Windows 10: Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen

Discus and support Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Some time ago, my laptop wanted to perform a Windows feature update. After the update, when I tried to sign in, Windows took me to a black... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AmyC5, Oct 26, 2020.

1. AmyC5 Win User

Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen

Hi,

Some time ago, my laptop wanted to perform a Windows feature update. After the update, when I tried to sign in, Windows took me to a black screen. I could see a cursor and a box in the corner labeled Personalized Settings but nothing else worked. I tried looking up the issue to find a solution, but I couldn't follow any of the suggestions because I couldn't open task manager or anything else. I ended up rebooting into safe mode and removing the latest update and after that my laptop worked fine and I forgot about the failed update attempt.

Fast forward to a couple days ago when my laptop again wanted to restart and update, and I let it do so and then experienced almost the exact same black screen issue. This time, there was no box labeled personalized settings, instead just a black screen with a cursor and an inability to do anything at all except shut my laptop back down. I experienced the black screen issue after signing in, but the sign-in screen itself seemed to be having errors as it displayed only a blue screen rather than the usual backgrounds. I also tried signing in on safe mode but still experience the black screen issue there. In the end, I again removed the most recent feature update in order to use my laptop.

Windows still wants to update, as apparently I am running an older version that's nearing the end of service, showing: Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 as the pending update.

I would like to update Windows so that I can run a more recent version, but I have no idea what has been causing the black screen issue and no idea how to fix it. All the suggestions and possible solutions I have found in researching the issue require me to be able to take steps that are impossible when I have the black screen, as nothing runs or, if it does run, it's not visible to me.

Can anyone provide me insight into what is causing the problem and if there's anything I can do to prevent the issue from occurring again the next time I try to install the update?

Thank you.

:)

AmyC5, Oct 26, 2020

2. KB4497935 CAUSING INFINITE BLACK SCREEN WITH SPINNING CIRCLE

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

Please answer these questions to get additional information for clarity:

1. Are you getting a black screen before signing in to Windows 10?
    2. Are you getting a black or blank screen after signing in to Windows 10?
    3. Are you getting a black screen with spinning dots after restarting the device?

Some of the common scenarios that can cause a black or blank screen to occur are connection problems with your display, display adapter driver update issues, or issues with recent updates or installations.

Suggest you to follow the steps from this article to check if that works.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14106/windows-10-troubleshoot-black-screen-or-blank-screen-errors

Let us know the result of the steps performed so that we can help you further.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Oct 26, 2020
  3. zplugger Win User
    Black Screen after Log on

Computer boots to windows log on,have no password here.After a minute on log on it go to a black screen,stays there forever. I can get to Task Manager from black Screen,lost on what to do next. Just want my Windows 10 back, not sure what caused this problem. Any Suggestion on what my next step should be?*Sad

zplugger, Oct 26, 2020
  4. Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen

updating windows 10 causes black screen

Hi,

I'm Mohammed Shuaib, an Independent Advisor here to work on your issue. As I understand from the description that you're trying to update the windows to the latest version but it struck at startup with a black screen so In this case, I suggest you do the upgrade
    by following the below steps.

To update Windows 10 to feature pack update 2004 manually

Step: 1

Open the link below

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...

Step 2:

Click Update which will download the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant

Step 3:

Run the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant & then click Update now.

Regards

Shuaib

Independent Advisor

MohammedShuaib1986, Oct 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen

1. Windows Feature Update Causes Black Screen - Similar Threads - Feature Update Causes

2. updating windows 10 causes black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    updating windows 10 causes black screen: When I try to update Windows 10 my PC never starts up and I get a black screen, if I move my mouse I can see the pointer and a loading symbol next to it. If I go into Safe Mode I can remove the last update and it fixes it. I have manually updated all my drivers and that still...
  3. Discord Overlay causes BLACK SCREEN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Discord Overlay causes BLACK SCREEN: So I was playing games on my PC and wanted to check on discord messages so I press the Overlay key and it caused a Black Screen , This never happened and my screen is Blacked out. I Tried restarting the PC and the window logo on the startup is gone. the Window booted properly...
  4. Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen

Microsoft latest cumulative update caused black screen: Wednesday 2nd April downloaded KB 4535996 installed and when told do not switch off your PC reached 100% it went into a black screen from blue with white dotted circle whilst loading I have tried everything to return to normal. Contacted Microsoft technician told to contact...
  5. Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest Windows Update Causes Black Screen: Hello, i just got the popup for the latest windows windows update and went ahead to update it. I let it run and update, although when i came back, i was greeted by a grey, blank screen. I assumed it was part of the update procedure, but after 30 mintues, I resorted to...
  6. Update to Windows 10 that causes black screen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Update to Windows 10 that causes black screen: The issue with the update to Windows 10 that causes the screen on my Evoo Laptop, has it been fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-to-windows-10-that-causes-black-screen/3258f535-1f59-4f36-97f6-b60f15ae0290
  7. Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login

Windows 10 update causes black screen before Login: I get a blank screen before login after Windows 10 1903 update. What do I do next (see below for what I have done): Like many, I recently got the ultimatum that I must update my Windows 10 if I want to continue to receive support updates. So I scheduled the update for 2...
  8. Features update causes blue screen on 2 occasion

Features update causes blue screen on 2 occasion: The last 2 features update on 8/15 and 9/13 caused a windows blue screen on restart. By blue screen I mean it said, "Ooops, something went wrong and the system is collecting data." The system seems fine but this occurance is very annoying. Has anyone else experienced this....
  9. Deleted KMDF update causing Black Screen

Deleted KMDF update causing Black Screen: In 2015 I posted a question abput accidently deleting a Sept. 10, 2015 KMDF Update, causing a black screen. I want to post this question again because I gave up back then but now I am ready to tackle this issue again. The computer goes to black screen on start up, I get no...
  10. Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragging / windows update caused black screen of death AGAIN: So this is this 2nd time this has happened after using defraggler (and PC asking for random windows update)! -I defragged my PC during the day for about 5 hours. -I got home, paused and stopped the defragging. -I go to shut-down my PC and get 2 options: 'update and...