Windows 10: Windows File Explorer search problems

Discus and support Windows File Explorer search problems in Cortana to solve the problem; Since the November update (1909) there are several problems with searching in the Windows File Explorer (I don't mean the taskbar search). First, I... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by ehalill, Dec 2, 2019.

1. ehalill Win User

Windows File Explorer search problems

Since the November update (1909) there are several problems with searching in the Windows File Explorer (I don't mean the taskbar search). First, I can't see what I'm typing in the tiny search bar. And not because my eyesight is bad, but because the text I'm typing isn't visible. I just see my search history while I'm typing. That means if I make a mistake or a typo creeps in, I'll not be able to see it and correct it, but have to start over. The person who designed the search to work that way must be brain dead.Windows File Explorer search problems :(

Second, the search bar in the File Explorer freezes after multiple searches. Constantly. I have to restart the Windows Explorer every time to get it going again. I've restarted the search service, ran the troubleshooter... nothing helps. It still freezes.

Third, apparently it's no longer possible to copy and paste text to the search bar. How come???

In short, the File Explorer search is seriously disabled now. Any suggestions? Are there plans to fix those issues?

:)

ehalill, Dec 2, 2019

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 2, 2019
  3. setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows File Explorer search problems - Similar Threads - File Explorer search

2. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  3. "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Search" vs Searching in File Explorer problems: Hello!I've recently got a new laptop, and a new install of Windows 11. I've *always* had issues with searching for files in Windows, its always been too slow or just grinds to a standstill completely and I've never *really* been sure what the problem is but anyhowIts about 70...
  4. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  5. Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Search problems in File Explorer: In File Explorer, I have been used to being able to search for all files within subfolders using *.* and also to search for files by type e.g., .otf, .ttf, .png, but since beginning to use Windows 11, that doesn't always work, and I am at a loss as to why it only works...
  6. KB5004237 causes problems with file explorer searches

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5004237 causes problems with file explorer searches: I have just proved by removing this update, that it severely impacts on going to files with file explorer.Running the trouble shooter ion search indexing finds no problems.I have removed all temporary files.I have defragged the C: drive.It made no difference, search just said...
  7. File Explorer problem - search and more

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer problem - search and more: I have Windows 10 2004 update, until 7-10 days ago no problems. I do the Updates whenever available. First problem was the Search tab in File Explorer would not accept any input. Last 24 hours, this changed to the search tab accepting a single character from the keyboard,...
  8. Problem with File explorer and Settings, and search button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with File explorer and Settings, and search button: [ATTACH]Okay, so a few things i need to point out with this windows 10 situation before i start, I have been slightly ignoring an issue i had for like almost a monthwhich is the file explorer issue. The issue is basically this: -I cannot open file explorer through the...
  9. File Explorer Search Problem

in Cortana
    File Explorer Search Problem: I have a Windows 10 user losing her ability to enter search criteria in a Windows 10 Search box. If logged in as her, and I click in the Search box from any number of places, no typing appears in the box. Also, If I open the Windows Start menu and attempt to type in a...
  10. File explorer problem - searching opens new window

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer problem - searching opens new window: Whenever I start to type in the search field, I never get to finish typing because explorer opens a new window right away after the first character. EDIT: Also, double clicking folders opens a new window as well. 37457