Windows 10: Windows Files - Create Date behavior

Discus and support Windows Files - Create Date behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Folks, I have a question regarding the way that Windows (Explorer) handles Dates in files. For example, when I save a file for the first time,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DereckFrance, May 30, 2019.

1. Windows Files - Create Date behavior

Hello Folks,

I have a question regarding the way that Windows (Explorer) handles Dates in files. For example, when I save a file for the first time, it gets a Created date. However, when I copy that file and paste on the same drive (or separate drive - doesn't matter), the Created date changes to the current date. I would like to find a way for the copied file to retain the original Create date. Here is the kicker though, I want this to happen automatically. I know that I can use Robocopy or similar programs to do this in a manual sort of way. However, I am hoping there is some kind of registry tweak or setting somewhere that can allow me to change this behavior to occur without me having to do anything additional.

The main reason I want this is because I have a ton of Pictures, Movies, and Music that I do not want to lose the Create date on. I have been very careful with this, but I just know at some point I am bound to mess it up, and that would be very disappointing for me. I like knowing when I obtained files, particularly Pictures. Pictures I have taken have a Date taken field in the metadata, but that doesn't help very much when sorting in Windows Explorer. And since the Modified date can change based on other factors, I would rather the Create date stay the same..

I hate to bring this up, simply because of the negative reactions that it may evoke, but a Mac has this feature and does it automatically. Maybe it is simply due to the filesystem, I am not sure. It would be awesome if I could find a solution for this in Windows, as this is the only thing that I miss from owning a Mac and am hoping there is a solution for a Windows machine.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!

:)

DereckFrance, May 30, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

File Explorer Date Created and Modified not always correct

Hi,

The File Explorer may have encountered a system conflict that caused this issue. For us to start with initial troubleshooting, we'd like to know more information, kindly answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 do you have?
    • In File Explorer, what does it indicate in the Date column? Does it show Date Modified or Date Created? (right click the Date Modified section at the top, which are the ones that has a checkmark?)
    • Which troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Kindly get back to us for further assistance.

Xylee Del, May 30, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Reboot.me file having date created as 1997

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to check the system date and time and ensure that the time and date is correct. To check that you can follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold Windows + I key on the keyboard to open settings.
    2. Click on Time and Language.
    3. Click on Set time Automatically and Time zone Automatically.

The folder is created during recovery process and it contains the system files.

You can run Microsoft Safety scanner on the computer to make sure that there is no infections on your computer.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Please refer

Microsoft Safety Scanner
    to download Microsoft Safety Scanner and run it.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 30, 2019
  4. Windows Files - Create Date behavior

file explorer shows created date not updated date.

Today, I went to Microsoft file explorer and sorted a list of files by date.

Imagine my horror when I saw that they were all old files.

In fact, the problem is that the date displayed is created date, and not updated date.

This is the first time that I have observed this - it has worked OK in the past.

GrahamDLovell, May 30, 2019
Thema:

Windows Files - Create Date behavior

1. Windows Files - Create Date behavior - Similar Threads - Files Create Date

2. Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have been having this problem for several months. Regardless of how I create a new file, the Date Created is incorrect. It is from 2008 today the dates is 2/7/2008. This occurs even if copy and paste a file within File Explorer.I've seen posts about utilities that can be...
  3. Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect "Date Created" dates in Windows 11 File Explorer: I have been having this problem for several months. Regardless of how I create a new file, the Date Created is incorrect. It is from 2008 today the dates is 2/7/2008. This occurs even if copy and paste a file within File Explorer.I've seen posts about utilities that can be...
  4. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  5. Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrect "Date Created dates" in File Explorer.: Regarding "Date Created dates". I took about 800 photographs in June 2023 using both a Panasonic camera and a Samsung S6 phone. On sorting through these photographs recently, I found that the "Date Created" date had changed on over half these photographs.. This is occurring...
  6. Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bug - File Explorer - Date Created vs Date Modified: I was going through some files looking for the date I created / made / saved them first and noticed this problem.When I list Date Created and Date Modified in File Explorer, the Date Modified is either equal to possible or earlier than not possible the Date Created. I do not...
  7. Created date on Copied file not that of source file

Created date on Copied file not that of source file: I need to copy PDF files attached to emails I use Thunderbird to local directories which i review using File Explorer. When I copy a file to a directory, the date created of the copied file becomes the date it was copied. Is there a way to have the "created date" for the...
  8. File Explorer Create date attribute

File Explorer Create date attribute: When I change a file create date to any date before 1980, File Explorer does not show the date attribute and sorting by date does not work. I am using Bulk File Changer or Attribute Changer to change the attribute. I believe this is a bug....
  9. Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified

Windows 10: Date, Date Created and Date Modified: For what purpose is Date field in File Manager? It was default in my new laptop. I tried to find reason why file date was not changing even though I changed it. I had to contact IT support and they told that Date is wrong field. I couldn't imagine that Date field shows...
  10. Include date in file created by batch file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Include date in file created by batch file.: How can I add to this batch command to include the date: xcopy C:\all\* Z:\Allbak\* /E /Y /C I'd like the resulting file to be named "Z:\Allbak171129" (yr mo day). The plan is to set up a task schedule to run the batch file every week. I want to keep several previous...