Windows 10: Windows extremely slow after anniversary update.

Discus and support Windows extremely slow after anniversary update. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So I held back on updating to the anniversary update for a few weeks, but then starting having some problems with sleep and power, so i downloaded the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ethanh100, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ethanh100 Win User

Windows extremely slow after anniversary update.

So I held back on updating to the anniversary update for a few weeks, but then starting having some problems with sleep and power, so i downloaded the update tool and updated to version 1607. My problems were solved, but now today, a few days later, I suddenly have many issues with performance. To start, it takes about 10 minutes to boot windows, about 90 seconds to log on, and about another 5 minuets until the icons pop up on the taskbar and there is no more loading icon on the cursor and i can actually operate the system. Before the update, i would boot in 5-6 seconds, and experience no slowness or lag when i log on, and i have an ssd that has a 400mbps write and 250 read.(Other specs will be below). Even after a using the system booted up for a while, programs are slow to load, and things like icons for files take 15-30 seconds to load. I unfortunately was running out of space on my ssd, and had to remove the previous installations of windows with disk cleanup, so i cannot go back to the previous build. I currently have no updates available, and am on build 14393.187. What can I do? I turned off insider build for now. I have a backed up version of the media create tool from before the anniversary update, if i used that to do the "upgrade" style of installation, rather than the "custom", will it touch my files or programs? This is really unacceptable for this to be released like this, making my computer much less usable, and I know I shouldn't have deleted the windows.old, but something like this shouldn't have happened, especially a few days after it running fine. Thanks.
    System specs:
    FX 8320 @ 4.7ghz
    MSI 970 gaming
    ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070
    650w EVGA NEX PSU
    16gb Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3

EDIT: I also started having BSODs, and now that I think of it, it all started when I was playing a game, blue screened, then it was slow.

:)

ethanh100, Sep 24, 2016

2. Windows extremely slow after anniversary update.

Please upload no more than three copies
    of your dump files that were created during the last 14 days as shared files to your OneDrive with a link here.

Dump files are usually found at c:\windows\minidump. You may need to change your settings in Windows to be able to see the files. To show hidden files select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+S, type File Explorer Options in the Search box and click Folder Options in the drop down menu. Select View, Advanced Settings and verify that the box before "Show hidden files and folders" is checked and
    "Hide protected operating system files" is unchecked. You may need to scroll down to see the second item. You should also make certain that the box before "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked.

What is your computer make and model? If not a branded computer what is your motherboard make and model?

Please download and run Driver View and upload a copy of the report it produces to your OneDrive. To get a report on all drivers select Edit, Select All followed by File, Save Selected Items. Text file format please, HTML files are less easy
    to work with.

DriverView: Loaded Windows Drivers List

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32 and press the ENTER
    key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located.
    Files in the txt file format are preferred. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information
    is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Sep 24, 2016
  3. Ethanh100 Win User

So I held back on updating to the anniversary update for a few weeks, but then starting having some problems with sleep and power, so i downloaded the update tool and updated to version 1607. My problems were solved, but now today, a few days later, I suddenly
    have many issues with performance. To start, it takes about 10 minutes to boot windows, about 90 seconds to log on, and about another 5 minuets until the icons pop up on the taskbar and there is no more loading icon on the cursor and i can actually operate
    the system. Before the update, i would boot in 5-6 seconds, and experience no slowness or lag when i log on, and i have an ssd that has a 400mbps write and 250 read.(Other specs will be below). Even after a using the system booted up for a while, programs
    are slow to load, and things like icons for files take 15-30 seconds to load. I unfortunately was running out of space on my ssd, and had to remove the previous installations of windows with disk cleanup, so i cannot go back to the previous build. I currently
    have no updates available, and am on build 14393.187. What can I do? I turned off insider build for now. I have a backed up version of the media create tool from before the anniversary update, if i used that to do the "upgrade" style of installation, rather
    than the "custom", will it touch my files or programs? This is really unacceptable for this to be released like this, making my computer much less usable, and I know I shouldn't have deleted the windows.old, but something like this shouldn't have happened,
    especially a few days after it running fine. Thanks.

System specs:

FX 8320 @ 4.7ghz

MSI 970 gaming

ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070

650w EVGA NEX PSU

16gb Gskill Ripjaws X DDR3

EDIT: I also started having BSODs, and now that I think of it, it all started when I was playing a game, blue screened, then it was slow.

Ethanh100, Sep 24, 2016
  4. eLPuSHeR Win User

I have noticed that many things may have been resetted to defaults after AU. And this includes drivers. Start by checking these.

eLPuSHeR, Sep 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows extremely slow after anniversary update. - Similar Threads - extremely slow anniversary

2. PC EXTREMELY slow after Windows definition update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC EXTREMELY slow after Windows definition update.: Hello, Yesterday my PC had a definition update - Security intelligence update KB2267602. I've logged onto my pc today and this update has made my computer awfully slow. My PC is high end, it has an Intel Xeon 10855-M, Nvidia quadro rtx 3000, 32gb RAM and plenty of free...
  3. Internet EXTREMELY slow after windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internet EXTREMELY slow after windows update: I just updated to windows 10 version 1909 and then reset my pc (as i was planning on doing) After I set it back up my download for web browsing, download games and anything else has been at under 1 mb. My ping In games is also over a thousand. I’ve tried everything; DNS...
  4. Wifi extremely slow after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi extremely slow after updates: I just updated to the latest Nov update and now, for whatever reason, my wifi speeds are terrible. I am getting 1.8-2 mbps on a network that I use where I was getting 50-60 mbps prior to the install. I tested this network on my iphone and ipad and I am getting 55-60...
  5. Laptop Extremely Slow after a Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Extremely Slow after a Windows 10 update: Happened on March 14, 2019 Was going to shut down my laptop and one of the buttons was "update and shutdown." I haven't experienced problems in the past updates of win 10 so I let it update. The next day, it took 10 minutes for my pc to start up, refreshing took a whole...
  6. Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 extremely slow after failed update: i am getting overwhemled trying to solve this problem, and I dont know what route to take to try and fix my laptop. It is running very slowly making any attempt to fix it a long process. I do not know what is causing this so i do not know how to attempt to fix it. The issues...
  7. Slow user switch after Anniversary Update

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Slow user switch after Anniversary Update: Ever since the Anniversary Update, I have been experiencing very slow user changes between different accounts. Prior to the update it took 2-3 seconds. Now, when I attempt to switch between different user accounts that are logged in, I timed it at about 18 seconds. During...
  8. Very slow boot after Anniversary update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot after Anniversary update: I had no problems with Windows 10 start times but since the Anniversary update, boot time is just under 3 minutes. Any ideas to what to look into for the cause? 59112
  9. Computer UNBEARABLY SLOW After Anniversary Update

Computer UNBEARABLY SLOW After Anniversary Update: My computer is unbearably slow after the Anniversary Update. Tried everything I can think of, which is basically CCleaner and SFC /SCANNOW. Nothing has seemed to work. What should I do? My version of Windows 10 x64 is a free upgrade from Windows 7, if that means anything...
  10. Very slow startup after Windows Anniversary update

Very slow startup after Windows Anniversary update: I find that I have to wait for a good 5 minutes before the startup of Windows 10 with the latest version and update to this date of today's. How can I reduce the time to have a quick or fast statup with my desktop? I did tried few things to see if that help and still the same...