Windows 10: Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

Discus and support Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan) in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Please look at the following picture: [img] Most of the folders that I work with on a regular basis contain files like this. However, as you can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JohnTravolski, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

Please look at the following picture:

Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan) [​IMG]

Most of the folders that I work with on a regular basis contain files like this. However, as you can see, I usually sort all of my files by "type" in Windows 10 File Explorer so that it's easier for me to separate my files. However, I prefer it when even different types of files come in a certain order. As you can see, some of file types have already been modified in such a way. I have all of my Adobe Projects grouped together with 1), my audio files grouped with 2), my video files with 4), and so on. However, you may be wondering how I did this.

Well, I used this great program called "FileTypesMan," but it seems VERY outdated. And, unfortunately, it doesn't work for ALL file types. When I try to use the program to edit the "Type" of my PNG files to say "3) PNG Picture", it still always ends up as simply saying "PNG File," as can be seen in the picture above. I have the same issue with both .jpg and .jpeg files. I haven't bothered with XMP files yet, so ignore that.

Anyway, my question is this; is there any easier way to edit the "Type" of file for extensions? Is there a better program for Windows 10 than FileTypesMan? I've tried various registry edits but none of them seem to fix the problem even after I restart File Explorer.​ I just don't know what to do.

:)

JohnTravolski, Aug 5, 2016

2. How do I clear a program that a certain type of file opens by default?

Hi Hyun,

You can only "change" the association using the user interface, but no option is provided to remove it. However, you can edit the registry manually to remove file type associations. This guide can help. How to Remove a File Association Using the Registry
    Editor? » Winhelponline :
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/remove-file-association-windows/

Or you may use FileTypesMan to do the job. FileTypesMan - Alternative to 'File Types' manager of Windows :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 5, 2016
  3. Remove play options from File Manager

I can't make out from your screenshot which file types are displaying this context menu item. Suppose you're seeing it for MP4s, download and run NirSoft's

FileTypesMan
    and select .mp4 from the file types list in the top pane:

As you can see above the bottom pane will then display associated actions for the selected file type. If you see the entry corresponding to PowerDVD, just delete it.

RobertJWin, Aug 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

Hi, you could try Gunners File Type Editor. But FileTypesMan is more comprehensive.

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. I tried it but it has the same problem; it won't work with PNG, JPG, or JPEG files for some reason. The "type" text never changes and I'm not sure why.

JohnTravolski, Aug 5, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Have you tried simply rt clicking the column header, adding 'File Extension' and sorting by that?

Noted that for (e.g.) jpg files, by default
    in explorer Type = jpg file
    in filetypesman = jpeg file, JPEG image

whereas for
    ico and ani files the Description in filetypesman corresponds with that shown in explorer.

Suggests that shown for some file types is hard coded in Windows?

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  7. Yes, I can do it that way, but as I mentioned earlier:
    "However, I prefer it when even different types of files come in a certain order."
    I prefer all of my adobe projects to be together, my audio files, etc. and sorting by file extension will simply order them in alphabetical order, which will separate many of them. That's my whole concern here.

JohnTravolski, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan)

1. Windows File Associations "Types" (FileTypesMan) - Similar Threads - File Associations Types

2. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  3. Adding a file type for file association with IDLE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adding a file type for file association with IDLE: How can I add a file type to associate a file type with IDLE from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** on Windows 11.I wish to associate .py with idle. I cannot find either the program or the file type in the settings panels.Dave...
  4. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  5. File Type Associations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Type Associations: HELP!... Is it possible to Associate ALL file types a specific program can open without having to do it one at a time? As example Corel Paintshop Pro. How can you associate all files it can handle with one click? Use to be able to do it from the program itself but that no...
  6. default file type association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file type association: hi, I am using windows 10 home version 2004 on HP laptop. so, unfortunately I set the .srt file to open with ''notepad'' as default. but I want to revert this and to set it to unknown file type as it was before. so, how can I do this? restore previous version is greyed out....
  7. File type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    File type association: I accidentally assigned a .laz extension to be opened automatically with Adobe. When I try to go to the default settings to remove the association I only get the option of associating with another app. How can I remove this entirely or restore it back to were I get a prompt...
  8. Associating applications with file types

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Associating applications with file types: I have two applications that will open a particular file type- an older and a newer application. Files tend to open with the older, less useful application; to get the newer app with the better functionality I need to Right-click the file and select "Open With" from the...
  9. File type associated with App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File type associated with App: I recently installed Office 365 on my NB running Windows 10 Home. Upon successful installation, I uninstalled my Office 2007 from the NB. Nightmare occurred - I could not double click the selected file and open it with the App. Instead, I have to open the App first and...
  10. Default file type association

in Windows 10 Customization
    Default file type association: Hi! On Win 10 I want to change default file extension association to an exe file, but the system doesn't allow it. It happens with other extensions and programs too, but now specifically I wanted to associate the standalone version of flash player to .swf extension. It...