything for fixing this. Clearing the cache of the thumbnails, unchecking the always show icons not thumbnails, and a lot of the things online. I still can't find a solution. One thing I might think it might be is that the thumbnails arent loading which I...
  7. Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change File Type Icon in Thumbnail Preview: I use Google SketchUp a lot and each new model/file I create, SketchUp makes a .skb back up file of the last save. I was able to create a subkey in the registry to associate a different icon file for the .skb files but it does not change the icon if the folder view is set to...
  8. Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Thumbnail Previews in File Explorer in Windows 10 [img] Information File Explorer can display thumbnail images or icons for files and folders in Windows 10. This...
  9. How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    How to turn on Thumbnail Preview in File Explorer: How to I turn on Thumbnail Preview for my JPEG 's in File Exploere? 15850
  10. Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Preview Bar Displaying WRONG Thumbnails in the File Explorer: My laptop is displaying the wrong thumbnails after i upgrade to windows 10. When you open the file explorer and preview an file the next file your going to preview will be same thumbnail to the first one even the other files. Here s an video so i can explain well....