Windows 10: Windows file search reveals phantom directory

Discus and support Windows file search reveals phantom directory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I search for certain files, Windows 10 shows some results for the directory C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\Windows\Installer. When I try to delete those... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LewisCrow, Oct 18, 2019.

1. LewisCrow Win User

Windows file search reveals phantom directory

When I search for certain files, Windows 10 shows some results for the directory C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\NewOS\Windows\Installer. When I try to delete those files, it says they cannot be found. The directory is not visible even when I uncheck the option to hide protected operating system files.

How can I either 1) find the directory or 2) get Search to stop showing phantom results?

:)

LewisCrow, Oct 18, 2019

2. Directory Size Utility

Change Log v1.6

• Resoved an issue where selecting "Detail" from the "View" drop down would cause duplicates.
    • New "Peek" feature!
      • Selecting something in the Directory column in the Directory view (Left window) while holding "z" will peek into that directory!
      • Double clicking the Directory column in the directory view(Left window) while holding "z" will add the folder.
    • New color coded feature in both Size columns for Detailed view.
    • Exporting to Excel will now Export both Folder (left) and File (right) window. In the excel file the Folder, and File window will be on different sheets.
    • Add a feature to export to older excel 97-2003 (.xls) from the file/export drop down window.
    Download HERE!

Don't forget to enter to win this game bundle! here Drawing is this Friday!

Mindweaver, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Drone Win User
    Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Windows file search reveals phantom directory

Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Windows file search reveals phantom directory

1. Windows file search reveals phantom directory - Similar Threads - file search reveals

2. File Directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Directory: Can you compare the content of two different directories in Windows 11?I have a Lenovo Yoga 7i with Microsoft Windows 11 Home Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621 Thank you for any information....
  3. File directory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File directory: Is there anyway to revert back to the old format, this new one is awful. submitted by /u/Mystreanon [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/nfm3lv/file_directory/
  4. Search Active Directory greyed out in File explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search Active Directory greyed out in File explorer: As of last week the Search Active Directory button is greyed out not in this image. Any ideas of what is causing this and a fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-active-directory-greyed-out-in-file/577c524b-1716-4bb7-a7a2-df49a604c0ae
  5. Windows Search directory permissions fail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Search directory permissions fail: My Windows Search bar has stopped responding altogether. It doesn't open at all. I have tried the search & indexing troubleshooter, and it recognizes there's an issue with the directory permissions but fails to fix it. I researched from around the internet the possible root...
  6. Batch file to search directory for file type and copy to new location

in Windows 10 Support
    Batch file to search directory for file type and copy to new location: Hi all, Not sure if posting in correct area, I would like to have a batch file that can search a directory or drive for file type and copy that file into a new directory renaming the file to reflect what users folder it came out of. To be a little more specific, I have...
  7. searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name

searching for 8.3 file and directories with ~ in the name: In Win 10, when using robocopy I accidently entered the wrong parameter /FAT causing several directory and file namesto be converted to 8.3 format before I could stop it. Does anyone know a simple way to find them, they would have a tilde ~ in the name? I have tried dir...
  8. Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories

in Cortana
    Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories: Hello, Most of the users are facing issue with indexing I tried troubleshooting and i get this error. [ATTACH] I tried to rebuild index, repaired office package, checked the permissions on the windows search folders, Disabled and re-enabled the feature dism...
  9. File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10: I'm going to save various thousands of words by inserting images. First, these are the drives. [ATTACH] Searches on M: don't work. Note the indicated files in M:\Music. [ATTACH] Here's the result of a search of this directory. Note that Windows did not find any of...
  10. Microsoft reveals how it fixed the broken Windows Search feature

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reveals how it fixed the broken Windows Search feature: Microsoft has finally realized that the search engine in Windows 10 has the potential to break other features. Microsoft says that there were enough people turning off Windows Search to fix issues like Excessive Disk Usage. Windows Search is deeply integrated into the...