Windows 10: Windows File Manager closes after a search

Discus and support Windows File Manager closes after a search in Cortana to solve the problem; Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RJL_web, Oct 23, 2022.

1. RJL_web Win User

Windows File Manager closes after a search

Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the search, the same thing happens. Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do about it?

:)

RJL_web, Oct 23, 2022

2. How to delete searched file list using file manager?

I did a search for *.jpg in a folder, and I want to delete the whole list of 300 or whatever jpg files that appear.
    There is no select all, nothing. I thought I used to be able to so that?

OK got it, you have to manually select files, then you can delete them all at once

Windows File Manager closes after a search [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Well it does not work, says interrupted action?
    File manager has hung.

- - - Updated - - -

Earlier I had told it to index all the drives on my PC, has 1,450,000 index entries.
    Is the indexing killing the thing?
    But without indexing, file searches are horrendously slow, and this is a SSD

- - - Updated - - -

Tried closing window from task bar, and it gives this but again has hung up

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I managed to close the window, and briefly saw Clone CD directory deletion required admin privileges, but that folder was not showing in the list, so baffling. That folder is in folder 1234. I searched again and saw all the jpg files are now gone.

sdowney717, Oct 23, 2022
  3. File Manager Search

All of a sudden i can't use the search function in win10 file manager, i can't get my cursor to go in, it almost looks like it is greyed out.
    I have google and none of the suggestion work.
    win 10 ver. 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1889)
    When i boot up in safe mode i can search in the file manager.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thank you

Windsurfer, Oct 23, 2022
  4. Windows File Manager closes after a search

setting default view for Winodws Explorer Search Reasults

Thank you for the detailed response. To change the search result's view from content to list, we suggest following the steps below:

• Open the File Explorer and try to search for files.
    • In the toolbar, open the View tab and click List
      to change the view.
    • Once changed, close the File Explorer.
    • Open the File Explorer again and try to search to see if the setting has been retained.

After performing the steps above, reply back to us so we can provide additional help.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 23, 2022
Thema:

Windows File Manager closes after a search

1. Windows File Manager closes after a search - Similar Threads - File Manager closes

2. Windows File Manager closes after a search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Manager closes after a search: Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the search, the same thing happens. Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do about it?...
  3. Windows File Manager closes after a search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows File Manager closes after a search: Sometimes when I do a search in File Manager in Windows, immediately after the results are displayed, File Manager abruptly closes. If I repeat the search, the same thing happens. Why does this happen? Is there anything I can do about it?...
  4. Windows Search Bar closes shortly after opening it

in Cortana
    Windows Search Bar closes shortly after opening it: Hello, every time I click the "type here to search" bar, it opens then closes. This is what I mean in video form: https://streamable.com/qh872mWhen I restart my computer and click "type here to search" it stays open but as soon as i start to type in it, it...
  5. Windows Search doesn't close after opening a folder

in Cortana
    Windows Search doesn't close after opening a folder: When I open a folder from Windows Search by searching for it and pressing Enter, the folder opens in an Explorer window but Windows Search doesn't close itself I have to close it manually by click anywhere on the screen. If you search for a folder in your computer and...
  6. File Manager crashes during file search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Manager crashes during file search: Since my recent Windows 10 updates August 2020, file manager crashes when I try to do a search for a file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-manager-crashes-during-file-search/9e569a05-441f-4d51-9fce-42a2d3bd3696
  7. windows search web search results stay after closing windows search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows search web search results stay after closing windows search: [ATTACH] accidentally typed zoo in my windows search, now it shows these search results and they wont go away even after closing the search box multiple times help submitted by /u/GalacticUser25 [link] [comments]...
  8. File Explorer closes after end of search?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer closes after end of search?: Open File Explorer in Windows 10. Enter my search criteria in upper right corner. Hit Enter. Wait. Search bar moves slowly from left to right. Some file results appear. After the search ends, the File Explorer window closes! Why? How can I fix this? submitted by...
  9. File Explorer Closes after search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Closes after search: How do I fix the problem of File Explorer closing at the end of a search? File Explorer in Windows 10 Pro closes all open file explorer windows when a search ends....
  10. File Explorer closes when searching for a file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer closes when searching for a file: In File Explorer, when I type an entry into the Search box, it momentarily shows results then File Explorer closes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-closes-when-searching-for-a-file/2be6c0d9-16bb-479c-93ec-7f16e189223a