Windows 10: Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

Discus and support Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So, in Windows File Explorer I went to View/Options/Change folder and search options then clicked Restore Defaults on all three tabs: General, view,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MichelleZhang3, May 22, 2021.

1. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

So, in Windows File Explorer I went to View/Options/Change folder and search options then clicked Restore Defaults on all three tabs: General, view, and search because of a whole other issue that I fixed later and has nothing to do with my current issue.BUT by clicking "restore defaults" in the tabs I messed up the Window

:)

MichelleZhang3, May 22, 2021

2. Index search in File Explorer

Hello,

I suggest you to try the below step to see if it resolves the issue.

If the index can't find a file that you know exists in an indexed location, you might need to rebuild the index. Rebuilding the index can take several hours, and searches might be incomplete until the index is fully rebuilt.

1. Open Indexing Options by clicking the
    Start button
    and then clicking Control Panel. In the
    search box
    , type indexing options, and then click
    Indexing Options

2. Click Advanced. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the
    Index Settings tab
    , and then click Rebuild. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Reference:

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support.

Windows help & learning - Microsoft Support.

Hope this helps to resolve the issue. Please revert for any clarification on this or any Windows issue. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, May 22, 2021
  3. Indexing Won't Rebuild

Hi ShiraAbraham, Here are some troubleshooting steps to help you, please let me know if you have tried this already

-Press Windows key + I and open Update & Security.

-Select Troubleshoot and find Search and Indexing.

-Double-click on the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to run it.

Wait for the scan to be completed.

If these steps did not help to fix “Search Indexing Was Turned Off” error, our last recommendation would be to rebuild the Search Indexing:

-Open Windows Search and type Indexing Options.

-Click on the first matching option to open it.

-Click Advanced and open Advanced Options.

-Select Rebuild and white while indexing will be rebuild from scratch.

JeremyCountings, May 22, 2021
  4. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

Windows Search - Indexed Locations wrong

Kindly check the troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1:

• Right-click D: drive on File Explorer.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click General tab.
    • Check if Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties has a check on it.
    Method 2:

• Type Indexing Options in the search bar.
    • Click Indexing Options.
    • On the pop-up window, click Advanced.
    • On Index Settings tab, under Troubleshooting, click
      Rebuild.
    • A pop-up saying Rebuilding the index might take a long time to complete. Some views and search results might be incomplete until rebuilding is finished will appear.
    • Click OK, and Rebuild will be in progress.
    • When Rebuild is finished, click Close, and
      reboot
      your PC.
    Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, May 22, 2021
Thema:

Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results

1. Windows File Explorer Indexing; Index Rebuild for better search results - Similar Threads - File Explorer Indexing

2. Windows Search Index rebuild time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index rebuild time: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer was taking up unusually high CPU and power output on my windows 11 laptop. On an online forum, I read that if restarting the service doesn't work the best way is to rebuild the entire index.Now it's been almost 3 days since the search index...
  3. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  4. How to rebuild search index.

How to rebuild search index.: A while ago I deleted the search index in hopes that it would make folders contents load faster. It didn't, so I want to rebuild the index so that I can use the search feature. When I open the Indexing options, nothing is listed under Included Locations at all...
  5. How to rebuild search index.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. rebuilding index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  7. rebuilding index

rebuilding index: my windows search bar is not allowing me to type it also will not let me type into the search ber in file explorer. looked up some youtube videos and followed all the methods and none of them were working and i came across rebuilding the index and it is for some reason paused...
  8. No Index Results After Windows Update and a Rebuild of the Index

in Cortana
    No Index Results After Windows Update and a Rebuild of the Index: After the most recent Windows update done on 12 August 2020, Windows Indexing doesn't work--it produces no results for any search word or search string. Even after going through the "rebuild" process there are no results. The lncluded Locations remain the same as before,...
  9. Windows searching through file explorer not working and search index rebuilding...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows searching through file explorer not working and search index rebuilding...: This issue has been plaguing me for over a year now and I can't seem to find a working solution. Before this problem occurred, I was able to search for my files/documents through the search bar in a file explorer window like any normal person. After noticing some of my newer...
  10. Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10: How to: Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 How to Reset and Rebuild Search Index in Windows 10 By default, Windows will use the file properties, and file contents you want indexed. The index uses the Windows Search service and runs as the Searchindexer.exe process in...