Windows 10: Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus

Discus and support Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint all seem to be missing a black border when the window is in focus. I am running 20H2. Is this happening to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Emendo, Nov 11, 2020.

1. /u/Emendo Win User

Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus

My Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint all seem to be missing a black border when the window is in focus. I am running 20H2. Is this happening to anyone else?

https://imgur.com/a/AyO6wtH

submitted by /u/Emendo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Emendo, Nov 11, 2020

2. black border

Hi Adele,

For us to isolate your concern with the black border on your computer, we would like to know the following:

• When did this happen?
    • Were there any updates made on your computer prior to this concern?
    • To make sure we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Send us a screenshot of the black border.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Nov 11, 2020
  3. black border

I only turned my pc on. then plugged in my Clickfree to backup my files. Have no idea if there were updates.

AdeleMcLennan, Nov 11, 2020
  4. Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus

The Windows explorer borders are missing (white) on the window in focus (Win10)

With a specific setup in Windows 10 you may end up with the Explorer window
    in focus
    appearing as if it has no border.

Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus 03bb3e03-c18c-40ed-aeeb-34d8325f5e6e?upload=true.jpg

The border is actually not missing (you can see that on the coloured areas on the image above), but the Windows Explorer border colour changes to
    white when you set focus to it, and then it very often looks as if there was no border at all, since other windows (below) often tend to have a white background. White on white is not a good combination.

This happens if you have turned off all visual effects, including shadows (to get a faster and/or cleaner interface).

I consider this a design flaw. Setting focus to an Explorer window should never, or at least not by default, make the outer borders of that window disappear (turn white).

To get a visible border (as it was in older versions of windows), you can of turn on shadows effects, or if you want no "effects", even
    simpler: you can turn on accent colours for "Title bars and window borders", and select an accent colour. I selected "dark teal" in the screen-shot below.

If you make the second choice above, I say Windows looks better when you also turn on accent colour for "Start, task bar and action center" (the other checkbox).

Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus 7805646e-b9fd-4bf1-ac56-8483a34ddc82?upload=true.jpg

I'm adding this information along with screen shots, to inform other Windows 10 users in a hopefully simple way, how the problem can be dealt with, while waiting for a better default behaviour when visual effects are turned off.

Andreas på Ön, Nov 11, 2020
Thema:

Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus

1. Windows Explorer, Wordpad and Paint missing black border when in focus - Similar Threads - Explorer Wordpad Paint

2. Black border Around Focus/Selected Items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black border Around Focus/Selected Items: Hi,Is there a way to remove or disable the black border? I tried disabling the narrator but it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-border-around-focusselected-items/8330daa6-d36f-4c4b-a182-d877b616adbd
  3. Black border Around Focus/Selected Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black border Around Focus/Selected Items: Hi,Is there a way to remove or disable the black border? I tried disabling the narrator but it doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-border-around-focusselected-items/8330daa6-d36f-4c4b-a182-d877b616adbd
  4. Black screen when opening Wordpad

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen when opening Wordpad: Hello, every time I open WordPad or LibreOffice any program of the product family my Windows 10 completely crashes with a black screen and needs manual power down by hard killing the system by pressing the power button for an extended amount of time. The crash occurs as...
  5. Black Border

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black Border: I have a black border around my screen after doing a windows update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-border/600e48a6-1d31-460e-bd06-ac6c1e615e5f
  6. Is there a way to stop hiding the 1px border when a window is not in focus?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to stop hiding the 1px border when a window is not in focus?: Pretty much as the title says. I like to have things in windows, not full screen. I've tried searching many sites but so far been unable to find any correct setting. I don't want to get rid of the border entirely, I just want it to always be displayed. Then there is no...
  7. Wordpad, paint, notepad not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wordpad, paint, notepad not working: After system repair, wordpad & paint not getting open. Message is appearing as "unable to create new document". Notepad not even responding at all. Someone has given soluation that Wordpad.exe file should be at correct location. But i am not able to find out that file also....
  8. The Windows explorer borders are missing white on the window in focus Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    The Windows explorer borders are missing white on the window in focus Win10: With a specific setup in Windows 10 you may end up with the Explorer window in focus appearing as if it has no border. [ATTACH] The border is actually not missing you can see that on the coloured areas on the image above, but the Windows Explorer border colour changes...
  9. Lock/anchor dictation focus to WordPad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lock/anchor dictation focus to WordPad?: I want to take notes in WordPad while browsing. i.e. I want to lock/anchor dictation's focus to wordpad so that while I browse/click on webpages (changing focus to the browser), I can dictate and have the text entered into WordPad. Thoughts/suggestions? Thx...
  10. That one focus border.

in Windows 10 Support
    That one focus border.: Hello, I'm sorry to bother everyone about this issue that has been discussed so many times before, but I tried looking around and I wasn't able to find any proper solution. So there's this issue with the focus border appearing on unfocused items in explorer, for example...