Windows 10: Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

Discus and support Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/ in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I had a laptop which recently broke and the manufacturer had to send me a replacement. I had used File History to backup my files. I restored the files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Catherine135, Nov 27, 2022.

1. Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

I had a laptop which recently broke and the manufacturer had to send me a replacement. I had used File History to backup my files. I restored the files to the new computer which has a different computer name and username. Unfortunately, this changed the username on the new computer and appears to have messed things up. Now, I can't connect to file history with the hard drive - it says it's currently in use I stopped it and restarted it and even restarted the computer. It's not. I also can't change the name of the folder in C:/Users/ - which was added as the old username folder when the file

:)

Catherine135, Nov 27, 2022
  2. Wusty Win User

File History Full Restore Fails Due To Shortened User Folder Name

Hi.

I am in a desperate situation here trying to restore files from File History.

I was running Windows 10 on my Lenovo X1 Carbon. I was using File History for backup. The Lenovo X1 failed completely (motherboard). The laptop has been replaced with a high-end Dell machine. I now want to restore my files.

To help facilitate this, I setup the new machine with the same computer name. I used the same MSFT account credentials to set up the machine as the previous laptop. I have followed the steps outlined in various posts and I was confident that I carefully
    followed the correct process. However, my files have not been restored.

The issue seems to be that my user folder name was shortened by 'setup' on the new machine. For example, if the user folder name on the old machine was 'Richard', on the new machine it is now 'richa'. As a consequence:

1) None of the files in 'Richard' have been restored.

2) The File History drive now has a folder called 'richa' under <computer_name>\Data\C\Users.

3) 'Richard' is still present on the File History drive under <computer_name>\Data\C\Users, but in looking at the 'Configuration' folder, both the 'Config1' and 'Config2' files have been updated to reflect 'richa', with no reference to the original 'Richard'.

I have turned off File History until I sort this out.

THE BIG QUESTION IS how can I restore the files in 'Richard' to my laptop either by using a) my current 'richa' user folder on the new laptop, or b) to a new user with the correct user folder name?

Another question might be, if it is possible to restore the files in 'Richard' back to 'richa', will I experience any config or user issues because my user folder name is different ('richa' versus 'Richard').

I am dead in the water so any help appreciated.

Regards.

Wusty, Nov 27, 2022
  3. Nicrite Win User
    Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, Nov 27, 2022
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

File History Full Restore Fails Due To Shortened User Folder Name

We appreciate your response. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want backed up, you can add them to one of these folders.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to restore files and folders using File History:

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Search (or if you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search), enter restore your files in
      the search box, and then select Restore your files with File History.
    • Enter the name of file you're looking for in the search box, or use the left and right arrows to browse through different versions of your folders and files.
    • Select what you want to restore to its original location, and then select the Restore button.

If you want to restore your files to a different location than the original, press and hold or right-click the Restore button, select Restore To, and then choose a new location.

You may also check this article for more information about backing up and restoring files.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Nov 27, 2022
Thema:

Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

1. Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/ - Similar Threads - File History restored

2. Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File History restored files and changed the computer user folder name in C:/Users/: I had a laptop which recently broke and the manufacturer had to send me a replacement. I had used File History to backup my files. I restored the files to the new computer which has a different computer name and username. Unfortunately, this changed the username on the new...
  3. Change User File Name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change User File Name: my system was set up buy the the people putting it together.my name was misspelled and i would like to correct it.this is a windows 11 system I was a some how able to change my profile name as the admin.in the registry it has my correct name - just the user file on C: Drive...
  4. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  5. "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>": "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>" refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and...
  6. User File Name Change

User File Name Change: I was wondering if there was any way to change the user file name https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-file-name-change/3ccd48c5-aeb4-4eae-a7bb-6accc2165d01"
  7. Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users

Changing the name of the "Home" file in C:\Users: It's been bugging me for so long because whenever something pulls up my account name it uses Home, and I really want to change it. Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-the-name-of-the-home-file-in-cusers/62b9d640-c05f-4eb6-be42-680f7a8fc4a3"
  8. Change User file name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  9. Change User file name

in Windows 10 Support
    Change User file name: Hi During a complete reinstall somehow a user file name got changed C:\Users\X it should have been C:\Users\Richard how do I change it back? Thanks for any help. Rich 116571
  10. User's Files folder name changed to"Folders"

in Windows 10 Customization
    User's Files folder name changed to"Folders": User's files folder name(In my case its 'Dev') suddenly changed to "Folders". Whatever new account I create it still shows the home folder as "Folders". Pls help..Its really annoying.My brother used the laptop and accidently installed some malware and adware which i just...