Windows 10: Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

Discus and support Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My Acer Aspire 5 i5. 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD C:+1TB HDD D:+E:, Windows 10 had become laggy and unresponsive a few days back. I restarted normally and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DiptangshuKarmakar, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

My Acer Aspire 5 i5. 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD C:+1TB HDD D:+E:, Windows 10 had become laggy and unresponsive a few days back. I restarted normally and on startup it went into scanning and repair and was stuck for nearly 5 days. It fixed only my D: HDD but I lost all my data and had to format D:

Explorer was still slow on D and E drive both HDD but was normal on my SSD and external HDD. I decided to reset my PC keeping my data and yet the problems persist. Whenever I'm trying to open any folder, it goes into "NOT RESPONDING" but if left for a minute or so, it opens the folder. I have tried CHKDSK, defragmentation, System File Checker, Windows defender scan. Is there any way this could be fixed?

:)

DiptangshuKarmakar, Aug 29, 2020

2. File Explorer/System Extremely Slow

Hi everyone,

Recently my file system (file explorer) started reacting really slow. If I scroll trough files it will hang, opening a folder takes ages and that's not all. Its really annoying to work like this. However there is one strange occurrence where if I open
    the file system from word to select a file to open, the file system is super fast as it should be.

I've searched the internet for a solution but no one seems to have exactly what I have.

The problem without to much explanation:

• File explorer is really slow.
    • File explorer is fast, when opened from another program.

For those that want to react: 'maybe its your computer', no that isn't the problem. I have a SSD, i7 quad core processor and 16gb of ram.

My Windows installation specifications are:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.16299

Build: 16299

System Type: x64bit

Thanks in advance.

rauldeheer, Aug 29, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Aug 29, 2020
  4. neilpzz Win User

Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

Moved Windows 10 to SSD from HDD, no windows.old file in HDD

One thing to do is make sure the SSD boots without the HDD connected.

It is possible that as part of the clean install to the SSD a windows.old folder is created as the install process will install updates along with the installation. This folder relates to the SSD and not the HDD windows installation.

Id you are happy the SSD boots without the HDD then go ahead and reconnected the HDD and in File Explorer start to delete the files and folders on the HDD. There will be partitions on the HDD that you will not see in File Explorer, they are visible in Disk
    Management. Removing those will only free up a small amount of space however.

neilpzz, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

1. Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD. - Similar Threads - File explorer slow

2. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  3. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file: My computer takes a long time to download a small filesmall file = around 200Mb, but it takes a short time to download a large filelarge file = 10Gb...
  4. Odd??Slow at small file but fast at large file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My HDD and SSD are detected but not functional. They can't be accessed in the file explorer: My recently had problems which, I think, stemmed from my internal hard drive being corrupted. So I reset my PC by doing a custom windows installation. It now works, but now my HDD cannot be detected. Additionally, I bought a new SSD but that also cannot be detected. The...
  6. Slow..then fast....slowwwwwwww...then fast

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow..then fast....slowwwwwwww...then fast: [ATTACH] any idea what causes this submitted by /u/Coolboobs85 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l3550v/slowthen_fastslowwwwwwwwthen_fast/
  7. Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Moving WIndows from HDD to SSD with files on it: I want to move my windows from an hdd to an ssd. The ssd already has stuff on it, but there is enough space for windows on it. However, everywhere ive looked it uses examples of the ssd being wiped. Do I have to delete all the stuff on it for it to work? And if I do, can I...
  8. File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer slow when opening - Waiting for external HDD to start.: Hello guys, Pretty simple question(i hope) whenever I open file explorer it takes ages as I have to wait for my external hard drive to start up. Rarely I ever use the external hard drive so is there a way to only make it turn on if I specifically click on it in windows...
  9. Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD: Why is it that my computer boots in seconds with just an SSD where Windows is installed but about 4X as long when I attach a secondary hard drive? Thanks! 119360
  10. File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer & My Libraries SSD/HDD: Hi, I thought I had it right but now have 2 different locations for library folders and This PC (D:\ HDD). Both folders are showing D:\ storage drive but up in File Explorer but have different paths. One set was done through Settings > System > Storage The other was done...