Windows 10: Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue...

Discus and support Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Note: I will update this thread as I receive advice and apply tests. I have the following problem, which has occurred before, but continues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EAlbers, Feb 20, 2019.

1. EAlbers Win User

Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue...

Hi all,

Note: I will update this thread as I receive advice and apply tests.

I have the following problem, which has occurred before, but continues today on a brand new win10 installation.
    Problem:
    Windows freezes, becomes a black screen during use, or cannot see external HDD if it is connected. This requires system to be rebooted, or it reboots automatically. Upon reboot, system fails to boot successfully, often showing the Asus boot logo or stopping at the Win10 boot screen, after which it reboots again in a loop. Eventually, the Windows Rescue Environment (WRE) appears saying windows could not be booted and could not be repaired (shows restart and troubleshoot buttons).

1. In the WRE, NO troubleshooting options work. Startup repair, load earlier restore point, uninstall updates, (insert any WRE options I'm currently forgetting) do NOT work. I've tried them all. They all fail.
    2. CMD can be accessed on earlier cases of this problem. But I did not try it on the most recent one (yesterday evening).
    3. Every time the issue occurs, I had to reinstall my OS.
    4. Issue occurred on win10, but after using my win8.1 installation disk the problem also occurred on that OS soon after reinstall.

Most recent appearance of the problem:
    19-02-19:
    Following the appearance of the Problem on windows 8.1 fresh install, I suspected a failing SSD.
    I bought a new SSD (Samsung EVO 860 500GB) and replaced my OS drive. I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool from the Microsoft site on a laptop and created a USB boot media. With that, I booted the desktop and proceeded to create a partition on the new, empty SSD (sorted as Disk 2) and installed win10 to that drive. After installation, I rebooted the system twice to check for errors. Everything seemed fine.

The system had been deactivated for a while and I initially thought I was missing a partition on another drive (sorted as Disk 0), so I hooked up my external HDD to check if I had made a copy of said partition (I was mistaken as Disk 0 had some empty space I still need to resolve someday). However, Win10 did NOT add any Ext-HDD volumes to the Explorer list. It could not see the drive. I opened device manager where the Ext-HDD was present under disk drives, and opted to update the driver. Drivers already up to date. Win10 presented me with the option to search for updates through Windows Update, which I selected. (New installation, so Win-Update likely has updates anyway, better get it over with). Windows starts to search for updates, and begins to download updates. At that point, my screen starts flashing black, and eventually reboots. It fails to boot and hangs at the Asus boot screen. I press the reset button eventually, and it tries to boot (unsuccessfully) multiple times before entering the WRE with the message that Windows could not start.

WRE shows two types of updates installed, but I cannot uninstall either of them. Their names have slipped my mind at the moment.
    Startup repair sat on the 'attempting to repair' screen for the night, but in the morning it had the message that it was unable to repair anything.
    System restore point finds no restore point.

I think that covers everything. So the issue still occurs on a brand new disk, with a new windows install. I do not know what's causing this.

My system components:
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    23 GB RAM
    OS drive is a brand new (bought yesterday) Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB

Keywords:
    Windows 10**** Windows update (?)

I am currently at work so cannot check things, but I'll get to it tonight.

Thanks to anyone for taking the time to try and help with this.

:)

EAlbers, Feb 20, 2019
  2. mackiest Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade failed, then restoring Windows 7 failed, now cannot even boot rescue DVD

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 64-bit PC.

Windows 10 upgrade got stuck at 50%. On reboot it said it would restore previous version.

But now when it boots it just gets stuck at a low-res version of a blank Windows desktop (no icons).

I have a Windows back-up from prior to the upgrade, but strangely now when I boot the rescue media it gives the same frozen default desktop. The DVD works fine and showed all the signs of booting from DVD.

So I can't boot Windows and I can't boot the recovery media either. I'm a bit stumped at this point. Can anyone suggest next steps?

mackiest, Feb 20, 2019
  3. djoatmeal Win User
    Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

Last night around 9pm I noticed the pc was doing another update. Endless boot loop again. I ran through the steps from yesterday with one new result and it will not boot.
    Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue... [​IMG]

djoatmeal, Feb 20, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue...

Seagate Rescue | Restore

for free *Wink Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue... ;)

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/promo/rescue-restore?cmpid=emc_rescue072111_downloadbutton

Use code "RESCUE" to get a Free "Single five-user" license. Must be an IT tech/system builder, etc. Requires Valid email address (for license). It's basically a software that lets you build an original system ISO, save it to a hidden partition, and make it accessible to restore to your "Factory Default" settings. Perfect for us Home Builders that like to get in trouble loading/unloading/tweaking software, and want an easy out to get back to ground zero.
    *Toast :toast:

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue... - Similar Threads - fails boot blackscreen

2. PC fails to boot after freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC fails to boot after freeze: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800xGPU: Asus ROG Strix 3070Motherboard: Asus x570-f gamingBoot drive: Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVMEWindows version: Windows 10 up to date forced update with reboot 2 days before the problem startedOther details:Fresh install of Windows 10 in december...
  3. PC fails to boot after freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC fails to boot after freeze: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800xGPU: Asus ROG Strix 3070Motherboard: Asus x570-f gamingBoot drive: Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVMEWindows version: Windows 10 up to date forced update with reboot 2 days before the problem startedOther details:Fresh install of Windows 10 in december...
  4. Cannot boot, repair, reset, restore Windows 10 at all.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot boot, repair, reset, restore Windows 10 at all.: Hi,My Windows 10 desktop PC won't boot into operating system at all. I tried everything and nothing works.This is a year old build, had no problems with it so far, there are no new hardware additions, I also haven't installed anything on it for weeks. All of a sudden I'm...
  5. Cannot boot windows. Reset, restore, repair, nothing worked

Cannot boot windows. Reset, restore, repair, nothing worked: Cannot boot windows. Reset, restore, repair, nothing worked https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-boot-windows-reset-restore-repair-nothing/53c9f9cf-4fc0-429a-833e-63bd0099f824
  6. After a System restore computer fails to repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After a System restore computer fails to repair: So I did a system restore and after waking up in the morning I saw that the system still didn't restore. So I powered off my device and restored it. The acer Logo shows and says its repairing the pc. After that it will give me the advanced options and such. I've tried wiping...
  7. Windows 10 will not boot, System Restore and Startup Repair failed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 will not boot, System Restore and Startup Repair failed.: So today I switched on my PC, and upon getting to the desktop it gave me a black screen. So I restarted into advanced options and did a system restore, which failed. I then tried to boot into safe mode, but it gave me a BSoD with the STOP CODE: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Now, I...
  8. Windows fails to boot after freezing

Windows fails to boot after freezing: Please forgive any errors this is my first post here. Hello my desktop ssd recently froze. Nothing out of the ordinary it happens from time to time. When I restarted it failed to boot. I read up and I believe it it is an 0xc0000098 error. When I tried bcdbackup it also...
  9. Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Boot loop after update no safe mode option-repair fails- restore fails: About a week ago update keep saying an update failed due to lack of drive space so I fixed the issue. After that the update went through but keep failing and the pc would boot and remove the update. The pc was working normally otherwise. I have been extremely busy with work...
  10. Blackscreen after repair mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Blackscreen after repair mode: Hello everyone, very recently, I updated my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but I wasn't quite convinced, so I decided to switch it back to 8.1. I followed instructions where I was told to write "shutdown /r /o" inside the CMD to reboot in repair...