Windows 10: Windows Explorer's Jumplist reads "frequent" but shows recent

Discus and support Windows Explorer's Jumplist reads "frequent" but shows recent in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I right-click on the Windows Explorer icon pinned to my taskbar, the jumplist shows, as usual, a list of pinned locations followed by a list of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jki, Mar 7, 2020.

1. JKI
    jki Win User

Windows Explorer's Jumplist reads "frequent" but shows recent

When I right-click on the Windows Explorer icon pinned to my taskbar, the jumplist shows, as usual, a list of pinned locations followed by a list of "frequent" locations. But the latter is actually showing the most recent places where I opened/saved a file, regardless of how frequently I use that folder. So even if I never used a folder before, it goes to the top of the "frequent" list when I open a file there. I've recently migrated from Windows 7, where the jumplist is ordered by frequency by default (until you permanently mess it up with CCleaner, apparently) and I would like to know if it is possible to make it work like that on Windows 10 too.

Please note this has nothing to do with Quick Access and its Frequent Folders and Recent Files. Most of my searches redirected to questions about these.

Also, searching about this issue I actually found many people asking how to do the opposite i.e their jumplists are actually sorted by most frequent first and they wanted to change to most recent. Was it different in early versions of Windows 10? It's also odd that my jumplist actually reads "frequent" despite showing recent. I hope there is a way to change it.

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 7, 2020
  3. jsmonroe Win User
    Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

It is not just a name change - there is "frequent folders" and "recent files" --- there is not "recent folders"

There are only a few folders when you right click on the taskbar icon - previous Windows had a longer list under the "Recent Places" folder

jsmonroe, Mar 7, 2020
  4. wpcoe Win User

Where are 'Favorites' and 'Recent places' in file explorer?

On my Win10 installations (clean install of Win10 Home on notebook, updgrade install of Win 10 Pro on desktop), <right-click> on Explorer's taskbar icon only displays the items in my Quick Access list. And, only the first ten*, at that. It's not a true "recent files" or "recent folders" list like in previous Windows versions.

*Off topic, but Win10 seems to abandoned user control over how many jump list items can be displayed on taskbar icons. It's hard-wired at ten items?

wpcoe, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows Explorer's Jumplist reads "frequent" but shows recent - Similar Threads - Explorer's Jumplist reads

2. Dropbox will not cooperate with file explorer jumplist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dropbox will not cooperate with file explorer jumplist: A folder within my Dropbox folder refuses to appear in file explorer's jumplist's "frequent" list. All i can do as a workaround is place a shortcut of the pesky folder into a new folder and pin THAT into my jumplist - but it adds a click to my workflow. Any ideas? Dropbox...
  3. Dropbox will not cooperate with file explorer jumplist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dropbox will not cooperate with file explorer jumplist: A folder within my Dropbox folder refuses to appear in file explorer's jumplist's "frequent" list. All i can do as a workaround is place a shortcut of the pesky folder into a new folder and pin THAT into my jumplist - but it adds a click to my workflow. Any ideas? Dropbox...
  4. Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders: So i've spent a loooooong portion of my windows tenure with jumplists & recents turned off. no use for them. decided to give them a try and finding some functionality broken/not working. I can get both quick access and the taskbar jumplist to populate with recents but...
  5. Windows Explorer Frequent Folders and Recent Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Frequent Folders and Recent Files: 4-6 weeks ago, folders listed in Quick Access / Frequent Folders disappeared, leaving only Desktop, Downloads, Documents and Folders. All Quick Access / Recent Files disappeared entirely. I suspect an automatic update is the culprit. I have searched high and low for a...
  6. FIXED – WINDOWS 10 JUMPLIST DELAY OPENING JUMPLIST FOLDERS FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER TASKBAR ICON

in Windows 10 Customization
    FIXED – WINDOWS 10 JUMPLIST DELAY OPENING JUMPLIST FOLDERS FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER TASKBAR ICON: [ATTACH] Hey Gang. I’ve been running Windows 10 Pro x64, and have been experiencing Jumplist delay of about 1-2 sec when trying to open jumplist folders from Windows Explorer Taskbar Icon. After hours of researching and testing, I discovered that my issue was caused by two...
  7. Windows Media Player Jumplist Only Shows 4 Frequent/Recent Items

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Player Jumplist Only Shows 4 Frequent/Recent Items: for those who dont know, the jumplist is the list of items that appear when you right click or drag up on an app in the taskbar i have the jumplist set to 12 items, but the jumplist for Media Player only shows 4 under the Frequent/Recent list, if i pin them it shows them...
  8. Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks

Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks: I no longer have a section of the Jumplist labeled "Recent" it's just gone. I have 10+ Pinned workbooks and those all show up under the "Pinned" section of the jumplist but there is no "Recent" section or any documents showing other than my pinned workbooks. This just...
  9. File Explorer will not show "recent files"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer will not show "recent files": I have had this problem: that File Explorer will not show "recent files" on Windows 10 for a long time. I have Googled and searched for answers on here and elsewhere and cannot find a solution. I know it's supposed to show these files. How can I fix this?...
  10. Since new update taskbar jumplists cannot be read anymore

Since new update taskbar jumplists cannot be read anymore: I have a seemingly trivial problem, but I cannot solve it despite my omniscient friend Google. A few days ago my Windows 10 did a Windows Update again, and since this time I can no longer read my taskbar jumplists. This is quite annoying, because I rely a lot on them at my...