Windows 10: Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter

Discus and support Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A couple of days ago, I replaced my SSD with a bigger one. On the disk, I had two partitions - one 100 GB for Windows C: and one 400 GB for other stuff... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WebMaximus, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter

A couple of days ago, I replaced my SSD with a bigger one. On the disk, I had two partitions - one 100 GB for Windows C: and one 400 GB for other stuff F:. To replace the disk, I used a tool called AOMEI Backupper which comes with a disk cloning feature.

The cloning completed successfully without any issues, the computer started normally and everything seemed to be OK. Then, I noticed one strange thing when I was asked to allow applications through the Windows Firewall. Applications I already allowed long time ago. When looking closer, I realized why I was asked again to allow them though the firewall. For whatever reason, the path to applications on the F: partition after the cloning is D:0\ rather than F:\

I only see this in the Windows Firewall. I've checked in Windows Explorer, Disk Management, Diskpart and all looks OK and normal in all those places. It's just when looking at the Windows Firewall rules I see this odd syntax for the path. And only for applications on the F: partition.

Any advice how to force Windows Firewall to use the normal syntax again would be highly appreciated!

Here's a couple of screenshots showing the issue. The first one, you can see these weird looking paths highlighted. Above and below, the paths look normal as you can see. The paths beginning with F:\ are left since before the disk was cloned. These are the same as the paths now starting with D:0\ after the disk was cloned.

Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter 31de80c0-268e-4ace-a7c3-f3ff5647fc50?upload=true.jpg

The second screenshot shows what things look like in Windows Disk Management. As seen, it looks perfectly fine there and the partition in question is assigned the drive letter F. Just like it should be and was before the clone. So I really don't understand why Window Firewall is now referring to programs on the F partition using a path starting with D:0\ rather than F:\

Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter [​IMG]

:)

WebMaximus, Aug 14, 2020

2. Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

I recently replaced my old SSD drive with a bigger one to get some well-needed extra space. I used a program called AOMEI Backupper for the task.

It all went well but one thing I noticed afterwards is how I've had to allow applications residing on one of the partitions of the new disk through the Windows Firewall again. Even when I already did that a long time ago.

When I checked the rules, I quickly realized why this is. For whatever reason, the path for any application residing on this particular partition and asking for allowance through the firewall, results in this weird path (or drive letter rather) when it gets added to the rules list.

Elsewhere, it looks all normal including Windows Explorer, Windows Disk Management etc.

I've already asked the AOMEI guys the same thing but haven't heard back from them yet and I also figured it might be good asking in here as well. This since I'm not sure if it's a pure AOMEI issue or more of a general Windows issue you can encounter regardless what cloning software you're using to close one SSD to another one such as in my case.

FYI, there are 2 partitions on the cloned disk. A system partition for Windows 10 Pro called C and a second data partition called assigned the drive letter F. The second one is the one causing this issue. I've tried removing rules for some of the applications on the system (C) partition and then have them re-added by running the application. No issues there, the path will start with C:\ just like you would expect. So this issue is just for the data partition.

Really odd and I don't get why this happens only for the Windows Firewall and not elsewhere.

Below is a screenshot showing this. Where you can see how the partition of the disk assigned F: instead is called D:0 in the Windows Firewall while it's correctly named in Windows Explorer for example. Edited to clarify, looking at the screenshot and the rules, those added by x-plane.exe are newly added. Where this weird drive letter is seen. The two ones below by CLS2Sim are old rules added before all this started. Where the drive letter is correctly F: instead of this weird looking D:0

Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter [​IMG]

Many thanks in advance for any help!

- - - Updated - - -

Just to demonstrate, I launched CLS2Sim and sure enough...as you can tell already at this screen, the drive letter is D:0 rather than F:

WebMaximus, Aug 14, 2020
  3. Odd paths in windows firewall

For some reason, when looking up the rules in my firewall. Some of the rules have odd paths. See below. I do have an F: drive, but these files are now located on a K: drive. So I have now idea what the "F:0" or "F:2" is about. Any ideas?

bobsagetfullhou, Aug 14, 2020
  4. Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Hello Andre: I followed the instructions carefully and this is what this process amounted to. I followed this step by step.

Press Windows key + X - Worked fine

Click Disk Management - Worked fine

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it -
    All my drives showed up with there drive letters. When I clicked on the drive - Local Disk (D) (IWindows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter :). The panel came up " change drive letter and path.

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths - for local disk (D)" and in the panel it said "Allow access to this volume by using the following drive letter and paths". In
    the panel that shows up it shows a drive icon and the letter I: . Below this are the options to ADD, CHANGE and REMOVE.

Click Add - When I click the ADD button a new panel comes up and the only option allowed is "Mount in the following empty NTFS folder". When I enter the letter D:
    ( the drive letter I'm trying to get too) and click on the OK button it opens a new panel comes up and tells me "The device is not ready".

Click Assign the following drive letter - I then go back a few panels and select CHANGE, this time the same panel opens up but this time the other option is locked
    in as my only choice - "Assign the following drive letter". I enter D: again and in the pull down menu the letter D is not available for me to choose.

Click in the Drive letter list box - Then I go back to the previous panel and select REMOVE, now the new panel tells me "Some of the programs you rely on drive letters
    might not respond correctly. Are you sure you want to remove this drive letter. I did not proceed as I've done this before and it does remove the drive letter I: but the in Disk Management the now D: dive is no longer accessible.

So now I have explored all three options that were presented when I right clicked on the "Click Change Drive Letter and Paths" In the end I was not able to remove the drive letters I and J from disk management

Thanks very much for the assistance, do you have any other suggestions I can use to correct this issue? I thought I might try deleting the D letter leaving the drive letter I, then going back in and try changing that
    drive letter back to D done in two separate steps??? Bill

billmasonismad, Aug 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter

1. Windows Firewall and odd looking paths showing D:0\ instead of drive letter - Similar Threads - Firewall odd looking

2. Why whenever I reinstall Windows, it shows me drive 1 instead of drive 0?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why whenever I reinstall Windows, it shows me drive 1 instead of drive 0?: When I reinstall windows, it says drive 1 instead of drive 0. I only have 2 drives, the USB to do the reinstall and my C: drive. Is there any way to fix this? In drive 1, it has the amount my C: drive has so do I have to worry about this or not and is there anyway to fix...
  3. Why whenever I reinstall Windows, it shows me drive 1 instead of drive 0?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why whenever I reinstall Windows, it shows me drive 1 instead of drive 0?: When I reinstall windows, it says drive 1 instead of drive 0. I only have 2 drives, the USB to do the reinstall and my C: drive. Is there any way to fix this? In drive 1, it has the amount my C: drive has so do I have to worry about this or not and is there anyway to fix...
  4. Drive letter changed from D: to E:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive letter changed from D: to E:: Recently, I found an old flash drive that I had. I plugged it in my computer to see what was on it. The issue is, the flash drive I used every day wasn't plugged in, so it stole the drive letter from my main flash drive, and it jumbled everything up. Now, for most people, the...
  5. Odd appended letters in Services

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd appended letters in Services: Windows 10 I had occasion to look at services.msc to check on a service. Several service names have the letters "7b7e7" added to them, like "clipboard User Service_7b7e7" or "Messaging Service_7b7e7" etc. WHat's with the extra numbers? \ 183922
  6. Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Strange looking drive letter in Windows Firewall: I recently replaced my old SSD drive with a bigger one to get some well-needed extra space. I used a program called AOMEI Backupper for the task. It all went well but one thing I noticed afterwards is how I've had to allow applications residing on one of the partitions of...
  7. DVD drive letter not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive letter not showing: DVD drive letter not showing in Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-drive-letter-not-showing/46115d53-baad-49ba-904f-b73fb669a6f7
  8. D drive installations instead of C drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    D drive installations instead of C drive: During installations of any of my apps I always try to install them on my D drive. (Not MS Store apps, I can't stand that drivel.) I notice that certain apps absolutely refuse to offer any alternative installation location besides the C drive (system drive). No such dialogue...
  9. Looking For A Firewall

Looking For A Firewall: Im looking for a paid/free firewall that you can block all network activity from the taskbar. Anyone know of any? 119293
  10. Odd paths in windows firewall

Odd paths in windows firewall: For some reason, when looking up the rules in my firewall. Some of the rules have odd paths. See below. I do have an F: drive, but these files are now located on a K: drive. So I have now idea what the "F:0" or "F:2" is about. Any ideas? [img] 92792