Windows 10: Windows File shortcuts stopped working after PC upgrade

Discus and support Windows File shortcuts stopped working after PC upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I have a little&big problem with files shortcuts in Windows 10,I recently changed my PC,moved my files to an External HD(from the old PC),then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Random390, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Random390 Win User

Windows File shortcuts stopped working after PC upgrade

Hello!

I have a little&big problem with files shortcuts in Windows 10,I recently changed my PC,moved my files to an External HD(from the old PC),then moved them back in the new one,only to find out that all my files shortcuts stopped working for some reason.

Both my old and new PC have the same username,so I thought the shortcuts would have kept working fine as the path they refer to is 100% of the same.

I even made a comparison,I made a new shortcut,copied the path it was showing,e.g.:
    "C:\users\random\documents\file.txt"
    And compared to the old shortcut from the previous PC,exact same path,yet when I try to use any old shortcut it returns the error:
    "C:\users\random\documents\file.txt"
    The specified path does not exist.
    Check the path and retry
    (^this is a translation as my Windows is in Italian).

Is there a way to "fix" the old shortcuts without having to redo all of them?

:)

Random390, Jan 1, 2019
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Windows File shortcuts stopped working after PC upgrade :)

terrace, Jan 1, 2019
  3. Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows File shortcuts stopped working after PC upgrade - Similar Threads - File shortcuts stopped

2. DLNA stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DLNA stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11: I had the DLNA server working on my Windows desktop Media Streaming Options were turned on, all folders of interest added to the Video library on Windows 10 Home. I was using VLC on my iPhone same home network to play videos on my phone.I have upgraded to Windows 11 22H2,...
  3. DLNA stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DLNA stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11: I had the DLNA server working on my Windows desktop Media Streaming Options were turned on, all folders of interest added to the Video library on Windows 10 Home. I was using VLC on my iPhone same home network to play videos on my phone.I have upgraded to Windows 11 22H2,...
  4. Task Bar File Explorer shortcuts stopped working after Windows 11 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Bar File Explorer shortcuts stopped working after Windows 11 update: I installed the 22H2 update on 22nd September 2022 and my File Explorer in the Task Bar stopped working correctly.When I right-click the File Explorer icon, a list opens that shows pinned and recent items. None of them work anymore with a left-click, except the This PC...
  5. Task Bar File Explorer shortcuts stopped working after Windows 11 update

Task Bar File Explorer shortcuts stopped working after Windows 11 update: I installed the 22H2 update on 22nd September 2022 and my File Explorer in the Task Bar stopped working correctly.When I right-click the File Explorer icon, a list opens that shows pinned and recent items. None of them work anymore with a left-click, except the This PC...
  6. Shortcuts stop working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shortcuts stop working: The keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops are Ctrl+WinKey+right arrow and Ctrl+WinKey+left arrow. These shortcuts stop working after a while and only the WinKey appears to be recognized, so the open app is pinned to right or left. What can cause the keyboard combination to...
  7. Shortcuts stop working

Shortcuts stop working: The keyboard shortcuts to switch desktops are Ctrl+WinKey+right arrow and Ctrl+WinKey+left arrow. These shortcuts stop working after a while and only the WinKey appears to be recognized, so the open app is pinned to right or left. What can cause the keyboard combination to...
  8. Microphone stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11: Hello,As stated in the title, my microphone on my headset stopped working after I updated my computer to Windows 11. When I first plugged it into my 3.5mm headset jack, nothing was detected. I found online that I could make my sound driver be the Realtek High Definition Audio...
  9. Microphone stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11

Microphone stopped working after upgrading to Windows 11: Hello,As stated in the title, my microphone on my headset stopped working after I updated my computer to Windows 11. When I first plugged it into my 3.5mm headset jack, nothing was detected. I found online that I could make my sound driver be the Realtek High Definition Audio...
  10. Shortcut feature stopped working

Shortcut feature stopped working: When I click on a new shortcut it says "Application not found" What`s causing this? I uninstalled and reinstalled my browser - no change. Could my cleaning tool have deleted something? When I right click on New > Shortcut and paste in a web-address > click Next and assign...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp coolsense not showing