Windows 10: Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10

Discus and support Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Two days ago, my computer started crashing. After a couple of iterations, I realized it was happening if I opened File Explorer. Going online, I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by StebbinsGeorge, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10

Two days ago, my computer started crashing. After a couple of iterations, I realized it was happening if I opened File Explorer. Going online, I did the suggested fixes and it seemed to work again. Today, it is broken yet one more time. None of the fixes work now.

I have changed Explorer settings to launch each window in a separate process

I have run the command prompt (admin) and used: netsh winsock reset

I have cleared file explorer history

I have run the comand prompt (admin) and used: sfc /scannow

I am in the process of running chkdsk /r (But it requires me to do it at reboot, so I'll report as soon as it comes back up)

HELP!!!

:)

StebbinsGeorge, Nov 5, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Harvy Win User
    Windows explorer crashing

Hi,

I am having the same problem as the OP in this thread.
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer..

I have tried the fixes listed in the above thread and I am getting the same error message as 'ktadie' (post 16). I think this is because I am running Windows 7 Professional. Windows explorer crashes when I open my 'Films' folder on my brand new 2tb external HDD. I have about 300 .avi files in this folder and some of the .avi files are several years old.

In short I believe I need the same fix given by 'Wile E' (post 7) but updated for Windows 7 Professional.

Thanks in advance.

Harvy, Nov 5, 2018
  4. geno368 Win User

Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10

Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10

1. Windows file explorer crashes my computer (Surface Pro 2), windows 10 - Similar Threads - file explorer crashes

2. Windows 11 File Explorer Crashes pt.2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Crashes pt.2: pt.1 -> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-file-explorer-crash/1fbf1ff0-cba4-4af4-a872-56e8a6ef771dHi guys, the same problem like in the first pt. but, today i give you a small experience of this strange bug about Windows Explorer glitch with...
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Crashes pt.2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Crashes pt.2: pt.1 -> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-file-explorer-crash/1fbf1ff0-cba4-4af4-a872-56e8a6ef771dHi guys, the same problem like in the first pt. but, today i give you a small experience of this strange bug about Windows Explorer glitch with...
  4. file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10: file explorer or windows explorer crashing on windows 10.I work at a MSP and file explore crashes or reset when you try to copy or paste or create a short cut. Its only happening at one of the companies that we support and not the others....
  5. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now File Explorer Crashes: I upgraded a MSI notebook computer 2019 model year, Intel Core i5 from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. Since I upgraded, I cannot use File Explorer. If I open File Explorer and click on "This PC", File Explorer crashes. Clicking on "One Drive" works, clicking on...
  6. WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 update crashed my Surface Pro: Ive read some of the suggestions given on how to reset a Surface Pro that has crashed from the Windows 10 update. The advice usually includes instruction from a screen with the Windows logo and the spinning dots. When I turn my computer on, the screen is black with the...
  7. windows 10 for Surface Pro 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 for Surface Pro 2: Where can I get and download windows 10 for my Surface Pro 2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-for-surface-pro-2/b7c8b527-61c5-4bb1-9120-118dd0eaa826
  8. Surface Pro 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Pro 2: Just bought a second hand Surface Pro 2 which replaces my pathetic acer aspire. (from a electronic buy sell store) and its brilliant. Pen and keyboard inclusive. 2 year warranty Q: Pen and touch is active but what software do I need to 'write' on the screen. I have looked at...
  9. Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface pro 2 crashing BSOD: Hi, dont know if this was opened somewhere else already or not. We bought 4 machines, all of them crash with BSOD only if they are unplugged - not being charged. As soon as you run any of the office apps and create a new spreadsheet/workbook error msg is:...
  10. Touch Issue (Problem) with my Surface Pro 2 in Windows 10 Pro 1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touch Issue (Problem) with my Surface Pro 2 in Windows 10 Pro 1709: Hi friends, I love my old but good devices Surface Pro 2. *Sad But sometimes, i cant use when unplugged. Because my touch input doesnt work when i use surface pen. Interesting thing is that! if i plug in charger it works again.I need to carry charger with me if i need use...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer crashing surface pro

2. file explorer is alway crashing surface pro

3. file explorer hangs surface pro

4. file explorer crashing computer,
  5. my file explorer crashes my computer,
  6. surface pro file explorer crashing,
  7. expedia crashes my-explorer on my surface pro