Windows 10: Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames

Discus and support Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is pissing me off! Has been for years now. How can MS still not have a file explorer use the extended API functions so it can actually work with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by loungebob, Dec 1, 2020.

1. loungebob Win User

Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames

This is pissing me off! Has been for years now. How can MS still not have a file explorer use the extended API functions so it can actually work with long file names and paths?
    My classical music collection alone requires that.

Does anyone know of a good windows file explorer alternative (paid/free dont care) that handles long file names and paths properly and has a dark mode/theme?

All my scripts and renamer work just fine but try opening or editing a file thats above the windows file explorer (or 32bit api) limit and nada happens. just sad microsoft. so very sad.

:)

loungebob, Dec 1, 2020
  2. ETali Win User

Is there a way to make long path and filenames not be a problem in Windows?

I sometimes have a library of files stored in a lengthy folder path. The problem arises when the filename is also long.

It's as if the file does not exist even though it is physically there.

I can't move these files from search results to another folder. Other programs have difficulty also recognizing these files.

The only thing I can do is go into its physical location. From there I can open the file and move it to another folder.

Even 'open file location' from the right click menu does not work.

Is there any fix for long path / filename problems in Windows?

If it were just a few files like this I would manually fix them, but there are many due to automatic storage from a web-based file download service.

Thank you

ETali, Dec 1, 2020
  3. ETali Win User
    Is there a way to make long path and filenames not be a problem in Windows?

This is the correct location on my machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem

only problem is LongPathEnabled was already set to "1". Does not help with the long file path / filename issues I'm seeing.

Are there any other solutions to look at?

ETali, Dec 1, 2020
  4. kharrisma Win User

Can't delete several files... filename incorrect or too long.

Hey Forum Folke,

I have five files and one (empty) folder that simply will not delete, nor can I rename them or perform any operation of any kind on them. Any attempt to do anything to these files yields the message, "The file name you specified is incorrect or too long.
    Specify a different file name." I can access 'properties,' and have unchecked the "Read Only" box, but that made no difference in being able to do anything with these files. Regular "delete" does not work, "shift+delete" doesn't work, nor does dragging &
    dropping in the recycle bin. I'm not aware of any other methods to delete a file.

I've tried MS Process explorer to see if these files are in use somehow, but the search turns up nothing... beside, if they were in use, the error message I'd get when trying to delete them would say so, would it not?

The (empty) folder gives me this error: "Path/filename is not accessible. The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." "Path/filename" is not what the message shows; it shows the actual path and filename of this file, or folder,
    actually.

Any suggestions on how to make these things go away once and for all?

kharrisma, Dec 1, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows File Explorer long paths/filenames - Similar Threads - File Explorer long

2. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer: Hi Everyone,Is enabling log file path possible? I have set LongPathsEnabled in the registry to 1 and also enabled it in Local Group Policy Editor Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem.The instructions in...
  3. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer: Hi Everyone,Is enabling log file path possible? I have set LongPathsEnabled in the registry to 1 and also enabled it in Local Group Policy Editor Administrative Templates > System > Filesystem.The instructions in...
  4. How to Enable Long File Paths on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  6. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer: Hi,I'm sorry to write this.Half of the world suffers from it for many years:LONG PATH DOES NOT WORK IN Windows 10 File Explorer"Microsoft Windows has a MAX_PATH limit of ~256 characters. If the length of the path and filename combined exceed ~256 characters you will be able...
  7. LONG PATH ISSUE in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search

in Cortana
    Unable to rename long filenames from Windows File Explorer Search: When making a search from Windows File Explorer, any files in the result with sufficiently long file paths cannot be renamed from the search result. However when navigating to the file location and renaming from there, one is able to change the file name.This seems like a bug...
  9. Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling Long Path to Allow Files with Long Names in Windows 10 File Explorer: I’ve done the fixes suggested by the Microsoft Community: Setting the registry key Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled Type: REG_DWORD to 1 Adding Enable Win32 long paths in the Local Computer Policy: Computer...
  10. Is there a way to make long path and filenames not be a problem in Windows?

Is there a way to make long path and filenames not be a problem in Windows?: I sometimes have a library of files stored in a lengthy folder path. The problem arises when the filename is also long. It's as if the file does not exist even though it is physically there. I can't move these files from search results to another folder. Other programs...