Windows 10: Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

Discus and support Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist.

I have multiple PCs in my house, one that I use myself, and one that is used by the others. Now I need to transfer about 80GB from one PC to the other, and I decided to try the homegroup thingy. Now I never set it up, not on my PC, nor on theirs, but since my bro is still very young, I can't guarantee that he didn't do anything, but I did check on that computer, and the homegroup doesn't exist.

So that homegroup doesn't exist, and when I check from my PC it finds a homegroup. I click join, and when it comes to joining, I get an error "windows no longer detects a homegroup (it can't detect what doesn't exist anyway).
    So how can I create the homegroup ?

I also want to state that I want to create the homegroup from my PC because this is the PC that stays open most of the time.

Screenshot by Lightshot

:)

Marron, Jul 27, 2015
  2. wholesale Win User

office manager

I had a homegroup with windows 7. When I updated to windows 10 the connection was lost. When I try to join the group I get a message

telling me the group doesn't exist. Start a new group. When I go to homegroup the only option I have is to join the homegroup that doesn't exist anymore. Very frustrating! How do I leave or delete the group that doesn't exist so I can start a new group?

wholesale, Jul 27, 2015
  3. JuliaVD Win User
    Homegroup on a wireless network

I can't recreate the homegroup. Both computers simply say I have to join the already existing homegroup. The laptop even says that Laptop created it, and yet it says I have to join. It doesn't make any sense. There is a phantom homegroup with a password
    that I can't find.

JuliaVD, Jul 27, 2015
  4. NUS
    Nus Win User

Does that username and computer name mean anything to you? That should tell you where the phantom homegroup is. Perhaps you have a neighbour scabbing your internet via WiFi.

I've never understood what the point of a homegroup is?

Regardless, to transfer your files just make a shared folder on the destination PC and move your files over via Explorer. Turning off password protection on the destination computer should make it a hassle free process.

5. Marron Win User
    Yeah. That username means something. It's my mum's username. But I didn't check if the PC name is the same as the one that's identified.

But the shared folder idea sounds good. I'll look into it now.

Marron, Jul 27, 2015
  6. NUS
    Nus Win User
    The way I do it is right click on the folder you want to share, choose Properties from the menu and hit the Sharing tab. Then do the following:

Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist. [​IMG]

To turn off password protection do this:

Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist. [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Windows finds homegroup that doesn't exist. - Similar Threads - finds homegroup doesn't

2. Malwarebytes finds folder that doesn't exist -- should it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Malwarebytes finds folder that doesn't exist -- should it?: I just installed Malwarebytes and ran it. It quickly enumerated 27 threats quickly = about a minute in; scan is still running after 21 minutes, and so far no others. All are in a folder identified as C:Program Files\WindowsMalwareProtection\Question: should this folder exist,...
  3. Malwarebytes finds folder that doesn't exist -- should it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Malwarebytes finds folder that doesn't exist -- should it?: I just installed Malwarebytes and ran it. It quickly enumerated 27 threats quickly = about a minute in; scan is still running after 21 minutes, and so far no others. All are in a folder identified as C:Program Files\WindowsMalwareProtection\Question: should this folder exist,...
  4. Keyset doesn't exist

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Keyset doesn't exist: I reset my password two days or so ago and then when I was trying to figure out an issue with Skype saying my pin was an issue, I discovered that my account on my Microsoft computer stated that I needed to verify my identity. When I tried to do that, it gave me an error...
  5. How do I connect to an existing homegroup?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I connect to an existing homegroup?: Moved from Windows 7 to a new Windows 10 laptop, but can't work out how to connect to our homegroup. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-connect-to-an-existing-homegroup/95abee85-b3be-46d8-8fe6-591e378edb64
  6. can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10

can't find homegroup or it's password windows 10: All of the instructions that I seem to be able to find in reference to View (find) the password for a Homegroup give me instructions such as "1. Click Start & then click Control Panel"; "2. Click Network and Internet and then click HomeGroup"; 3. View or print the homegroup...
  7. Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup

Unable to add Windows 10 computer to existing homegroup: I have a new Windows 10 laptop that I'm trying to add to an existing home network. On the network is another Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 desktop. I have no issues networking between the two older computers but am finding it impossible to add the new computer. The new...
  8. Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup

Windows 10: How to join an existing Windows 7 Homegroup: I'm sure this has come up dozens of times but every time I search for an answer, the advice simply says "just use the Homegroup utility" that came with Windows 10. That's all well and good but now that Microsoft has seen fit to delete the Homegroup wizard/utility in the...
  9. Homegroup does not exist

Homegroup does not exist: Homegroup does not exist in my laptop although I have win7 and there i can access but when i install win10 i can even find it i searched in Search box in Start I searched in control panal I searched in Setting but Nothing...
  10. Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup

Cannot create a new homegroup due to a no longer existing homegroup: Hi there! I've just upgraded my husband PC from Windows 7 to 10. Everything went well except that I can no longer connect to the network. After some attempt, I chose to delete all homegroup to create a new one. All right on my husband's computer (leave the homegroup),...