Windows 10: Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

Discus and support Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BitEngineer, May 15, 2023.

1. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO Notepad.exe "%i"This command will open each file containing the search argument with Notepad. Of course, it will only work if the target files contain plain text.Change "string-to-be-searched" to your desired search argument. You can use regular expressions by specifying the /R switch on the FINDSTR command. See Microsoft

:)

BitEngineer, May 15, 2023

2. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See
    the video below for an example. Even when there is obviously a file right there visible in the folder when I type the start of the filename in the search box it doesn't show it at all.

Untitled: Nov 23, 2019 2:39 PM.webm

What I have done so far:

I went through some steps found in other posts and checked to make sure that services.msc had the Windows Search running (you will see me check this in the video linked above).

Ran the troubleshooter as suggested in another post but it said that no problems were found.

How can I get this fixed?

ChadCriswell, May 15, 2023
  3. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, May 15, 2023
  4. Matt_316 Win User

Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

Searching Within Files

I have tried searching within files in Windows 10 for a string. However, through testing, it seems that when the string being searched for does not have a space in front, it ignores it. E.g. if the text in the file is 'The quick brown fox' and I search
    for 'quick', it will list the file. But if the search string is 'ick', then the file will not be listed despite the text obviously being there. Any suggestions?

Matt

Matt_316, May 15, 2023
Thema:

Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

1. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. File Explorer not finding text in PRG files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer not finding text in PRG files: I create a file in a folder named test.txtI enter the text Prodigy and save.I create another file in the same folder named test.prgI enter the text Prodigy and save.I open File Explorer and enter the test Prodigy in the search box.It finds the test.txt file but does NOT find...
  3. File Explorer not finding text in PRG files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer not finding text in PRG files: I create a file in a folder named test.txtI enter the text Prodigy and save.I create another file in the same folder named test.prgI enter the text Prodigy and save.I open File Explorer and enter the test Prodigy in the search box.It finds the test.txt file but does NOT find...
  4. File Explorer not finding text in PRG files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  6. Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Explorer search not finding text in files that is obviously there: After looking at the numerous inquiries about how to make this work and being unsuccessful, and not wanting to waste a lot of time trying to make it work, I resorted to using the following MS-DOS command:FOR /F %i IN 'FINDSTR /M "string-to-be-searched" *.txt *.tmp' DO...
  7. file explorer couldn't find text in a pure text .v file

file explorer couldn't find text in a pure text .v file: Dear Support/Expert, this is not a joke, I should ask this question to Microsoft, but don't know how. while I am working on a Quartus project, there a lot of .v files, and I want find a variable in all the files, so I use win10 file explorer, in this case, a variable...
  8. search file explorer for text inside of a spreadsheet

search file explorer for text inside of a spreadsheet: I have a folder which contains spreadsheets from my vendor. Each one has a list of invoices for a period of time. I'm trying to search the folder using file explorer for a specific invoice number but there are no search results. To rule out the possibility that the record...
  9. File Explore Search not working for finding files by content

File Explore Search not working for finding files by content: I have a directory that when I use the File Explorer search, it will not find files by its content even though I know that some files in the directory or subdirectory do contain the given search string. This is quite a common problem and I seem dozens of posted solutions,...
  10. File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there

File explorer search not finding files that are obviously there: When in the file explorer normally I can find files easily by doing control-F then typing in a few letters or if looking for a specific type using type:.zip for example. On my new Windows 10 machine (purchased just a few weeks ago) this doesn't work. See the video below for...