Windows 10: Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE

Discus and support Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a fairly new Lenovo ideapad 330S (four months old). It came with two hard drives, a 120GB C;\ drive where the OS is installed, and a 1TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Chris Mues, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE

Hi,

I have a fairly new Lenovo ideapad 330S (four months old). It came with two hard drives, a 120GB C;\ drive where the OS is installed, and a 1TB D:\ drive. As per my Device Manager these are two separate physical hard drives, the D:\ drive is Western Digital (WDC WD10SPZX-24Z10), the C:\ drive I havebn't figured out (HFM128GDHTNG-8310A).

When I select a file in the D:\ drive, Windows File Explorer stops responding. As far as I can figure out, this does not seem to happen when I select a folder, and it does not happen at all on the C:\ drive. It is very annoying.

I found this post here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...sponding/9e9c59ab-5364-4bf2-a2b3-f0c6be228720 by Greg Carmack , and followed steps 1-4, 9 and 10 on the checklist here that he recommends https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ntegrity/75529fd4-fac7-4653-893a-dd8cd4b4db00. I have not done steps 6 and 7 (remove 3rd party security bundles (this case McAfee) and downloaded Malwarebytes, since McAfee seems to run well and I have already paid for it.

On step 4 (msconfig), I had at one point deactivated all non-Microsoft services. Didn't help. The services and Startup programes I have kept deactivated are the ones related to Nuance (pdf program), Winzip, Bonjour, Fortemedia and Targus (screen extension to two monitors).

I then tried CCleaner as recommended here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...sponding/bd62e310-492e-44eb-8c00-b7e0698c59ad by S Awn. This cleaned up a few things, but didn't solve the problem at hand, the non-responding File Explorer on my D:\ drive.

It's getting frustrating. Not sure anymore what else to do, and I would prefer tnot to completely do a re-install.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

:)

Chris Mues, Aug 25, 2019

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Hayden93 Win User
    Windows file explorer has stopped responding

Hello all,
    I will be marking this as solved. The steps that I have taken is removing the file explorer Icon adding a shortcut to my documents. This will stop the library from checking for the external drive that is constantly causing this problem.
    -Hayden

Hayden93, Aug 25, 2019
  4. CuriousD Win User

Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE

Windows Explorer Stops Responding on Certain Folder

Hello. Recently, I had two instances when Windows Explorer stopped responding when I tried to access a folder. The first time, it seemed to focus on two video files and when I deleted the files, the folder was fine. The next time, I could not access the folder. I could access my back up on the NAS drive, but Windows Explorer would stop responding when I tried to access the folder on my secondary hard drive on the computer. I deleted the folder and copied the folder from the NAS drive to the secondary drive, but it yielded the same problem. I renamed the folder and I am now able to access the folder.

Do these two instances suggest a problem with my hard drive or with my current state of Windows 10?

Thanks for your input.

CuriousD, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE

1. Windows File Explorer Stops Responding BUT ONLY FOR D:\ DRIVE - Similar Threads - File Explorer Stops

2. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  3. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer frequently stops responding: Consistently, when i access certain files, usually ones a couple folders in, my file explorer will stop responding and do nothing until restarted.I have read a lot of readily available help, suggesting things like "sfc/scannow" in cmd or a system health check in powershell,...
  4. File Explorer frequently stops responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only: As the question states, the windows explorer on my Windows 11 system is incorrectly displaying my D drive as read only. However, when viewing the drive and its single partition in diskpart, it is shown as online, and not read only.I am still able to write, modify and delete...
  6. Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only

Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only: As the question states, the windows explorer on my Windows 11 system is incorrectly displaying my D drive as read only. However, when viewing the drive and its single partition in diskpart, it is shown as online, and not read only.I am still able to write, modify and delete...
  7. Windows Explorer stops responding freezes

Windows Explorer stops responding freezes: I'm having this problem frequently -> when I'm opening a file, the Windows Explorer window freezes.When I close the window, this has the unfortunately side effect of closing ALL of the Windows Explorer windows I have open. This is a real drag when I'm at work. I basically...
  8. File explorer - stops responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer - stops responding: Hello everybody, I need your assistance please . When i launch file explorer on my Windows 10 machine, it stops responding freezes . I have tried the below troubleshooting steps without any joy. Killed the program in the task manager, tried to relaunch again Control...
  9. File Explorer stops responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer stops responding: The issue occurs when I am trying to access File Explorer using any 3rd party software. It might be Zoom, Viber or even Chrome. I have to reboot the system to start it working again...
  10. Windows file explorer has stopped responding

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows file explorer has stopped responding: Hello all, I will be marking this as solved. The steps that I have taken is removing the file explorer Icon adding a shortcut to my documents. This will stop the library from checking for the external drive that is constantly causing this problem. -Hayden

Users found this page by searching for:

1. tails os stop responding