Windows 10: Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files

Discus and support Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I am facing this issue for more than a month on windows 10. Windows explorer hangs not responding whenever I click on an excel or powerpoint file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KrishnanunnyMangalasseri, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files

Hi

I am facing this issue for more than a month on windows 10. Windows explorer hangs not responding whenever I click on an excel or powerpoint file. And the files are not opening as well. The issue was there for word as well, but today when I updated the video drivers word is working fine, but the issue persists for excel and ppt files. Both the file formats open if I open the application open first excel/powerpoint and then open the file from the menu.Implying the files are not corrupted as such. Please help as every time I try to open any excel/power point file from the folders, the laptop just hangs and it's quite disturbing

Thanks

Krishnanunny

:)

KrishnanunnyMangalasseri, Jul 31, 2020

2. excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same

time, the explorer file list jumps up and down as it lists and de-lists the

excel temp file. It is very distracting. I can close the explorer window or

simply change to another folder. It occurs only on one of my computers and only on some excel files

It happens only with excel files and not with word or acrobat

Any suggestions where to look for the problem. We've reinstalled Office 10 and reset my windows profile. nothing helped so far.

Joel Trussell, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Explorer hangs for a second when right clicking empty space

Are you talking windows explorer or internet explorer?

First thought, some sort of timeout problem. Explorer is trying to connect to something that isn't there or not responding.

Edit: I just saw this... so windows explorer:

I've seen similar behavior in Excel when a network printer (that was the default) wasn't available, Excel would hang for a second on just about every click. Solution was to change the default printer to PDF or something local. I'm only saying that because something analogous could be happening in your case.

Edit2:

Read this: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/slowrightclick.htm

Sasqui, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files

Windows explorer hangs when trying to open a word or excel file

HI Team

I am facing a problem while trying to open an excel file or word document from windows explorer. If I try to double click/press enter after selecting the file name, windows explorer doesn't respond. I have to forcefully close it.

Steps followed Open windows explorer --> browse to the file location (excel/word) --> Try to open by double clicking/pressing enter. Windows explorer hangs and doesn't respond.

The same file opens without out any issue if I go through Open Excel/Word --> File --> Open --> Browse to the location --> Click open and the file opens. I am using windows 10

Issue started almost a month back

Please help

Thanks

Unny

Krishnanunny, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files

1. Windows file explorer gets hang after clicking on excel or ppt files - Similar Threads - file explorer gets

2. File Explore hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explore hangs: Hi, since today, my File Explorer hangs whenever I select Download folder. The other folders are fine. My Windows 11 update is latest. I need to end the task in Task Manager. How might I resolve this probem?...
  3. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  4. File Explorer Hangs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Hangs: ***Please Read to the End*** There are a lot of fixes I have already tried. I am looking for New Ideas***I have a problem with file explorer hanging. Basically, it won't access any of my files. It will look like it's loading and then not actually load up any of the files....
  5. MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS 365 files (Word, Excel, PPT) no thumbnails in Windows Explorer: I installed MS 365 a few weeks ago and have recently noticed that its files are not showing thumbnails when looking at them in Windows Explorer. All files are saved in the latest format, e.g. docx, xlxx, pptx. This is whether viewed as large, medium or small icons. For a...
  6. Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Right-clicking on a WAV file will hang Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976417/high-cpu-usage-in-the-explorer-exe-process-when-you-open-a-folder-that This problem was allegedly fixed with Windows 10, but that's not the case on my machine. Explorer will hang mf.dll when trying to read metadata on a .wav...
  7. File Explorer HANGING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer HANGING: Everytime I try to OPEN a file in FILE EXPLORER, it just HANGS, NOT RESPONDING.... Doesn't matter what kind of file whether PPT, TXT, doesn't matter... I have to END the TASK and it closes out entire FILE EXPLORER window. ANY Ideas? Was it any WINDOWS update? DID not...
  8. File Explorer hanging

File Explorer hanging: Hi All, Have a customer that has new Win 10 machines (i7, 16GB, 512SSD) on 2 of the machines File Explorer is hanging frequently. Have does the usual stuff to set it to My Pc rather that Quick Access, cleared cahe etc but still does it. Quick fix is a script to kill...
  9. Right click hangs for File Explorer

Right click hangs for File Explorer: I have an issue that just started, and I could use some help. I want to format a hard drive, but when I ues File Explorer and right click on it to do this, I just get " not responding" Can anyone help me to fix this please? Thank you...
  10. Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file

Windows explorer hangs in CPU-intensive loop when left-clicking or right-clicking an Excel file: Running Windows 10 version 1809. I have a frequently-updated spreadsheet on my desktop (C:\Users\<me>\Desktop). When I double-click the desktop link Excel opens the spreadsheet. When I right-click the desktop link a context menu appears, and I can open the spreadsheet or...