Windows 10: Windows fails to complete boot, always drops into Safe mode

Discus and support Windows fails to complete boot, always drops into Safe mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello there, Beware that I am a novice. My computer is a little old and occassionally dodgy but it`s been having some serious "stuck in safe mode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lostish, Aug 26, 2019.

1. lostish Win User

Windows fails to complete boot, always drops into Safe mode

Hello there,
    Beware that I am a novice.

My computer is a little old and occassionally dodgy but it`s been having some serious "stuck in safe mode problems".

It worked fine in Windows 10 but when it updated (from 1709 I think) it only booted to safe mode. Nothing I could find on various forums would fix it so I rolled the build back and it was fine again. That was last year August.

During the safeboot loop the msconfig "general" tab was (and is) checked for normal boot and the "boot" tab did (and does) NOT have safe boot checked.

Since then the update for the builds have not be working. The messages said the "updates weren`t ready for my system". But the computer worked fine so I didn`t sweat it.

I`ve not found viruses (using the Miscrosoft Security Essentials) anywhere, by the bye.

A few days ago the updater tried 1803 which worked but always booted to safe mode. Following Microsoft forums advice I updated again (to 1904) but it also booted to safe mode - with all the checks as above.

Advice to "cleanup the image" via dism.exe did something but no change.
    Advice to use the bcdedit to "/deletevalue {default} safeboot" always leads to "Element not found" message - my bcd list says "default" on the line I was supposed to be looking at.
    Advice to chkdsk also did something but still safeboot.

At last - following random forum advice to others with similar sounding issues - I downloaded and used an ISO of 1904. It worked... I don`t remember it saying anything about repairing. But still safe boot.
    Advice to use the ISO to "repair install" also lead to it still rebooting in safeboot.

Also note that the Dell screen is fine but after the little Dell chimes, when the blue Window icon comes up, the computer goes into safeboot. I`ve been assuming (naively no doubt) that the safe boot is a glitch of some sort but @Tryx3 pointed out it`s likely something else and I`ve been poking around pointlessly trying to fix the symptom.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.
    I`ll try to pass on whatever you need to know to help me sort this out. Most of my computer specs I put into the registration page here but have no idea if they`re visible to you so I`ll post them again if you need them.
    J

:)

lostish, Aug 26, 2019

2. Boot into Safe Mode on Windows 10  

I am stuck in Safe Mode in spite of following all the suggested steps to go back to Normal Startup - Like opening file location of msconfig.exe & running as Administrator. The computer I am trying to get out of safe mode has just been updated from Windows 7.

GreatWhiteNorth, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

Good Evening,
    I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were installed and cleared any pending ones but it still won't boot properly. I have also run the troubleshooter and tried to recovery to an earlier date which also doesn't work.
    The laptop is a HP ENVY 17 notebook. At boot it just gets to the HP logo with the circular loading icon and no further and can only boot it into safe mode. Can anyone recommend the next steps? I have also tried the following;

• stopping startup items
    • uninstalling hardware drivers
    • removing recent software
    • running troubleshooters at boot
    • sfc scan
    • diagnostic/selective startups with minimal services running
    Would the fact that I cant boot into Safe Mode with Networking imply its a network driver related issue?
    Bit of a dead end really, any help would be much appreciated
    Kind regards
    Trevor

trevstonbury, Aug 26, 2019
  4. Tatty_One Win User

No Safe Mode

You can always try booting it up but just before the point that it normally crashes switch off, you may then on next boot get the "windows failed to load properly" message and at that point it should give you the option to boot to safe mode.

Tatty_One, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows fails to complete boot, always drops into Safe mode - Similar Threads - fails complete boot

2. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  3. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking: Have a PC which won’t boot into windows 10. Was working until recently. It hangs on the windows loading screen.I can reboot into safe mode fine but I want to save files to usb as a backup. Many are one OneDrive so won’t allow me to do this. If I boot into safe mode with...
  4. Windows 10 will boot in safe mode but not safe mode with networking

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot in Safe mode

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Boot in Safe mode: I got stuck in safe mode , when i tried to choose any option from troubleshoot it ask me for the password and i am entering the right password it is not accepting my password and its not booting my laptop with network mode , i have done couple of things thatis already on...
  6. Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Safe Mode fails and unable to boot.: While trying to install a new graphics card driver I selected via msconfig to reboot in safe mode. However upon rebooting came up with error : SYSTEM THREAD EXEMPTION NOT HANDLED - mssecflt.sys. Needless to say I used most of the advanced options and still no joy, meaning no...
  7. Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode

Windows fails to boot unless in safe mode: If I try to boot windows out of safe mode when I run something or after some time windows will crash and both my monitors will go black. When I boot in safe mode I do not get this issue. I have tried multiple things to fix this but all have resulted in failure....
  8. Failed to boot into safe mode and USB

Failed to boot into safe mode and USB: Hello, I haven't used my laptop in a few months. I booted it up today and got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (It did not hit the login screen). System Restore, Startup Repair and Go back to previous version all encountered an error and failed. sfc /scannow ended with...
  9. Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK

Windows 10 Fails Regular Boot, Safe Mode boot OK: Hi, I have a desktop Windows 10 x64 machine that's been working fine for months/years. It was automatically updated from Win7 last year. This morning I replaced the 2x4GB DDR3 memory with 2x8GB DDR3. This seemed to work though for some reason it works at 800MHz instead...
  10. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode: In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run...