Windows 10: Windows file failure -- method to fix

Discus and support Windows file failure -- method to fix in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks I've had a problem with Windows failing with prompt to run chkdsk but didn't fix the problem. What you CAN do though 1) boot Linux Live CD.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Dec 2, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows file failure -- method to fix

Hi folks
    I've had a problem with Windows failing with prompt to run chkdsk but didn't fix the problem.

What you CAN do though

1) boot Linux Live CD.

Then : when trying to mount the Windows partition you'll probably see something like this :

[[email protected] hrafn]# mount /dev/sdb4 -t auto -o rw /mnt/DV0
    The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Falling back to read-only mount because the NTFS partition is in an
    unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation
    or fast restarting.)
    [[email protected] hrafn]# ntfsfix /dev/sdb4
    Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    FAILED

so now as root / sudo run ntfsfix /dev/sdb4 (or whatever is your Windows main partition --the data one not the efi / recovery partitions.

Attempting to correct errors...
    Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
    Reading $MFT... OK
    Reading $MFTMirr... OK
    Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
    Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
    Setting required flags on partition... OK
    Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
    Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
    NTFS volume version is 3.1.
    NTFS partition /dev/sdb4 was processed successfully.
    Mount is denied because the NTFS volume is already exclusively opened.
    The volume may be already mounted, or another software may use it which
    could be identified for example by the help of the 'fuser' command.
    [[email protected] hrafn]# umount /dev/sdb4
    [[email protected] hrafn]#

Now all fixed and windows boots normally.

OK this is a Windows Forum but sometimes to fix errors it's always useful to have other tools at hand when Windows can't do it itself and a lot here do use Linux as VM's or just play with it as Live CD's.

Chkdsk doesn't always work and I know the Disk isn't faulty itself !!! A lot of people often assign errors to "hardware going bad" -- in general hardware breaks very rarely --not nearly as often as people think it does.

There's also another CD which is Windows based (not KYHI's one which is excellent BTW) that also can be used if people are a bit scared of trying a Linux live CD - but because it contains possibly pirated and definitely proprietary material Forum rules preclude supplying a link.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 2, 2019
  2. Mussels Win User

Installing Windows Vista/7 Via flash drive (Mussels Method)

Thread updated with a newer method that allows multiple windows OS's on the one USB. nice little windows GUI, but a few more steps than the old method.

This method supports XP.

Mussels, Dec 2, 2019
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Windows file failure -- method to fix

PunkBuster Fixes

Thats the first step *Smile Windows file failure -- method to fix :)

That mean you do not have PB installed or it didn't install correctly. Try step one in the guide. Post back with results.

TheMailMan78, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows file failure -- method to fix

1. Windows file failure -- method to fix - Similar Threads - file failure method

2. I tried every method but can't fix it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I tried every method but can't fix it: what does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-every-method-but-cant-fix-it/713f42b2-2e00-46c5-a801-ebe7b32ccbb0
  3. I tried every method but can't fix it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried every method but can't fix it: what does it mean? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-tried-every-method-but-cant-fix-it/713f42b2-2e00-46c5-a801-ebe7b32ccbb0
  4. I tried every method but can't fix it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. MP3 File failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MP3 File failure: Hope someone can help. I'm trying to open MP3 file attached to federal bankruptcy minute order sent through PACER. File plays for maybe 5 seconds then error message Qx80070323 interrupts saying 'file was removed or another program is trying to open it.' I can't seem to even...
  6. Local File / Folder Locking Methods

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local File / Folder Locking Methods: Looking for a way to literally access deny / lock local files with password protection. I know of a few methods. EasyFileLocker is a program I've used a lot. I just wanted to get a scope of if there is something someone knows about that works really well for this. I know...
  7. windows failure not fixed after several updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows failure not fixed after several updates: I'm using windows 10 on surface pro 6. recently I was keep getting the KERNEL_SECURITY _FAILURE error randomly at the middle of my tasks while I was using the pc. I attempted to update the windows and after that It didn't stopped and the error just changed to...
  8. Best/Quickest method of transferring files.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Best/Quickest method of transferring files.: Good afternoon, My Brother-In-Law has several external HDD's which he wants to organise. He wants to copy folders, and sub-folders from one location [F: for example] to another location [G: for example]. Would it be quicker to do this using the CMD prompt in Safe Mode...
  9. File failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File failure: My Dell laptop will not pull up any files or programs. This happened suddenly. I am running windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-failure/498f84ae-74d0-45cf-a506-e1dd55ceae67
  10. Canonical method to find and fix corrupt boot files on unbootable PC?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Canonical method to find and fix corrupt boot files on unbootable PC?: Hi all, I am having a repeat problem: my unstable PC BSODed while I wasn't doing anything, rebooted and then BSODed again on boot (0xc000021a), rebooted to the repair environment, which failed to fix it: my machine is unbootable. As before, booting to safe mode is...