Windows 10: Windows Firewall block outbound?

Discus and support Windows Firewall block outbound? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Anyone ever manage to put together a working windows firewall policy to block outbound traffic to private & public networks on Windows 10? We're... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/QuistyTreppe, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Windows Firewall block outbound?

Anyone ever manage to put together a working windows firewall policy to block outbound traffic to private & public networks on Windows 10? We're working on Always On VPN, using a device tunnel & 'ForceTunnel'. Microsoft defines 'ForceTunnel' as: All traffic except for local traffic must go over the tunnel. We have a security & content protection requirement to block all private/public traffic except for wifi captive portals.

I keep running into blockers surrounding network location awareness. All documentation is 10 years plus old. If anyone has one and is willing/able to share an export of their policy, I'd be forever grateful!

submitted by /u/QuistyTreppe
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/QuistyTreppe, Feb 24, 2020

2. Windows 10 Firewall - outbound 'block all' causes Windows to need Re-activating after a while

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me please? I am rather security conscious and go a step further than most people - I BLOCK all OUTBOUND firewall connections BY DEFAULT. I then create specific 'allow' rules to allow each friendly application through my firewall
    to access the internet. This is to:

a) Protect my system from initiating mysterious outbound connections all over the internet from apps preinstalled that I have no idea do what. Hopefully this would also ensure my computer was never used as an internet bot (if it got compromised).

b) Allows me to control every application that 'I' know and pre-approve that application accessing the internet.

c) Seems a sensible, and wise thing to do.

d) Saves data transmissions costs when I'm paying for the internet connection (I want to use my allowance on what I want to do).

Hopefully the above doesn't seem unreasonable?

It's all been working perfectly for two weeks, when I was surprised to find that Windows 10 requires re-activation when it can't 'call home'. I have spent three hours of quality of time with Microsoft call centre, but haven't found anyone who knows what
    blocking outbound firewall connections actually means. I was lucky enough to get them to reactivate my genuine copy of windows after much haggling and persuasion (phew!). But my outbound firewall blocking is definitely causing problems/complications that
    Windows doesn't like.

I would like to please ask, I have Googled (or should I say Bing'd) this topic, but there's not much (ZERO) out there on:

1) What minimum list of applications does Windows require for OUTBOUND firewall connectivity. For instance there's lots that can AND SHOULD be blocked by default (Adobe Reader needs outbound connectivity by default? - I think not!).

2) For Windows Upgrade to work (inc online Activation / checkup) what applications / services need to 'call home' on a regular basis (so that I can create outbound rules that work just for those).

3) Windows Firewall logging is abysmal - it's not user friendly to decipher when it's blocking stuff that's requesting access. Plus there's no notifications.

4) Some people are suggesting allowing svchost.exe outbound access, but that seems to be a catchall for lots of applications to access the internet.

Thank you for your time reading this and replying if you're an absolute wizard on Windows Firewall Windows Firewall block outbound? :eek:)

LindsayLovelock, Feb 24, 2020
  3. Arctucas Win User
    Windows Firewall blocking websites

I have blocked IP addresses, e.g. 255.255.255.255, not URLs, e.g. somewebsite.co m.

As far as unblocking, look at your Windows Firewall rules. Do you see anything that is blocked? If you do, click on the Scope tab and see what is listed there.

Arctucas, Feb 24, 2020
  4. SpanksIPB Win User

Windows Firewall block outbound?

Cant find windows updates with outbound blocking on.

When I enable outbound blocking in the windows firewall on windows 10 and attempt to check for updates I get the following message.

"We couldn't connect to the update service. We'll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn't work, make sure you're connected to the Internet."

I have created a rule to allow the wuauserv service through the firewall like I did previously with windows 7. Since it works works with outbound blocking disabled I am assuming there is something else I need to allow through the firewall but I cannot figure
    out what.

SpanksIPB, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Windows Firewall block outbound?

1. Windows Firewall block outbound? - Similar Threads - Firewall block outbound

2. MDE outbound firewall block seen on windows process in the reports under firewall outbound.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    MDE outbound firewall block seen on windows process in the reports under firewall outbound.: We see firewall outbound blocked on svhost , winword and backgroundTaskHost.exe Ex : svchost.exe was blocked from communicating with by Windows Firewall...
  3. MDE outbound firewall block seen on windows process in the reports under firewall outbound.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MDE outbound firewall block seen on windows process in the reports under firewall outbound.: We see firewall outbound blocked on svhost , winword and backgroundTaskHost.exe Ex : svchost.exe was blocked from communicating with by Windows Firewall...
  4. MDE outbound firewall block seen on windows process in the reports under firewall outbound.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  6. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Firewall Outbound rules: I set windows firewall to block all inbound and outbound connections on all profiles Public, Domain, and Private. I then created an outbound rule for one specific program that i want to allow through. I am looking at 2 computers, both with the exact same firewall rules. One...
  7. Windows Firewall Outbound rules

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Windows Firewall Block (Mostly) All Outbound But Allow Windows Update?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Firewall Block (Mostly) All Outbound But Allow Windows Update?: Im trying to improve W10 security by using Windows Firewall to block all outbound connections and only allow my select programs and services to connect. One issue ive found no solution for is how to make key Windows 10 components like Windows Update work without allowing...
  9. Outbound Firewall.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outbound Firewall.: Hello everyone. For last couple of days I'm feeling like someone hacked my computer. I can see a lot of weird things installed in system. I've already put everything off but I wish You guys to let me know if there's something wrong. Thank You very much. Code: Name...
  10. Windows Firewall Public Outbound restrictions

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Firewall Public Outbound restrictions: Hi Everyone, How are you all handling the fact windows Firewall does not support wildcards? We want to restrict all outbound traffic to stop casual droppers based on a whitelist. However it seems several Microsoft app's are breaking the standard location convention...