Windows 10: Windows Feature Update Failing

Discus and support Windows Feature Update Failing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am on Windows 10 1909 and for the past couple of months my PC has prompted me to restart to update to version 2004. Each time it fails and rolls... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by gravi0774, Dec 19, 2020.

1. gravi0774 Win User

Windows Feature Update Failing

Hi, I am on Windows 10 1909 and for the past couple of months my PC has prompted me to restart to update to version 2004. Each time it fails and rolls back with error 0xC1900101. It is a fairly basic PC build with a graphics card and no other peripherals. I really don't care for the update but it keeps downloading and updating every few weeks. Now Windows Update is asking if I want to download and install 20H2. I don't care if I stay on 1909 as long as I keep getting security updates. What are my options? Can I opt out of feature updates? Try 20H2 instead? Thanks.

:)

gravi0774, Dec 19, 2020
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Dec 19, 2020
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Windows Feature Update Failing

Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows Feature Update Failing

1. Windows Feature Update Failing - Similar Threads - Feature Update Failing

2. Feature update failing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Feature update failing: Using Microsoft endpoint to update our windows 10 machines to 20H2. Have a few machines where the update is failing. Windows updates installs the the update but then fails to complete after restart and roll backs.I have triedRunning the update troubleshooter on the...
  3. Feature update failing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Feature update failing: Using Microsoft endpoint to update our windows 10 machines to 20H2. Have a few machines where the update is failing. Windows updates installs the the update but then fails to complete after restart and roll backs.I have triedRunning the update troubleshooter on the...
  4. Feature update failing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Feature Update Keeps Failing

Windows Feature Update Keeps Failing: I had issues over the last several months of getting the Windows Feature Updates installed on my system. This applies to both the 1903 and 20H2 updates and I receive the following code 0xc1900101 on both updates. I tried to search around for answers and saw one thread...
  6. Windows 10 Feature update fails

Windows 10 Feature update fails: trying to upgrade from Windows 10 version 1909 OS 18363.1556 I get error 0xC1900101-0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase.This may be a driver error. How do I find out what it is?...
  7. Windows Feature 2004 Update Failed

Windows Feature 2004 Update Failed: Matching Profile found: FindFatalPluginFailure - E48E3F1C-26F6-4AFB-859B-BF637DA49636 SetupDiag version: 1.6.0.0 System Information: Machine Name = 1911-W235D Manufacturer = Dell Inc. Model = Precision Tower 3431 HostOSArchitecture = 1033 FirmwareType = UEFI BiosReleaseDate =...
  8. Windows Feature 2004 update Failed

Windows Feature 2004 update Failed: HI, I cannot install the 2004 features update - it gets to about 71% and then encounters and error, gives me a blue screen saying error, then gives me black screen saying undoing changes to PC. It has a stop code error: system thread exception not handled Would really...
  9. Windows feature update to 1903 fails

Windows feature update to 1903 fails: This update will not update on my brand new computer, it also would not update on my last computer. How can I sort this as it constantly tries to download and install it all the time? I don't appear to be the only one who has this issue from one I can see online. On my old...
  10. Feature update to Windows 10 fails

Feature update to Windows 10 fails: Split from this thread. After several attempt by my PC over the last few months to run the update service I followed these instructions ... still no luck. I kid you not, it's been trying since June - I blocked it for a while (by preventing metered download/update and...