Windows 10: Windows File share with microsoft accounts

Discus and support Windows File share with microsoft accounts in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Went to add a Raid shared folder for a family member to access and it seems that I cannot get access to this shared folder unless everyone is selected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ltr.az, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ltr.az Win User

Windows File share with microsoft accounts

Went to add a Raid shared folder for a family member to access and it seems that I cannot get access to this shared folder unless everyone is selected for access/permissions. For example I logged into two PC with my MS account. Created a shared folder via share with specific people... I can see the shared folder but do not have access to the folder even though I am signed into each PC with the same MS account.

I did notice that the MS account gets mapped to a GUID or something when selecting the account...not sure why that is but perhaps trying to obfuscate the email?? If I set access to everyone then I can see inside the folder with w/r access...

So even though I am signing into the computers with the same MS account they are not mapping to the same account so access is denied.

One of the PCs was new and I just did the standard login with MS account and I see my "family accounts" in the permissions list

a local account with

user name/PC Name like John Smith/MyPC

MS account/PC Name like *** Email address is removed for privacy ***/MyPC

I looked through the support and saw the enable SMB which is verified both on...

So what approach do we make this always work? Should we use the MS accounts or local accounts with different Names? Would prefer that MS acct authentication would work all the time but seems like there is also some local setup that is required. What is the best practice?

Thanks!

Running Win 10 1809 17763.349

Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB Ram, 1T SSD, 12TB Raid 6, Radeon Pro Duo x2

:)

ltr.az, Mar 10, 2019

2. SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 10, 2019
  3. Cannot access shared network drive

I could scream! so much time wasted on this stupid error, as if time is not precious enough!
    It probably would work fine if I could see the other computer! But I cannot see the other computer!

sharonspost, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows File share with microsoft accounts :(

Zakin, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows File share with microsoft accounts - Similar Threads - File share microsoft

2. shared microsoft account is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shared microsoft account is missing: Hi, I have two shared accounts on my ASUS X515 laptop. My admin account linked to XBOX game subscriptions and account for my son who owns the laptop. When you try to switch between accounts from the START menu shortcut, my admin account is no longer there for selection. When...
  3. shared microsoft account is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shared microsoft account is missing: Hi, I have two shared accounts on my ASUS X515 laptop. My admin account linked to XBOX game subscriptions and account for my son who owns the laptop. When you try to switch between accounts from the START menu shortcut, my admin account is no longer there for selection. When...
  4. shared microsoft account is missing

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  5. shared microsoft account - how to disable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shared microsoft account - how to disable: On Windows 10 - All of my files loaded on my husband's new laptop. He doesn't need any of it and just wants his own files. How can we delete my files from his laptop without deleting them from all locations? He deleted a sample and got a message that it would delete the file...
  6. shared microsoft account - how to disable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    shared microsoft account - how to disable: On Windows 10 - All of my files loaded on my husband's new laptop. He doesn't need any of it and just wants his own files. How can we delete my files from his laptop without deleting them from all locations? He deleted a sample and got a message that it would delete the file...
  7. User Accounts / Shared Files

User Accounts / Shared Files: Hello, I work in a onsite department and one of are clients has a computer in one of their head employees office that they are also using as a server. On the server computer they have a folder on his C drive called Shared that other computers inside the network can access....
  8. Microsoft Account and family sharing issues

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account and family sharing issues: My son originally set-up an Xbox profile using his mothers email address. Subsequently, having grown he has a laptop and has also played xbox games on it. Following the setup of family sharing for him and his brother, we have ended up a complete mess. His younger brother...
  9. Windows File share with microsoft accounts

Windows File share with microsoft accounts: Went to add a Raid shared folder for a family member to access and it seems that I cannot get access to this shared folder unless everyone is selected for access/permissions. For example I logged into two PC with my MS account. Created a shared folder via share with...
  10. Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing!

Microsoft account = broken RDP and file sharing!: Hey everyone. First let me blow some steam by stating that Microsoft Account is a convoluted feature that is very poorly thought out and integrated. /end rant That being said, here is my situation. I fresh installed Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop. On both computers I...