Windows 10: Windows File Explorer Problem

Discus and support Windows File Explorer Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows File Explorer has 5 columns (in my arrangement). The first (left-hand) column contains major headings (such as drive letters, Quick Access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Walter Seaton, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Windows File Explorer Problem

Windows File Explorer has 5 columns (in my arrangement). The first (left-hand) column contains major headings (such as drive letters, Quick Access etc.), the column to its right has the title "Name" and the other columns are to the right of that.

Quite suddenly and apparently without reason when I right-click an entry in the first column to get the drop-down window with "Open" at the top and "Properties" on the bottom (for example if I want to rename an entry) Windows File Explorer shuts down; there is also a minor change to the way Outlook is displayed if it is open at the same time. If instead I display the same entry in the name column and right-click on it, I get the drop-down window I expect and am able to rename the entry. What has gone wrong and how can I fix this? Many thanks.

:)

Walter Seaton, Jan 7, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 7, 2019
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jan 7, 2019
  4. Frick Win User

Windows File Explorer Problem

Windows Explorer Replacement?

I don't use Internet Explorer, I meant the thing where you can look at files etc. Hotkey Windows+E. Maybe it's the wrong name in english though. *Stick Out Tongue Windows File Explorer Problem :p

Frick, Jan 7, 2019
Thema:

Windows File Explorer Problem

1. Windows File Explorer Problem - Similar Threads - File Explorer Problem

2. File explorer problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer problem: Why caution mark show in my C drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-problem/83f20a03-abd5-484b-bc6b-8db8a9413946
  3. Problem with file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with file explorer: File explorer constantly crashes on right click https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-with-file-explorer/db230838-4547-4344-a934-7d0b4cf4ffc6
  4. File Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer problem: So lately, ive been having this problem where in file explorer, when i hover my mouse over folders or tabs , the font disappears and it becomes a blank folder or tab until i stop hovering, this is causing me trouble because i cant see basically any font or words . Anyone got...
  5. File explorer problems

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer problems: Hello, File explorer is no longer working properly. It has always been fine on this PC until latest update [March 9, 2021KB5000802 (OS Builds 19041.867 and 19042.867)] or [KB4589212: Intel microcode updates for Windows 10, version 2004 and 20H2, and Windows Server, version...
  6. File Explorer problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer problem: Hello when I scroll down in my file explorer it scrolls down extremely slow even though everywhere else my scrolling experience is normal. Also as you can see in the video the icons seem to glitch as I am scrolling down. Anyone know how I could fix this? submitted by...
  7. Problems with File Explore

Problems with File Explore: Since Microsoft reistalled Windows 10, I can no longer share pictures File Explore,because Messanger does not appear under sharing. I always shared from File Explorer to Messanger, because my 80 year old mother doesn't like getting pictures to her mail. She rather get them...
  8. Problem with Windows file explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with Windows file explorer?: I have my resume in PDF format, saved to This PC/My documents. When I try to attach my resume to an email (I click on one icon and press open), the entire folder of icons gets attached and sent to recipient. Microsoft support seems stumped as they never gave me an answer to...
  9. File Explorer Problems

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer Problems: Hi, I have a problem with the windows file explorer. when I try to save images or videos from the web the file explorer box will not appear or when extracting files in parts the box will not appear also. it happens early this week if anyone could help i would be thankful....
  10. Problem with File Explorer

Problem with File Explorer: My Dell XPS, running Windows 10 Home, no longer has a D: drive, but when I click on Documents in This PC it tries to find the missing drive. More of an annoyance than a problem, but I can't seem to get File Explorer to change in the Properties tab. It keeps insisting on...