Windows 10: windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

Discus and support windows explorer wont let me rename existing file in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Everytime i try to change file name i get this error any ideas as to why id also like to mentiomn this just started recently then a little while i had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Archambault93, May 19, 2022.

1. windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

Everytime i try to change file name i get this error any ideas as to why id also like to mentiomn this just started recently then a little while i had amn eror stating that windows ran into a problem had to festart and also a grey screen appeard

:)

Archambault93, May 19, 2022
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

windows explorer wont let me rename existing file wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

3. PaulE3779 Win User
    Cannot rename files - File or folder does not exist

When I try and rename a file or folder on my desktop I get an error message - The file or folder does not exist. They do exist. I have full control over them by permissions. I can rename them through CMD. I can rename files in other folders. In looking around
    the internet I found the instructions below on the Microsoft website,
    they didn't help.

Help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Method 1: Run Built in Troubleshooter.

Please follow the steps below to run Built in Troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the Search area on the taskbar.
    2. Click on View all on the left panel of the Troubleshooting Windows.
    3. Select Windows store Apps.
    4. Follow the on screen instruction.

Method 2: If the issue still persist please follow below steps.

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    2. Click File > Run New Task.
    3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
    4. Type Powershell
    5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
    6. Close the Powershell window
    7. Reboot.
    Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

PaulE3779, May 19, 2022
  4. Ahhzz Win User

windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 19, 2022
Thema:

windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

1. windows explorer wont let me rename existing file - Similar Threads - explorer wont let

2. Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders: You go into a folder, look at what is in it the folder and realize it should be called something else. So you close the files you were looking at and try to fix the folder's name, but Windows gives an error message saying you can't do that because something in the folder is...
  3. Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows wont' let me rename directories & folders: You go into a folder, look at what is in it the folder and realize it should be called something else. So you close the files you were looking at and try to fix the folder's name, but Windows gives an error message saying you can't do that because something in the folder is...
  4. windows wont let me activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows wont let me activate.: Running on a new daily driver rig. Windows wont let me activate, tried all the troubleshooting stuff, any help would be great as i cant be bothered to buy a new code for something that isnt my fault....
  5. windows wont let me activate.

windows wont let me activate.: Running on a new daily driver rig. Windows wont let me activate, tried all the troubleshooting stuff, any help would be great as i cant be bothered to buy a new code for something that isnt my fault....
  6. windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

windows explorer wont let me rename existing file: Everytime i try to change file name i get this error any ideas as to why id also like to mentiomn this just started recently then a little while i had amn eror stating that windows ran into a problem had to festart and also a grey screen appeard...
  7. windows explorer wont let me rename existing file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows explorer wont let me rename existing file: Everytime i try to change file name i get this error any ideas as to why id also like to mentiomn this just started recently then a little while i had amn eror stating that windows ran into a problem had to festart and also a grey screen appeard...
  8. File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer wont let me open a file with a different program: This MC shaders had something I needed to fix, but when i was going to fix it i accidentally chose my browser, and now it wont let me change programs. how do i fix this? [ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer won't let me open, move, delete, rename, etc any of my files

File Explorer won't let me open, move, delete, rename, etc any of my files: File Explorer won't let me open, move, rename, or delete my files. It just freezes and says "Not Responding" so I have to exit out of File Explorer. If I need to open a word document I have to open Word and find the file that way. I feel as though this didn't start...
  10. File explorer not letting me search

File explorer not letting me search: Hey so basically the issue is every time i try to search, ill go to click the search bar, the cursor does change to the the cursor when you go to type, but when i click nothing happens im really stressed out over this please help....