Windows 10: Windows Firewall - all inbound/oubound allowed but still some applications are blocked

Discus and support Windows Firewall - all inbound/oubound allowed but still some applications are blocked in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I have the following network setup: Network 1: computer A and B Network 2: computer B and C Computer B has two network adapters with... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Leifster, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Leifster Win User

Windows Firewall - all inbound/oubound allowed but still some applications are blocked

Hi,

I have the following network setup:

Network 1: computer A and B

Network 2: computer B and C

Computer B has two network adapters with separate subnets.

All computers have the same firewall settings.

- Firewall = ON

- Inbound connections = Allow

- Outbound connections = Allow

In addition I have 1 custom rule on computer B: All inbound connections from computer C is blocked

With this setup I would think that any type of communication between A and B is allowed, but I find this is not the case.

Example: From machine A I want to execute a command on machine B remotely and I try this command

WMIC /node:ComputerB process call create “sc stop servicename”

But then I get en RPC could not be reached error.

Researching the matter I find that I have to go to Control Panel and search Firewall. And the select "Allow an app through Windows firewall".

And then from the allowed apps list I have to find "Remote Assistance" and enable "Public". Then my command will work.

Can someone explain to me why "inbound allowed" does not already cover this?

Thanks in advance

Leifster

:)

Leifster, Oct 29, 2018

2. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

Code:
    Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate.

Action, Enabled, Service, Program,                     Protocol

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP

Block,  Yes,     Any,     C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP
    If these 2 rules were Outbound Rules, I'd say that client process 'mmc.exe' is blocked.

But applying equivalent logic (that 'mmc.exe' is blocked) to Inbound Rules doesn't make sense -- why would 'mmc.exe' (which created these Rules) block itself?

What (somewhat) makes sense is that 'mmc.exe' is a requester, and that these rules block all TCP & UDP datagrams & all processes.

If so, then there's quite a difference between Outbound & Inbound Rules.

In Outbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the target (the process that's blocked), whereas in Inbound Rules, 'Program' specifies the requester (the process that provokes blocking).

This is crucial reasoning because, if correct, then, as a consequence, every process is the target of Inbound Rules that Block.

What about Inbound Rules that Allow? I've always assumed that an Inbound+Allow means the specified 'Program' installs a listener (i.e., has handler(s) for the specified socket(s)).

I think that's pretty straightforward.

I've read what Microsoft provides and it's grossly inadequate -- what a surprise, eh?

Microsoft documentation presents only trivial explanation of how to complete the fields (example: "Type the path to the program in the text box"), or the tutorial's scope is limited (example: "On the Action page, select Allow the connection, and then click
     Next" -- no mention of "Block the connection").

Other web hits are just plain wrong (examples: "Program – Block or allow a program"; "Program - creates rule that controls connections for an app or program"; "if you are downloading a file through BitTorrent, the download of that file is filtered through an
     inbound rule" -- Rules control connections, not streams) or show ridiculous cases (example: "I want to block all outgoing connections on port 80").
    Does anyone know of an architectural reference or guidebook that explains how Firewall Rules are implemented in a running system?
    Warm Regards -- Mark.

MarkFilipak.Windows, Oct 29, 2018
  3. alan93 Win User
    Firewall no longer allowing "Allowed" program on Inbound Rule

Using Windows 10 and trying to allow a program to access my computer remotely through a specified port.

This used to work by allowing it in the firewall settings and turning on both public and private firewalls.

Now I have to turn off the public firewall to allow it to access my computer remotely even though it is in the inbound rules list with :

Profile: Private, Public

Enabled: Yes

Action: Allow:

Program: [path to program]

Everything else : any

This allowing used to work but now it doesn't.

alan93, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Steevo Win User

Windows Firewall - all inbound/oubound allowed but still some applications are blocked

Windows Firewall blocking program even with inbound/outbound rule enabled.

Windows firewall is like a fart when you have squirty dumplings, you shouldn't really trust it.

Disable the private network firewall, if the application works fine do this.

Open a CMD prompt window with admin rights. type in "netstat" without the quotes and press enter. You should get a list of what IP and port is connecting to what port and or service. Open those ports for the application, or just allow those ports to be unfiltered.

Steevo, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Firewall - all inbound/oubound allowed but still some applications are blocked - Similar Threads - Firewall inbound oubound

2. Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?: I have Windows 11 and am using Xfinity as my ISP. I have port forwarded Port 2346 in my router.In Defender Firewall I have set up an Inbound Rule for Port 2346 to "Allow the connection."Defender Firewall is still blocking the port. I know it is Defender Firewall because if I...
  3. Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows Defender Firewall blocking an inbound port?: I have Windows 11 and am using Xfinity as my ISP. I have port forwarded Port 2346 in my router.In Defender Firewall I have set up an Inbound Rule for Port 2346 to "Allow the connection."Defender Firewall is still blocking the port. I know it is Defender Firewall because if I...
  4. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  5. Windows Firewall Block (Mostly) All Outbound But Allow Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Firewall Block (Mostly) All Outbound But Allow Windows Update?: Im trying to improve W10 security by using Windows Firewall to block all outbound connections and only allow my select programs and services to connect. One issue ive found no solution for is how to make key Windows 10 components like Windows Update work without allowing...
  6. Free/cheap easy-to-use allow-by-default firewall to block applications

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Free/cheap easy-to-use allow-by-default firewall to block applications: Hello everyone A little background: I have a program on my computer that legitimately access the internet very, very regularly (a text editor that consults an online database and adds to it), but whenever it does so, it slows down the program. I would like to be able to...
  7. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked: Hi, First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall. My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to local gateway with UDP on port 53, but still for some reason it is being blocked. When opening the log window in Windows...
  8. Has anyone else had issues allowing inbound ports with Windows Firewall?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Has anyone else had issues allowing inbound ports with Windows Firewall?: I've been prototyping an OpenVPN setup and noticed that I have been unable to connect to it unless I turn Windows Firewall off. When I open the Advanced Windows Firewall settings I can add the needed ports to the outbound connections but when I add them to inbound they...
  9. Windows Firewall -- Blocking a program causes it to be allowed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall -- Blocking a program causes it to be allowed: [ATTACH] I went into my firewall settings. I set an inbound and outbound rule to block a program on all networks. It appeared to work. But when I went into the "allow applications" options, I see that my newly-created rules are there. Why is this? The only way I can remove...
  10. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks: Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate. Action, Enabled, Service, Program, Protocol Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP If these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender firewall has blocked some features alert mmc.exe