Windows 10: Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently running Windows 10 Pro, 1909, OS build 18363.1316. Over the last year or so I have upgraded to later versions as they have become... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wurlitzer1015, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro, 1909, OS build 18363.1316.

Over the last year or so I have upgraded to later versions as they have become available, but after the upgrade completes successfully I find that Windows File Explorer My PC fails to show the contents of the file system. The File Explorer windows open with all the menus visible but with just a blank white space in the window. The progress bar across the top makes very slow progress, after about 30 minutes I give up shut it down and roll-back to 1909.

I haven't been able to find any help on this problem, just wondering if anyone else has or someone can offer a solution.

The PC is quite old, 2013 DELL Insipiron 2303, the RAM was upgraded a few years back to 16Gb and I also replaced the original 1Tb HD with a Crucial 1Tb SSD at the same time MX200. The PC has been running fine with these installed on 1909, but I am wondering if there might be some driver issue that could come with the later Window 10 updates. Just a thought.

:)

Wurlitzer1015, Jan 30, 2021
  2. jds21 Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jan 30, 2021
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jan 30, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update

1. Windows FileExplorer fails after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - FileExplorer fails update

2. group fileexplorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    group fileexplorer: hallo, iam looking for an systemwide solution forever and not partial and not for moment/session.... i want to disable the nagging, useless and Z-worthing grouping View of files for all actions: fileexplorer open dialog savas dialog pls do not answer:...
  3. Windows 10 failed to boot after the update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 failed to boot after the update: my windows 10 failed to boot after the update I tried windows automatic repair, and its written "press advance options to try other options to repair your PC, or shut down to turn off your PC. Log file: " yes, the log file is empty I have tried several steps with the...
  4. Logon Failed After Updating Windows 10

Logon Failed After Updating Windows 10: I just updated Windows 10 on one of my Dell desktops. After the reboot I got the following message: The User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User Profile could not be loaded. How do I fix this? I tried using both my pin and password and both failed Marc Marcuzzi...
  5. Activation of windows 10 failed after updation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of windows 10 failed after updation: Dear Support, I purchased Halo CE anniversary edition today. When I tried to install it, it said I have to update windows 10 to the latest version. It took a long time to get the update process complete. When I restarted, the windows screen went black and I was unable to...
  6. Windows 10 - cannot hide windows UEFI boot partition form FileExplorer

Windows 10 - cannot hide windows UEFI boot partition form FileExplorer: hello community! I have some issue on my UEFI windows boot partition, a short summary of what I was doing: Installed Linux Ubuntu on a separate drivenot the drive I have windows installed on, Ubuntu automatically created it's boot partition on my windows drive. It creates...
  7. Bluetooth fails after Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bluetooth fails after Windows 10 updates: Windows 10 1903 (updated to KB4517389) caused Bluetooth to fail on my Samsung laptop with Qualcomm Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth hardware. No Bluetooth communication takes place, including detection of devices and connection to devices that were already paired before Windows...
  8. Windows fails to boot after attempting to update Windows 10.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot after attempting to update Windows 10.: Main Issue Whenever I try to update Windows 10, the laptop begins installing the update, then when it restarts to continue installing the update, I can see the windows logo with the spinning dots, however when this disappears the screen stays on a black screen. I have tried...
  9. How to change FileExplorer(windows explorer)background to Grey

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change FileExplorer(windows explorer)background to Grey: Hello Tenforums community , Can we change FileExplorer (windows explorer) background from white to Grey color. Currently I am using windows 7 , and I it we can install third party themes. I use this theme http://aaron-a-arts.deviantart.com/a...ATED-317882595 It is not...
  10. Windows 10 Update Fails At 45% After Restart

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Update Fails At 45% After Restart: Hello, I'm having an issue when trying to update Windows 10. Basically it auto updates and after the computer restarts it tries to install the update and fails every time.The last update I have is the Windows 10 creators update and the current one that is failing to update...