Windows 10: Windows File Explorer is Freezing up

Discus and support Windows File Explorer is Freezing up in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File Explorer freezes up when trying to access my working file from my USB stick. It started happening about a month now. I use a batch file to reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndersonPremdas, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Windows File Explorer is Freezing up

File Explorer freezes up when trying to access my working file from my USB stick. It started happening about a month now. I use a batch file to reset File Explorer, but the problem crops up after using explorer for a short while.

I'm getting very annoyed with happening time and time again. It really interrupts my work flow. Is there any fix for this happening?

Thank you,

Anderson

:)

AndersonPremdas, Sep 12, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 12, 2019
  3. File Explorer freezes when hovering the cursor over the "create" section.

Hi Alex,

To better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Did you make any changes prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages after File Explorer freezes?
    • What troubleshooting have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest you restart Windows Explorer by following the steps below:

• Type Task Manager in search bar.
    • Click Task Manager.
    • On the pop-up window, under Windows processes, scroll-down to
      Windows Explorer.
    • Right-click Windows Explorer, and click Restart.
    We look forward to your response.

Thank you.

Kenneth Mon, Sep 12, 2019
  4. Erika Aro Win User

Windows File Explorer is Freezing up

window file explorer freezes while black strip comes above the explorer window

Hi Sunny,

Windows Explorer freezes may be due to third-party programs or virus infection. As an initial troubleshooting step, temporarily disable your antivirus programs. After that, replicate the issue if it will freeze. You can enable your antivirus program after
    we troubleshoot.

If the issue persists, you can try refreshing/restarting Windows Explorer by following these steps:

• Open Task Manager by typing it in the Cortana search bar, then press Enter.
    • Look for Windows Explorer, then right-click it and select End task.
    • The taskbar will disappear at the bottom of your screen.
    • On the Task Manager, look for any installed application like your browser.
    • Right-click it and select the Open file location. A new window will appear.
    • Click the File tab and select Open Windows Powershell, then select Open Windows Powershell as administrator.
    • Type in explorer.exe and press Enter.

It should put the taskbar back at the bottom of your screen. Check if it will freeze again.

Keep us posted after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Erika Aro, Sep 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows File Explorer is Freezing up

1. Windows File Explorer is Freezing up - Similar Threads - File Explorer Freezing

2. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  3. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer freezing: HelloI have an issue with my File Explorer.Every time I download a file and then try to immediately use it as an attachment, it either completely freezes or crashes.Sometimes it even forces me to do a restart.Please kindly advise.Thank you....
  4. File explorer constantly freezing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer constantly freezing up: Hi, Is there anyone anywhere in this world that can fix explorer from freezing up & not responding? Also I've noticed lots of times just in the last 2 or 3 days that my external hard drives, I have several all, no longer are listed by name only by the drive letter, it used to...
  5. File explorer constantly freezing up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer constantly freezing up: Hi, Is there anyone anywhere in this world that can fix explorer from freezing up & not responding? Also I've noticed lots of times just in the last 2 or 3 days that my external hard drives, I have several all, no longer are listed by name only by the drive letter, it used to...
  6. File explorer constantly freezing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows Explorer Freezes up when copying a file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Freezes up when copying a file: Whenever I try to copy a file over from an SSD to my Hard Drive, File Explorer freezes up and restarts. The link to this video is https://streamable.com/o88gmm submitted by /u/DuxOfTech [link] [comments]...
  8. File explorer freezing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer freezing: I have two machines one with Windows 10 Home the other with 10Pro, both are on build 19041.45 They have different security software and different applications but share the same recently introduced problem. File explorer freezes. I have tried most of the fixes that I find...
  9. file explorer freezes up in google on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer freezes up in google on windows 10: When on google chrome with windows 10 and in my yahoo small business email, I can't seem to attach a power point file I've made. I can open the file when not trying to attach. Any ideas?...
  10. file explorer freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    file explorer freeze: My File Explorer keeps freezing up. Can't move files, rename files, or even delete them without having it freeze up. Three month old computer and it hasn't worked correctly from the beginning. I have tried everything on the web it would seem but with no luck My system...