Windows 10: Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

Discus and support Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Anuj Choudhari, Nov 24, 2022.

1. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex 7020 sff

:)

Anuj Choudhari, Nov 24, 2022
  2. barence Win User

Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy.

Speedfan indicates core temps rise to ~ 70 degrees C, "Temp1" rises to 75 - 80 degrees, fan 1 speed ~ 4000rpm,
    fan 2 speed ~ 2500 rpm.

I have just installed Windows 10 so it seems it could not be caused by a virus/malware.

In windows 7 forums some users found the problem was caused by a corrupted file:

Explorer.exe 50% CPU usage - Windows 7 Help Forums

Since my problem is intermittent is it unlikely to be caused by a corrupted file?

I can't use the solution suggested in the W7 forums because when I kill explorer I lose my desktop.

I ran diskcheck on both my hard drives and it reported no errors found.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Can someone please explain why a corrupted file would cause explorer to run at 50% cpu usage?

barence, Nov 24, 2022
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    wsappx is using 50% of the CPU

Hi,

Wsappx is a Windows Store program that is trawling your computer for all installed apps and telling Microsoft what programs you have, what versions etc. If it’s using more than 50% of your CPU and causes trouble on your
    device, we would recommend that you disable it. You may follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Look for Administrative Tools.
    • Select Computer Management then Services, you will see this entry:

Windows Store Service (WSService) "Provides infrastructure..." [Status is blank] "Manual (Trigger Start)" "Local System"
    • Now you may disable it.

Feel free to contact us if you have further inquiries.

Rose Ter, Nov 24, 2022
  4. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

Windows Explorer Replacement?

are you running IE7? if not that wouold be my first suggestion,upgrade to ie7 that can fix some stability issues with windows explorer

Athlon2K15, Nov 24, 2022
Thema:

Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

1. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU - Similar Threads - Explorer using upwards

2. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  3. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  4. Shell Infrastructure Host using ~50% of CPU in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shell Infrastructure Host using ~50% of CPU in Windows 10: For over a day now, the Shell Infrastructure Host service is using around 50% of my CPU - causing the fan on my laptop to run constantly. I am running Windows 10 Professional on a Thinkpad T460P with an Intel i5-6440 CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a Samsung 1 TB SSD. I have confirmed...
  5. ntoskrnl.exe using 50% of cpu.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ntoskrnl.exe using 50% of cpu.: The process appears as System in task manager and shows the .exe name when clicked on properties. Its using a lot of the cpu, and id like to know how to fix that. It wasnt like that a few days ago. Thanks submitted by /u/Luis_Santeliz [link] [comments]...
  6. Why is x box using that much CPU? Why is explorer using 50%?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is x box using that much CPU? Why is explorer using 50%?: Been sitting here for hours trying to do my school work but my typical day is 6 hours of fighting with Microsoft and two hours of work. I have no idea at all how any one can say this OS works, it does not. No one can prove it to me. It does not work. My PC is being a turtle,...
  7. MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MsMpENG.exe using over 50% of CPU.: So I have tried everything I have read but this issue is not going away. So I can't seem to get this program to stop using all my cpu. I have tried the following I have read in the following order: 1. Told Windows Defender to stop scanning itself. 2. Installed a...
  8. Windows explorer using 20-50% cpu after opening folders with music

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer using 20-50% cpu after opening folders with music: When I open a folder with music and wait a couple of seconds windows explorer will use up a lot of cpu and not respond until I restart in the task manager. This fixes it until I open a music folder again which repeats the process. 78590
  9. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage: Hello, I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance loss. I do not know what is causing this problem, as it does have to do with my activity, since when this happens I am not...
  10. Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage: Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy. Speedfan indicates core temps rise...