Windows 10: Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates

Discus and support Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; About July or August of 2020 the thermal management system in my HP 8550W laptop failed and the graphics card and motherboard were destroyed from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ElectronicM, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates

About July or August of 2020 the thermal management system in my HP 8550W laptop failed and the graphics card and motherboard were destroyed from the overheating. At that point, I gutted the dual-core i5 motherboard out of it and transplanted a quad-core i7 motherboard, CPU and graphics card from another, better optioned, but beaten up HP 8560W that I bought for parts.

After the transplant, everything was working great and several updates installed fine until December when "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909" came out. That update corrupted my hard drive such that repair tools on an install USB were unable to make the OS on the drive bootable again. But, luckily I use some 3rd party software to make backup images of my hard drive occasionally and was able to reimage the drive with an image from before the hardware changes...But that update would still corrupt the drive if allowed to install again.

The following linked thread was started when the issue first showed up: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-with-windows-update-corrupting-hard-drive-and/2d635eaa-8ab8-4c5e-9a6c-f862a0d25307

Since then I tried an experiment that has shed more light on what is happening. I wanted to determine if this might have been a virus pretty sure it isn't instead of a windows issue. Instead of installing the 7-month-old backup image I had been using, I instead installed the oldest Windows 10 image I have from back in 2016 when this first had windows 10 put on it. Then I spent 2 days letting it download updates. I wanted to see if it would corrupt the drive and how it would happen. What happened surprised me.

The 2016 backup image got to a 2-year-old feature update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809" the old i5 processor and motherboard had successfully run this update back then and it caused the i7 motherboard to corrupt the hard drive.

Thus logically, I can only conclude that windows feature updates are corrupting the hard drive because the OS is somehow not properly dealing with the hardware changes.

Ignoring the major problem of updates corrupting the hard drive, Windows runs fine on the new hardware and shows that it is activated.

Can anyone advise on any fixes or help me trouble shoot this deeper? This computer has expensive software on it that I've lost the install keys for so doing a fresh install is not an option...Even if I did it I'd have to go back to the old image with the update issue to have my software, and then I'd be right back where I am currently.

TLDR: I changed my Motherboard, CPU and Graphics to those from a better-optioned laptop of the same model and now all Windows Feature Updates corrupt the hard drive so it won't boot. I copy an old backup image of my hard drive over to fix it, windows tries to install the same update, corrupts the hard drive again and the loop repeats....Please Help me Fix This!

:)

ElectronicM, Jan 31, 2021
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 31, 2021
  3. Windows updates...

Oh. Your "Registry" must have gotten screwed up FLY3R. If for some reason you couldn't download your updates I suppose you could go to the update site, and run throught the steps 'till it fails activation. Then you could go up to "Tools > Manage Add ons > then disable "Windows Genuine Advatage Validation Tool." Of course you should only use this method if you are having problems updating your legitamate copy of Windows XP. Perhaps do to a corrupted piece of software? *Smile Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates :)

Thermopylae_480, Jan 31, 2021
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates

Windows Update suddenly hangs?

Windows Update is suddenly hanging for some reason... I went and downloaded and installed the first bunch of updates, restarted when asked, and now when I go back to windows update I just get the window with a white box forever. Reboot and it still does it. This happens to be on my main machine, running windows 7.

I've also noticed when I reboot it says configuring windows update, step 3 of 3, 47%. Maybe it somehow skipped something and is screwed forever?

Thema:

Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates

1. Windows Feature Updates Corrupting Harddrive in Machine With Recent Hardware Updates - Similar Threads - Feature Updates Corrupting

2. Machine ID change after hardware updates to BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Machine ID change after hardware updates to BIOS: Hello,Whenever there is a hardware/software update to my computer it creates a new machine ID. It seems to only happen when there is an update to the BIOS. Lately it has been every month around the 7-8th of the month.I do not know if it is changing the Device ID or what but...
  3. Machine ID change after hardware updates to BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Machine ID change after hardware updates to BIOS: Hello,Whenever there is a hardware/software update to my computer it creates a new machine ID. It seems to only happen when there is an update to the BIOS. Lately it has been every month around the 7-8th of the month.I do not know if it is changing the Device ID or what but...
  4. Recent Win10 Update Corrupted Memory?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent Win10 Update Corrupted Memory?: I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop running Windows 10 which has not had any issues and has been working fine until a recent Win10 update. It automatically started a Win10 update when it was turned on earlier this week which proceeded successfully, said it was 100% complete and it...
  5. Most recent Windows update corrupted my computer.

Most recent Windows update corrupted my computer.: I recently did the recommended update that took all night. Now my sign on screen comes up and allows me to sign in. Once the sign on is complete my screen picture comes up, but none of the applications show up and you cannot access the settings. I took it to the local...
  6. Windows update problems corrupting machines

Windows update problems corrupting machines: What are the Microsoft programmers thinking? Can't complete update because the update service is shutting down. What kind of nonsense is this? So far, two of my machines are corrupted....
  7. Latest Windows 10 update corrupted machine

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest Windows 10 update corrupted machine: We did latest update on Tuesday night. When I tried to start computer yesterday, it started with "Preparing Automatic Repair" but it could not auto repair. I've tried many of the options that the diagnostic tools present, but nothing happens no backup or restore point. I’ve...
  8. Win 10 Update corrupted my harddrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 Update corrupted my harddrive: Hi I spent hours on the phone with a pro-service rep from Dell. We tried every fix & nothing worked finally he said the hard drive is toast & they mailed me one but I was told they could not help me with the transfers. Yesterday I replaced the hard drive it came from Dell,...
  9. Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Defer Feature Updates Blanked out After Recent Update?: I have Windows 10 Pro. I noticed the box 'Defer feature updates' is now greyed out after this week's update - see my screenshot. Is this a bug and how do I restore the functionality since I want to be in control of when major updates are installed? [img] 79567
  10. Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?: My external harddrive is relatively new; no more than 2 years. It has been failing to be recognized my my PC and getting an I/O error when in Safe Mode. When not in safe mode, it just stops being recognized by my PC. Explorer also has it labeled as a 7.27TB harddrive when...