Windows 10: Windows fails to boot after freezing

Discus and support Windows fails to boot after freezing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Please forgive any errors this is my first post here. Hello my desktop ssd recently froze. Nothing out of the ordinary it happens from time to time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Maxwellingham III, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Windows fails to boot after freezing

Please forgive any errors this is my first post here.

Hello my desktop ssd recently froze. Nothing out of the ordinary it happens from time to time. When I restarted it failed to boot. I read up and I believe it it is an 0xc0000098 error. When I tried bcdbackup it also failed giving me an error that said "the volume was externally altered so that the opened file is no longer valid" then I tried rebuild bcd. The scan came back with zero identifiable windows installations. I'm at a compete loss

I didn't make any changes recently or update windows.

I haven't made a backup

I used the media creation tool to make an iso file on a USB which is how I got the 0xc0000098 error

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

:)

Maxwellingham III, Jul 11, 2019

2. Windows boots to the desktop then freezes

Yeah...I went to google and got the F8...lol*Stick Out Tongue Windows fails to boot after freezing :p....thxxx

It boots up in safe mode and seems to work fine. Now I just need to figure out what's causing windows to freeze up befor it fully loads in normal start up operation.

Any suggestions where I might start ?

dieselcat18, Jul 11, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    Windows 10 freezing at log in

Hello Frank,

A failed update or one-time startup process can sometimes cause stopping, freezing, or reboot-loop issues during the login process. To isolate the issue, we suggest that you answer the following questions:

• Do you have a USB device attached? If yes, can you remove the device and log in again.
    • Have you tried turning off the WiFi feature in your laptop before logging in?
    • How about running a Startup Repair in your Windows 10 laptop? (Boot to Advanced Startup Options>Click on Troubleshoot> Click on Advanced options> Click on Startup Repair)
    • Aside from the above steps, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Looking forward to your response.

Jelo Sen, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Windows fails to boot after freezing

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

Windows fails to boot after freezing

1. Windows fails to boot after freezing - Similar Threads - fails boot freezing

2. Solved: PC fails to boot after freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Solved: PC fails to boot after freeze: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800xGPU: Asus ROG Strix 3070Motherboard: Asus x570-f gamingBoot drive: Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVMEWindows version: Windows 10 up to date forced update with reboot 2 days before the problem startedOther details:Fresh install of Windows 10 in december...
  3. PC fails to boot after freeze

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC fails to boot after freeze: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800xGPU: Asus ROG Strix 3070Motherboard: Asus x570-f gamingBoot drive: Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVMEWindows version: Windows 10 up to date forced update with reboot 2 days before the problem startedOther details:Fresh install of Windows 10 in december...
  4. PC fails to boot after freeze

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC fails to boot after freeze: Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800xGPU: Asus ROG Strix 3070Motherboard: Asus x570-f gamingBoot drive: Samsung 970 pro m.2 NVMEWindows version: Windows 10 up to date forced update with reboot 2 days before the problem startedOther details:Fresh install of Windows 10 in december...
  5. PC fails to boot after freeze

6. pc freezing and failing to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc freezing and failing to boot: hello, i've encountered several issues with my pc lately and i've had the hardest time dealing with them , it started when i upgraded to win11 from win10 few months ago , my pc started freezing during the win11 installation and i had to do it over 8 times until i was lucky...
  7. pc freezing and failing to boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pc freezing and failing to boot: hello, i've encountered several issues with my pc lately and i've had the hardest time dealing with them , it started when i upgraded to win11 from win10 few months ago , my pc started freezing during the win11 installation and i had to do it over 8 times until i was lucky...
  8. pc freezing and failing to boot

9. Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue...

Windows fails to boot after blackscreen/freeze and cannot repair/restore in rescue...: Hi all, Note: I will update this thread as I receive advice and apply tests. I have the following problem, which has occurred before, but continues today on a brand new win10 installation. Problem: Windows freezes, becomes a black screen during use, or cannot see...
  10. windows 10 freezes after boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 freezes after boot: Hello, my laptop keeps freezing after booting up, and doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse commands. I can't enter safe mode since power button is missing from login screen. Is there any other way to enter safe mode or restore windows while it's booting? this problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows failed to boot freezing bsod